Flying Under Bridge

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried flying under a bridge and I noticed the aircraft drop about 5' at a rapid rate. Has any one experienced this with their P4P?

Yesterday I tried flying under a bridge and I noticed the aircraft drop about 5' at a rapid rate.
That depends. If you lose GPS which is likely under a bridge, the VPS will attempt to maintain altitude, assuming you are within a certain distance from the base of the bridge. Personally, I would switch to ATTI for that. Once past, then back to GPS.

I did switch to Atti and the same thing happened, scared the crap out of me because I was over water.

scared the crap out of me because I was over water.
Yep. VPS does not play well with water. If you turn the VPS off before the flight it will be smoother, but all manual.

Do you think disabling the sensors would help?
Absolutely, if you are proficient in ATTI mode. Again, only the barometer will control your "hover" altitude.

I'm assuming the bridge was over water. Keep in mind how Convective Currents work. As you fly from hot air (over land) then head over water, there is a down draft (over the water, under bridges), because the water is cooler, and this can cause your drone to drop, significantly, IF there is a stark contrast between the overland air and over water air, that is. Might explain the drop some...

OK - this is with P3P ... not a P4 ....

I found that flying under a bridge was not needed to use ATTI mode ... but switching off VPS was advised if there is water.
The time under bridge is usually short enough that GPS mode doesn't actually switch out as it seems to have a few seconds before it does. By then you are out other side and sats are back ..

As I say - that's my observation the few times I've done it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1