Fortinet Blocking PhantomPilots Anyone Know Why?

Reaction score
I just had a new, business-class EOC (Ethernet over copper) installed by MegaPath, and to my amazement not only was I hindered getting to where I wanted to go the place in question was this domain. Go figure. the mechanism doing the blocking is called FortiGuard on something called Fortinet. Anyone know what the relationships might be here? And how they might trickle down to MegaPath? I'm reall pissedy at MegaPath. This is just the latest in a series of lousy performances, and all I am getting about this issue is silence. Thanks.

Fortiguard is a device to act as a firewall, content filter, etc. You can set it to restrict certain types of traffic - for instance if you block adult content you can't get to playboy, if you expand that to another category you can't see the recent swimsuit issue. Or you can block guns category. Etc. maybe one of these was set - basically overzealous network administrator perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Fortiguard is a device to act as a firewall, content filter, etc. You can set it to restrict certain types of traffic - for instance if you block adult content you can't get to playboy, if you expand that to another category you can't see the recent swimsuit issue. Or you can block guns category. Etc. maybe one of these was set - basically overzealous network administrator perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh, so that is probably in their gateway hardware. Assuming that is the case, that is not so serious. Probably a piece of recycled equipment where there must have been a serious problem with the employees spending too much time on this domain :) That appears to be the only domain affected, and naturally, I found it right away.

Of course, my access in not supposed to be hindered at all. I do my own firewalling. The fact that it came up at all was surprising. Anyway, thanks for your response, and I hope that is it. MegaPath still has not responded. The Device is an AdTran, NetVantra 838. I looked for a web page at a couple of the standard http ports, but no go. Course, MegaPath probably has it locked down anyway.

The Adtran would be their gateway/router, and if that is all that you have at your site, it may be upstream from you where the FortiGuard appliance is installed. That way they maintain one for all the customers instead of one at each site. Chances are it's leftover cruft like you said from who ever had your router/ip before you. Pretty bad that they aren't getting back to you. Have to put them on the "do not use" list if I ever come across them!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl