Focus at night is giving me fits!

Oh ya..and im in Canada too!

All I am saying is not to draw too much attention to yourself.... Flying at night in the middle of a city can draw attention quickly.

Remember that we may not agree with the laws, and in Canada they are dracononian, but they are the ones with the guns...

Last edited:
First night flight. Down res to 1080 from 4k. What a major improvement over the P3A, but, no surprise there lol! Btw, my bird has two cree flytron strobes on it- one top and one bottom just behind the back of the gimbal. Also there's been a lot of debate about the mechanical shutter but it seems to me that it's really helping video during yaw. Very smooth now- no more stuttering.

Also there's been a lot of debate about the mechanical shutter but it seems to me that it's really helping video during yaw. Very smooth now- no more stuttering. ]

The mechanical shutter only works when taking photos. It cannot help video captures. Video jitters during yaws are caused by having the shutter speed too fast. The shutter speed should be twice the fps to optimize smooth yaw movements.

I keep to that rule during video, always. But I do notice much smoother yaw to the p4p video than the P3 and I certainly employed the same shutter rule with the p3. Something is working better, lol.

I have found that flying just before sunset works fine. In post processing, I can adjust the image/video to appear to have been taken in a much darker setting. The other advantage is I don't get clipping due to the high contrast between the lights and the darks.

On another note, how difficult was it to get a "waiver" or "authorization" to flight after sunset? Did you even bother to abide by the FAA rules?

It took quite a lot of research and preparation to get a daylight waiver as I wrote it up myself. It was granted no questions asked for a term of four years. This however, was a recreational flight.

I should really add my faa 107 and daylight waiver credentials to my signature at this point to help avoid the well meaning but unnecessary reminders all, and I mean all the time lol. What places ban night flights?

Agree, 100% ............................

GadgetGuy has mentioned he sets infinity focus on something 6-10' away and his long range focus in the air is tack sharp.
While I preset my touch AF on something well lit 6-10' away before launch, it is not intended as an infinity focus. It is intended as a hyperfocal distance that includes infinity. Subtle difference, but important. Once set, I switch the touch function in GO 4 (ver. 4.0.0) over to exposure, so as not to accidentally reset my focus, while turning off the still incessant High Wind Warnings, by touching them on the screen in the upper left. I have no need to reset the focus for the duration of the 23 minute flight video, even if I land in complete darkness. Personally, I would prefer the same fixed focus of the P4 on both the Mavic on the P4P. On night flights, I use a flashlight on the focus point to set the initial focus within that 6-10' distance. So far, it's worked well for me.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
While I preset my touch AF on something well lit 6-10' away before launch, it is not intended as an infinity focus. It is intended as a hyperfocal distance that includes infinity. Subtle difference, but important. Once set, I switch the touch function in GO 4 (ver. 4.0.0) over to exposure, so as not to accidentally reset my focus, while turning off the still incessant High Wind Warnings, by touching them on the screen in the upper left. I have no need to reset the focus for the duration of the 23 minute flight video, even if I land in complete darkness. Personally, I would prefer the same fixed focus of the P4 and the Mavic on the P4P. On night flights, I use a flashlight on the focus point to set the initial focus within that 6-10' distance. So far, it's worked well for me.:cool:
Thx so much Gadget Guy! I went totally to Infinity in Manual Gadget Guy. And all my focus problems are gone. And I agree on the fixed focus deal too. Who can rack focus on this thing from 6-10ft as your flying? And as wide as the lens is it's not gonna be drastic Depth of Field anyway. LOL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have found focus not to be a big deal any longer. I simply use manual focus, hit infinity, back it down one notch, done. This setting holds between flights so it's always manual infinity. I avoid changing it by accident by pushing the top target icon which turns it to yellow and makes the target box on the screen disappear. I wish you could hide the manual focus bar too, which would be great. But I no longer have to deal with focus by doing this. No need to jump through refocus hoops every time at night for infinity.

Reactions: Capo
While I preset my touch AF on something well lit 6-10' away before launch, it is not intended as an infinity focus. It is intended as a hyperfocal distance that includes infinity. Subtle difference, but important. Once set, I switch the touch function in GO 4 (ver. 4.0.0) over to exposure, so as not to accidentally reset my focus, while turning off the still incessant High Wind Warnings, by touching them on the screen in the upper left. I have no need to reset the focus for the duration of the 23 minute flight video, even if I land in complete darkness. Personally, I would prefer the same fixed focus of the P4 and the Mavic on the P4P. On night flights, I use a flashlight on the focus point to set the initial focus within that 6-10' distance. So far, it's worked well for me.:cool:

Hyperfocal distance is useful for when you are filming on take-off and want to maintain as many close and far objects as acceptably sharp, but if you are taking photos or video from 50+ feet in the air, I would still use infinity for absolute sharpness.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hyperfocal distance is useful for when you are filming on take-off and want to maintain as many close and far objects as acceptably sharp, but if you are taking photos or video from 50+ feet in the air, I would still use infinity for absolute sharpness.
My only reason for not using an infinity setting is that on most regular lenses, the infinity setting is actually past infinity, and must be racked back for an accurate infinity. I assumed that the P4P lens was similar, but I may be mistaken. Mainly, I want a fixed infinity focus set before launch (so as not to have to stop in flight), and from my screened-in open top helipad, the farthest distance available with good contrast is about 10 feet away on the ground without opening the screen, which seems to still be tack sharp throughout my flights, even at infinity at f/2.8. I use the legibility of the small print on distant billboards and clear separation of parallel pier pilings a mile away as the measure of ultimate sharpness, when examining individual video frames.

I copied these quotes out from what I thought was a reliable source in a post somewhere else that I neglected to save a link to, and using 6-10' away is working for me. It also makes the "selfie" handcatch landing sharp enough for my raving fans, who demand it, while keeping infinity sharp for me! ;)

"Hyperfocal distance is only 1.6 meters away at 2.8 on the P4P"
"Setting a given lens to infinity in a landscape shots is usually not a safe thing"
"Many lenses, including p4p lens, can go beyond infinity, and then everything is an unrecoverable blur."

Yes. And whatever works for you. I would suggest trying though to simply hit the infinity icon in manual focus. I backed mine one notch back after doing that and it's all set and never changes as the system fires up with that setting every time. Set and forget, which is what I was hoping for.

Yes. And whatever works for you. I would suggest trying though to simply hit the infinity icon in manual focus. I backed mine one notch back after doing that and it's all set and never changes as the system fires up with that setting every time. Set and forget, which is what I was hoping for.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. Not having to prefocus before every launch would be a big help! :cool:

I usually use the full infinity and get tack sharp long distance imaging. I've tried to see if the overfocus is an issue, but I can't see it. Now, that may just be my drone, but far as I can tell infinity is infinity... easy peasy to set before flying.

Right, and it will hold between power cycles so no need to redo it. If they could just add the ability hide the manual focus bar that would really be great too. You can hide the target zone from appearing in the middle of the screen but I'd like the whole focus bar gone too.

Right, and it will hold between power cycles so no need to redo it. If they could just add the ability hide the manual focus bar that would really be great too. You can hide the target zone from appearing in the middle of the screen but I'd like the whole focus bar gone too.

Yeah I get that. You need to be careful using the touchscreen when in manual focus mode. I'd like a way to hide it too.

You can push the target icon up top. I belive it's the icon next to af/mf or somewhere up there and the mid screen target box disappears. Then there's no problem touching the screen. The icon changes to yellow. Still no clue what that means but it makes the target box disappear.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
You can push the target icon up top. I believe it's the icon next to af/mf or somewhere up there and the mid screen target box disappears. Then there's no problem touching the screen. The icon changes to yellow. Still no clue what that means but it makes the target box disappear.
Yellow icon is the targeted exposure setting. When you touch the screen, it will use where you touched for the exposure, rather than the center. Default autoexposure is in the middle. Press on the X in the corner of the yellow spot meter circle to hide it or retouch the center of the screen to recenter it and hide it automatically. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT