Focus at night is giving me fits!

Reaction score
Drove an hour and a half to shoot some cool bridges on the river and shoot some night stuff over them and some of the city. Prob 80% of my pics ans some of my night footage is all blurry. I was using the green focus rectangle to focus with almost every single time. What the hell am I doing wrong here. Guy with me has the same P4P and he is hardly ever having this issue! And it's def out of focus and not movement from the drone at long shutter speeds! It's like it's focused way up as close as it can get! Infinity would be fine on all this stuff I'm guessing too. I'm so pissed off at making the trip and then having this. All of my footage and pics in the daylight were spot on btw!

Unless shooting close, just set it to infinity in manual focus mode. The wide angle lens on the P4P doesn't need to focus on distant objects. Most cameras have issues focusing at night. This is why DSLR's often have a focus light that comes on prior to shooting.

Agree with the above, I wouldn't trust the focusing mechanism in low light, as likely to do you harm as good. Just lock it at infinity and be done with it.

In fact, setting at infinity is not a bad idea anytime you are doing landscape shots, daytime or nighttime. I would only use autofocus when shooting a close subject.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Aye, I agree - with wide angle/short focus lens setting on infinity is better than relying on autofocus in insufficient light situation.

By the way, at daytime it isn't a bad choice, too, and not in my experience only:

Argh, no luck with Youtube-embedding (shows as a broken picture): {youtu.be/JA_ohOD9ypU}

Last edited:
I totally agree with you guys as I shoot wide angle with my DSLR's all the time. But I had heard that infinity on this lens and sensor may not be spot on. But I will def test that out tonight for sure guys. Thanks so much. Got a few in focus of the baseball field which was lit up a lot more and think that's what's happening. When I'm focusing with shutter button release or by tapping on screen I am not getting the green rectangle in a bright enough area. But I will test asap again and get it right. I don't think it's anything wrong with the cam.

How do you focus the p4p at infinity?

How do you focus the p4p at infinity?
You have to go into manual focus mode and put your finger on screen and raise the scale to the top I think. The scale is on the right next to red shutter button. I have never done this but I'm getting ready to try it for sure at night.

I fly at night too so this is paramount for me as well. My p4p arrives today. If I have anything to add I will!

Keep mindful of the laws regarding flight at night. It is banned in many places.

I should really add my faa 107 and daylight waiver credentials to my signature at this point to help avoid the well meaning but unnecessary reminders all, and I mean all the time lol. What places ban night flights?

I should really add my faa 107 and daylight waiver credentials to my signature at this point to help avoid the well meaning but unnecessary reminders all, and I mean all the time lol. What places ban night flights?
Only reason I have not done it yet is because I want to fly at night at times shockwave! But I will eventually get it and apply for the daytime waiver immediately after I get the 107!

That's what I'm getting at. Easier for the hobbyist than me at this point.

I thought you said you should get your 107 instead of you already having it????
Huh? Don't know what that means. I got my 107 and waiver in place because the footage I record will be considered commercial. But I can fly hobby at night too when I want to.

Huh? Don't know what that means. I got my 107 and waiver in place because the footage I record will be considered commercial. But I can fly hobby at night too when I want to.
Oh ok I reread your post. You should add it to your signature or profile? Gotcha! If you have both then you can do what you want right? Concerning flying at night?

Oh ok I reread your post. You should add it to your signature or profile? Gotcha! If you have both then you can do what you want right? Concerning flying at night?
There are stipulations to adhere to. It's a means to end to do what need if all things for the flight are planned accordingly. You can't always do what you want though, lol. What I need is footage in focus. My bird just arrived! Guess I'll be working through all this myself shortly. Hope I got a good one!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20