Forgot to remove gimbal bracket

A few weeks ago we were out in the country for about five days just flying the drone -- on our own 2000 acres.

On the 3rd day of flying we were out early in the morning about 30 minutes before the sun was scheduled to come up. We set everything up and waited until we could see the sun poking over the horizon. I started booting everything up and couldn't get the drone to connect. We shut everything down and did a re-start. Got the same results. We went through a couple more re-starts and re-checks to make sure everything was ok. Took out the full battery and replaced it with another full battery.

After about 15 minutes later I just gave up. Just knew there was something with the drone or the go fly software. I set the drone on the back of my pickup. After staring at it for about five minutes and saw the problem. We hadn't got the cable out to hook up the tablet to the remote control. ;);)

Problem solved. I have a list of pre-flight tasks and go over them religiously at the beginning of each start up. I did it that day, but just over-looked step 3 on my list. Back at the house, I re-worked my pre-flight list and put the "connect cable from tablet to remote control" in dark red ink.

Yes, I am old. It happens to everyone regardless of age. Us humans are prone to mistakes. No need to bash yourself over them. We laughed at this snafu every day after that. We haven't made that mistake again.

I like the idea of tying a piece of ribbon to the plastic gymbal stabilizer. Going to do that as soon as I post this reply. It is a good idea.

Reactions: JJErrico and MTO
Us old farts need check lists for sure. Some days are better than others.
The other day I walked into another room and actually remembered why I went in there!
Of course it was the bathroom.

Reactions: MTO and D0CT0R
This works for me :)

IMG_20180602_074504_1.jpg

Reactions: gsreinke
I never forget to remove the gimbal bracket as I never put it on.
I think the gimbal is sufficiently protected in the original P4 case, if you are not throwing it all around.

Reactions: planedr
I flew my first time with the gimble held by the bracket. Nothing happened. I guess I was lucky.
Thanks for the ribbon and pre-flight check list advice.

I have a set list in my mind I go by, it's all by rote by now. Everything assuming all batteries are fresh.
Turn on R/C, turn on A/C, remove gimbal bracket. Wait for satellite lock, start up A/C, wait a few seconds, take off or start mission.
I turn on battery on A/C first because it takes a few seconds to boot up, and in the meantime, I'm snapping off the gimbal clamp.
BTW, I've broken 2 DJI clamps in the last several months, I bought a Polar Pro bracket for replacement and it's much sturdier, not made out of that cheap brittle plastic DJI uses
Remove gimbal bracket BEFORE A/C power

Started my p4p and noticed that the gimbal bracket was still on, which I removed in a hurry! It's so easy to overlook and got me thinking how stupid I am and how not to forget again. Took care of that by affixing an annoyingly ugly red pocka doted ribbon to the thing. If I forget about it again, I shouldn't have a drone...
I have a miniature "Remove Before Flight" banner from the zipper of a jacket. It's now on my gimbal.

My Fellow Auld Farts, (I pick up my pension in two weeks time, Yahooowhat?)

Trip one: Arrived at flying site, set everything up, about to do the business and realised that I had not packed the iPad!!!! (It had actually jumped out the kit bag and wanted a game of hide and seek.) Sweary words as I sat watching my mate having all the fun. :mad:

Trip two: First ... put the iPad in the kit bag and zipped it up in my nice Manfrotto D2. Put the charged batteries in and put the R/C on top up charge. Impossible to miss it on the charge point. It is at the door of my kitchen and I have to reach above the charger to switch off the lights. ... did I mention the bit about being impossible?? More sweary words. :mad:

So, I have since tightened up on the checklists and always have a box of Post-It Pads handy and stick them on my specs as I think of anything I might need. Specs are stuck on the tip of my nose so the Post-Its don't interfere with vision. Um... as far as the Gimbal security goes, I think I have it buttoned now. The only time I think I might miss it/them would be in a white out blizzard. If I tried taking off with these fitted, I should be led off to the Happy Valley Care Home! :p

I trimmed a section of the foam block to accommodate the Remote so everything sits snug in the kit bags. Easy to make out of rigid packing foam and a sharp filleting knife (or similar) and a scalpel for tidying up the edges. I have made 3x blocks and they are tailored for the P3/4k, P3Pro and my P4 Standard. The lens clamp has a parking slot beside the Lens Rose Shade on the bottom of the block. Helps to prevent me forgetting where I put it.... hopefully.

Hope these give you fellow BOF's an idea for what to do with your idle no-fly time.:D;)

Dropbox - Gimbal01.jpg

Dropbox - Gimbal02.jpg

Hilarious replies here and some good advice!

I have on occasion forgot to put a memory card in my land camera, thus always chimping through my first couple of shots to know that the images have recorded. I also go into the menu and set the function to not allow photos to be taken without a card installed. I think that function is not available in the Phantom?

I've had my moments with both dslr and film cameras, nothing catastrophic for my clients, usually time consuming for me.

Things you learn along the way are priceless. Things I forget are usually stupid and can be pricey!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4