Follow me

Reaction score
Stupid question so I'm prepared for the smart *** brainiacs to chime in!!!
But for us normal people LOL does anyone know when using the follow me if you have to have the controller with you or can you just have the phone or the device you're using to play the DJ I go app on with you or do you have to have the controller and the phone for instance if I want to do a follow me on my motorcycle what would I need?

You'd need both your GPS enabled device (phone or cell tablet) and your controller. It is very easy to use, just flip it to F with the bird at least 10m up in the air, you can set how far you want it to stay from you. Then move around and it follows you like a lap dog! Works extremely well from what I've seen so far :) Careful you don't go faster than the drone can keep up :)

Reactions: QaaUz and biggin
Do you know if it'll work if I put the remote in my saddle bag?
I'll find out this weekend but thought maybe you or someone may know?
I generally pick up between 17 and 19 satellites

Do you know if it'll work if I put the remote in my saddle bag?
I'll find out this weekend but thought maybe you or someone may know?
I generally pick up between 17 and 19 satellites
You can put the controller anywhere as long as your device stays plugged into it and the controller can maintain communication with the bird. It uses the controller to relay your GPS coordinates.

Reactions: biggin
You'd need both your GPS enabled device (phone or cell tablet) and your controller. It is very easy to use, just flip it to F with the bird at least 10m up in the air, you can set how far you want it to stay from you. Then move around and it follows you like a lap dog! Works extremely well from what I've seen so far :) Careful you don't go faster than the drone can keep up :)
The standard ipad mini 2 will not work with follow me.

The standard ipad mini 2 will not work with follow me.
Surely if it has cell connection it will? I said a cell tablet. I actually have a non cell tablet (IPad Air 2) but I tried it using my phone as a personal hotspot and it worked. It's a bit of a *** though so I will use my iPhone 6 for this.

I have a Wifi only Ipad mini 2. They don't even have GPS as far as I know so I'd have to use my Iphone 6 if I want to play around with Follow Me.

Does it recenter to face you? If I turn for example

Well, no... and it does not need to. Think of Follow Me as the camera "following" the subject. You place the P3 where you want it.... the correct height and distance and adjust the camera to frame the subject you want to see. You click start and (this is the important part), the P3 will maintain that same aspect at all times. So you can set the P3 100' to your right and it move forward and it will stay 100' to your right. Turn and run at the P3 and it will fly backwards to remain 100' away. Run to the left and it moves to the left. Perhaps a better way to say this is if you set it 100' to your north it will always stay 100' to your north, no matter what direction you move. So it's not following behind you ("follow me"), it's maintaining it's relationship to you.

On the prior Phantom's they _would_ actually follow behind you at all times. They simply flew to within a few feet of the last known location of the controller. The P3 uses the GPS from the display device to always move in _relationship_ of the last known location. This might be 100' south or 50' east or 200' northeast of that location. But it's always that same relationship.

Well, no... and it does not need to. Think of Follow Me as the camera "following" the subject. You place the P3 where you want it.... the correct height and distance and adjust the camera to frame the subject you want to see. You click start and (this is the important part), the P3 will maintain that same aspect at all times. So you can set the P3 100' to your right and it move forward and it will stay 100' to your right. Turn and run at the P3 and it will fly backwards to remain 100' away. Run to the left and it moves to the left. Perhaps a better way to say this is if you set it 100' to your north it will always stay 100' to your north, no matter what direction you move. So it's not following behind you ("follow me"), it's maintaining it's relationship to you.

On the prior Phantom's they _would_ actually follow behind you at all times. They simply flew to within a few feet of the last known location of the controller. The P3 uses the GPS from the display device to always move in _relationship_ of the last known location. This might be 100' south or 50' east or 200' northeast of that location. But it's always that same relationship.
Thank you. Though it seems odd if I turn and go the phantom will not change it's angle.. So it will change from follow me to fly alongside me..

Does anyone know what happen if you lost your connection for any reason in Follow me mode?

With 3rd party app, litchi, it is much more flexible.

You can have it follow a 2nd device without the remote. Does sound very safe putting rc in saddle bag. Your sticks can be accidentally pushed causing AC to descend

Also, instead of having it maintain a constant bearing, you can have it maintain a constance position relative to you. Ie, always in front of you or always to your left even after turning. Autoflight can also do this

Hovers in place

Well, seems to better than go back to home since you might be moved far way from it.
So in case of controller injure should wait the battery be drained?

Maybe the best behavior would be go back to home if having enough battery.

Does it adjust for elevation?
Nope. Stays same altitude as when you first engage follow me mode, even if operator/RC changes altitude. But you can adjust altitude manually whilst it follows you (using left stick).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4