Forced Go App Update -Workaround

Reaction score
Hi, I will give you all a "short" history on my Phantom 3 Std. (Not that much could go wrong in under 2 months)

After owning a Phantom for less than 2 months I have persevered with it having some sort of issue almost every time I tried to fly it.
Being new to flying drones I opened the box and charged up the batteries. Read the manual while charging and as I have done with every other piece of computer related hardware, connected up and proceeded to update any firmware. (normally any issues are sorted, that's why they release updates)

First problem/mistake.. Unknown firmware version.. I am sure you are all now familiar with. I assume the drone was old stock with an old version on it. I downloaded the firmware and tried via the sd card and did not have success.
Result. No Flying.

Waited patiently until DJI fixed the problem with the App so I could do the update the way it was intended. After a nervous (noisy) wait it worked. Wow I can go and fly.. Wrong. The App reported an issue with my battery and showed one cell was faulty and advised not to fly!!
By now I was that pi...d. I though I had wasted money on a POS. Anyway a trip back to the retailer and they swapped the battery for a new one.

Finally I was getting to fly it.. Woke up on a Sunday to go for a fly and the tablet had updated the Go App overnight unknown by myself to the famous 3.1.2 version complete with the distant homepoint problem.. Again No flying..

I then proceeded to install/delete apps until I found one I could feel confident with and was quite happy with the result until yesterday when I went to use my Phantom only to find I was NOT allowed to use the app that I had on my tablet & I HAD to upgrade! No Option!.
If Apple forced me to update my phone and stop me from making or receiving a call until I did, the phone would be in the bin and I would never purchase another Apple product!

How would we all be if two versions back we were forced to use version 3.1.2 ! How many lost drones would there be? They would not even recognise there was an issue and warn users to be aware.

As you can probably see I am not happy with DJI. (The Company)
From reading their forum, every fault with one of their drones is pilot error so I don't hold my breath for any warranty.. Time for some mods.. Hardware & software..

To get around the "FORCED" upgrade to the App this is what I have done.. It is working so far.
When the App gives you the tip - You must upgrade.. Do the following... Android Only. If it doesn't work you have not lost anything. Just delete the app and reinstall.

1. Close the app ( At bottom of screen left Arrow, Up arrow and square) hit the
square and wait until X at top corner of small app screen.
2. From file manager open /android/data/dji.pilot/cache/list.json as a text file.
3. Edit the file and change line 4 -> "significant1":"1", to "significant1":"0", then save.
4. Go into folder /dji.pilot/ and delete asdklog.s (when you start your app this will be recreated.
5. Go back into your DJI App and you will still have your old version. I did have it once promt me to
advise there was an update but I had the option to remind me later rather than I must upgrade. I selected "remind me later" and the remider has not came back again. It may come back tomorrow.

EDIT:
It did tell me each day to perform the update and I changed the list.json file again and deleted the asdklog.s file. Sometimes when you reopen DJi Go it looks like it did not work. Just close DJI Go as in step 1 and restart the app. It works ok for me.

No need for root access.
End edit..

At least I still have Gmaps and can use v3.0.1 app with wifi on. It will probably happen each day you fire the app up, but the two changes will allow you to use the version you want.

I ran two batteries down today using the old app and still have wifi turned on to cache my G maps.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey thanks Oz. I have a rooted Galaxy tablet I tried this on before I did it on my phone, where it screwed me yesterday.

I used X-plore or something like that to do your instructions and it did not work.

I know what I am doing, as far as android, and rooting and the linux file sytem, etc...
Anyway, after my test I went back and checked significant 1 1 was back to a 1.

So I went through the procedure again to see if it was me or Android by editing the list.json, closing everything down and booting my tablet back up but not opening DJI, and my 0 was still there. Turned on DJI Go and got the message from hell, shut it down and went into file explorer again, and sure enough, my 0 was now a 1.

I looked around for file permissions, as Linux/Unix/
Android Loooooves permissions, and did not find it. I used to have a different file explorer that was more technical oriented, I will see if I can find it.

Thanks

Here's a method which will prevent the app from contacting its update server in the first place. Your Android must be rooted for this to work since it involves editing the hosts file. There may be other ways which doesn't require root such as with app like Trend Micro, but I haven't tested it.

Alright here's how:
1. Install Hosts Editor from Play Store. You can use any other hosts editing app you want but I like this one.
2. Add the following entry:
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Hostname: upgrade.bgcentre.com
3. Clear your DJI Go app cache
4. Run the Go App
5. Enjoy nag free Go App with Google Maps
1f642.png
:).

Tested on version 2.9.1 of the Go App
That R O C K S. That was what I was looking for, but was a long long way from finding it.

Thank You thank you.
Here's a method which will prevent the app from contacting its update server in the first place. Your Android must be rooted for this to work since it involves editing the hosts file. There may be other ways which doesn't require root such as with app like Trend Micro, but I haven't tested it.

Alright here's how:
1. Install Hosts Editor from Play Store. You can use any other hosts editing app you want but I like this one.
4. Run the Go App
1f642.png

Sweet. Just took down my Craigslist ad. :)

dji GO 2.8.1

Alright here's how:
4. Run the Go App
1f642.png

For the third time I drove out into the countryside to fly my little obnoxious contrary toy and after doing SPECTRA9's Hosts file mod it worked flawlwessly on DJI GO 2.8.1. Thanks again.

I just turned on my tablet and opened up Go App. I was prompted again about the updated app but not told I had to update.
I had the choice to "remind me later" which I selected and am still using 3.0.1. I will probably get this reminder each day as once I select remind me later I do not get the prompt even after a reboot for the rest of the day.

Did not do anything with root access on mine and would not post anything that required root access.

@spectra9 idea is also great.

I had done similar with our firewall rules to stop access as the tablet only has access through our wifi. Then I went looking on the device for a workaround. I was all set to fly when the prompt came up.. Needed something fast.

Actually anything that gets around a "You MUST do or Else" is a good idea.
My car is capable of going over 200kph, If I go over the speed limit (100kph) I have broken the law but it still my choice. I would not purchase the car if the manufacturer limited it to 100kph.. On the other hand I would consider purchasing an E vehicle that was not capable of 100kph as it was MY choice..

Cheers

Glad to hear that. May I know why do you prefer this version over other versions such as the 2.9.1?
Spectra, no particular reason for 281, it is just a version I used for a while back shortly after I got my drone, and it has worked great for me. I have read so many posts here concerning GO issues, and 281 is stable and reliable, and I kept the APK from way back so I can easily sideload it onto everything.

BTW, am I missing something with my old reliable? I notice you use 291, any particular reason?

Phantom 3 Advanced Software

DJI Go 2.8.1
Aircraft 1.9.60
Remote C 1.6.0
Flight Controller sn 03Z0243119 modelGL-300B

I have learned from Windows, that newer is not a guarantee that it is better.
These are the ones which have been completely trouble free for me. Knock on wood, I havea lot of flights and zero flyaways or anything crazy.

Thanks for the help. I had to do the update too. But my p3s' video wouldn't stay connected. Lost connection about every minute. So I put 2.9.1 back in an edited it per instructions and now I have Google maps and my video stays connected!
Thanks again!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
To get around the "FORCED" upgrade to the App this is what I have done.. It is working so far.....

Tried it and it didn't work, still got the forced upgrade. Went back to edit the file and noticed the version it showed was 3.1.3. I.m running 2.9.1 so I changed the version shown to 2.9.1 and it works now. Thanks.

If anyone else has the same problem I did just change the version number to the version you are running.

Hi Kenny,
Also I found it will ask you again the next day. After the edit to the first file and deleting the second it may look like it did not work. Just close the App and restart it and it seems to work.

I edited my first post with this info.

spectra9 solution will also work.

Cheers

I did a search for the file "list.json" There were 2 files with this name. One was under a update directory. (sorry i forget the exact name) I edited it the same as the first list.json file. Then it worked for me at least one days flying.

1. Close the app ( At bottom of screen left Arrow, Up arrow and square) hit the
square and wait until X at top corner of small app screen.
2. From file manager open /android/data/dji.pilot/cache/list.json as a text file.
3. Edit the file and change line 4 -> "significant1":"1", to "significant1":"0", then save.
4. Go into folder /dji.pilot/ and delete asdklog.s (when you start your app this will be recreated.

Well today it came back with the must update screen. I re-edited list.json and it works again. Least it worked for a day... My Shield tablet isn't rooted so that I can edit my Host file. But my moto x pure is rooted. I'll use my phone if i have to. I bet this update leads to making you update your firmware too...Then you will have to buy DJI batteries. I'm beginning to wonder who really owns my P3s..

You can install Version 2.4.2 there is no Force to Update..just search for the .apk file of that Version and install..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20