Football-sized drone flown 20m from Heathrow-bound plane

Here we go again. Football sized drone at 11000 ft! Yes, I know our phantoms have service ceilings higher than that, but to actually climb to that altitude takes some serious battery power. It would take 10-15 min to get that high and batteries would likely go before that from a combination of drain (climbing is hard work) and temp. Bet whatever they saw did go by pretty fast. At that altitude, the jet was still probably doing 250-300 mph. A stationary object (can you say balloon?) would zip past in an instant. I would like to see the exact description that the flight crew gave. Bet they describe it as something with a light on it and everyone just jumps on the bandwagon to assume it is a drone.

Wonder why they can't locate the "drone" operator...

Another polythene bag near miss.

It's time to debunk this nonsense about drones at 11,000 feet. Why do aircraft not have hi-res cameras facing forwards at the wingtips and in the cockpit. Come on, airlines, dashcams have been about for years, and you can't be bothered to fit them. I can image the cockpit voice recorder. 'Whoa, did you see that! Nope, I was reading my science fantasy novel about UFOs that you lent me...'

Every UFO 'sighting' has become a drone 'sighting'. Flashing magenta hoohah...

Its just ridiculous...that's 3.3km high... And every news outlet carrying exactly the same copy...one almost suspects a conspiracy...

Stock picture of a Karma drone
Passenger jet in 'near-miss' with drone above London

Stock picture of a Yuneec drone
Drone flown 20m from jet 11,000ft over London

Stock picture of a Phantom 2
Football-sized drone flies within yards of passenger jet bound for Heathrow | Daily Mail Online

Exactly the same stock picture of a Phantom 2 as above story
Football-sized drone flown 20m from Heathrow-bound plane - BBC News

Exactly the same stock picture of a Phantom 2 as the above two stories
Football-sized drone flown close to passenger jet over London

It makes you wonder where they get 'news' from...?

Here we go again. Football sized drone at 11000 ft! Yes, I know our phantoms have service ceilings higher than that, but to actually climb to that altitude takes some serious battery power..
If running software, the Phantoms are limited 1640 above take off point. Chance are _very_ good it was not a DJI product and rather some home made drone (if it was anything at all).

Maybe I'm seeing more than is there lolol but isn't it odd that these stories keep popping up about drones and airliners above cities in the UK. Ik they pop up in headlines from other places too but it seems the majority keep making headlines over the same places in UK.

If anyone wants to read the reports of other aircraft, and drones they are here

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/ ... -meeting-June-2016/

Strange how they cant describe it or it may not look like a drone, but the report always assumes it is

I guess some of them are but all of them, really!

Why dont they show up on radar, usually plenty of metal to reflect signals, or are we all flying 'stealth' drones?

To be fair biggin hill airport is mostly for small private planes. It's only a few miles from me but that's one hell of a flight that drone must of had

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This guys has flown his Phantom up to an altitude of 12,467 feet (3,800 m).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Drones at 11k feet. Would take ages to ascend to that altitude. Quick to come down though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Actually it wouldn't take that long, theoretically. DJI lists the Phantom 4's ascent speed at 6 m/s. 11k feet is about 3300 meters. Doing the math, it would take about 550 seconds, or less than 10 minutes to ascend to that height. Although that doesn't consider wind/drag/pressure/temperature.

DJI also states the P4's descent speed at 4 m/s. It would take about 14 minutes to get back to the ground. Total up and down would be about one battery's worth. Considering all those other factors, the bird would probably freefall the last couple of hundred feet lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31