Flying Within 5 Miles of Airport - Objection

Reaction score
I know it was brought up some time in the past as the FAA information is unclear, depending on where you looked. The FAA requires that you _notify_ an airport when flying within 5 miles. They also mention that an agreement needs to be made. Others have read this as they need to approve of the flight. Here is the information directly from the FAA:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?

Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

I can see where someone may want to fly at 10' 4.9 miles away from an airport and the person at the tower may just want to say no to day no. I can see that this should not endanger any manned aircraft. or perhaps you can't reach anyone and need to leave a message. So you _don't_ need permission (only need to notify) but you are still held the the safe flight requirement.

Regardless of where you are or what you are doing, you are always held to the 'safe flight requirement'.

Reactions: CThruU
I know it was brought up some time in the past as the FAA information is unclear, depending on where you looked. The FAA requires that you _notify_ an airport when flying within 5 miles. They also mention that an agreement needs to be made. Others have read this as they need to approve of the flight. Here is the information directly from the FAA:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?

Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

I can see where someone may want to fly at 10' 4.9 miles away from an airport and the person at the tower may just want to say no to day no. I can see that this should not endanger any manned aircraft. or perhaps you can't reach anyone and need to leave a message. So you _don't_ need permission (only need to notify) but you are still held the the safe flight requirement.

1. The airport operator is responsible for the operation and management of the facilities of the airport. The Tower is Air Traffic Control responsible for movement of aircraft on the ground and in the air.
2. This example is referring to an airport without a tower. You advise the airport operator.
3. For Towered airports, The Tower/ATC can deny you permission to operate within the 5 mile radius.
4. The new FAA part 107 requires commercial drone operators to apply for authorization to operate in controlled airspace (namely Class B,C,D and E surface) through an online system.

1. The airport operator is responsible for the operation and management of the facilities of the airport. The Tower is Air Traffic Control responsible for movement of aircraft on the ground and in the air.
2. This example is referring to an airport without a tower. You advise the airport operator.
3. For Towered airports, The Tower/ATC can deny you permission to operate within the 5 mile radius.
4. The new FAA part 107 requires commercial drone operators to apply for authorization to operate in controlled airspace (namely Class B,C,D and E surface) through an online system.

I don't know of any FAA regulation concerning UAV's that require that the airport _operator_ be notified. As such, I think this is yet another case of the FAA using the wrong terms.

I don't know of any FAA regulation concerning UAV's that require that the airport _operator_ be notified. As such, I think this is yet another case of the FAA using the wrong terms.
tcope
See this link to FAA regulation 101: See section E at the very bottom.
It states clearly that notification is required for hobby/recreational sUAS operations within 5 miles of an airport.
By the way, the FAA clearly defines all the terms it uses. See FAR part 1.

Using the B4UFly app, when you contact the air controller that you are operating within 5 miles, first what has been the response time from the controller and second what are the percentages of go vs. No go?

Just a suggestion. When we contact an airport to notify them of a hobby flight, why don't we use the FAA's own words and tell them that we will be operating a 'model aircraft' near them? Whether fixed wing, quads or helps, we are all lumped in the same category. It will be interesting to see if there is a different attitude when people are talking models instead of 'drones', a term I personally won't use.

Notification is very different than permission.
So does this mean we can fly within 5 miles if we notify, regardless of the objection or not if the flight can be done in a manner that is perfectly safe? Say about 30' up to take a picture of a roof gutter on your house.

Notification is very different than permission.
So does this mean we can fly within 5 miles if we notify, regardless of the objection or not if the flight can be done in a manner that is perfectly safe? Say about 30' up to take a picture of a roof gutter on your house.

Of course you can't fly if they object to it. They can't/won't approve it but they can deny it and rightfully so IF it causes a safety issue anywhere along the process.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me to take some aerial shots of his farm. His farm is about 4 miles from a very small airport. The shoot was on a Saturday, so the day before I called the airport. The lady I spoke with didn't really have a clue about UAV's and the 5 mile "rule" but thanked me for notifying them. She said she's have her "boss" call me later in the day. I never got a call. I did the shoot anyway, being that I at least notified them.

I got a call from the "boss" Monday afternoon saying it would have been ok anyway. Wasn't thrilled with the time it took to get back to me, and it's a small airport that deals with nothing bigger than your average Cessna-type plane. But I did my part to call anyway.

Reactions: Falcon900
Recreational / Hobby use pilots (non Part 107) need to just notify the airport if within 5 miles. Not ask for permission.

Part 107 / Commercial pilots must follow their own rules, and don't specifically need to notify the airport (depending on the airspace around the airport). They may need to ask for permission.

Tcope, if you are not Part 107, then just call the airport and tell them when and where you will be.

Reactions: gckless
Of course you can't fly if they object to it. They can't/won't approve it but they can deny it and rightfully so IF it causes a safety issue anywhere along the process.
Non-Towered airports in Class G airspace can object but not prohibit your Hobby/Recreational flights. See the material quoted in the OP. FAA guidance to non-towered airport operators provides information form them on how to contact LEOs and the FAA if needed.

Common sense still applies too; if you call and say you're going to be flying in the glideslope path for an airport, they're more likely to object than if you say you're going to be flying below treetop level well outside the pattern.

Airports are supposed to be working on airspace maps of their local area, in order to eventually make the process of applying for airspace authorization* nearly instantaneous. It will probably take quite a while to get there though; remember, this is all brand new to the majority of airports, and represents one of the biggest changes to how they operate in years.

* that's airspace authorization, not waiver. and yes, you can also apply for a waiver for airspace. confused yet?

I got nervous when I first flew as the DJI app told me I was within 5 miles of an airport. After looking at the map further, I am surrounded by grass airstrips and the actual airport with tower is 10 miles away. I am better off than I originally thought.

I was looking again at the B4UFly app and the airports within 5 miles of me. If they are grass strip places in a field without a tower do I need to notify anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes, I do need to notify?. If there is not a tower for any of them, how will I know who to notify?

Look at the sectional map here and find your airport: VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

If you click on the small blue square on the airport, it will pop open a window with a contact phone number for the airport manager for smaller ones. along with sundry info on hours, etc.

Reactions: Falcon900
Yes, I do need to notify?. If there is not a tower for any of them, how will I know who to notify?

Yes you do. You can use AirNav to get the number for the manager. If you get no answer, leave a msg with all the pertinent information. Make sure you record the data and time you left the message.

This is what I've been doing.

Look at the sectional map here and find your airport: VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

If you click on the small blue square on the airport, it will pop open a window with a contact phone number for the airport manager for smaller ones. along with sundry info on hours, etc.

I'm not seeing any blue squares around me.
42c6dd389833a3cfe3db09d99d1624a5.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31