Flying P3 without camera

Reaction score
I realize this is "void your warranty" question, but there is a science class at a local college that wants to get a lightweight (like 250 grams/8.8 ounces) sensor package airborne under a P3.

I'm not sure about the spare thrust available on the P3 and whether it can lift such a payload, but one question is whether or not to try and remove the camera for this testing just to see what the max payload might be even though we know that this will dramatically shorten flight times.

Anyone know whether you can remove the camera without the firmware on the P3 having a major hissy? As I say, I know that DJI says removing the camera "may" cause damage and "will" void the warranty, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks
Andy.

You need to be careful about added weight because you could stress your props to failure. I don't know what the camera weighs, but less than 8.8th I'm thinking.
Somebody who has experience with the carbon fiber props miget suggest using those because of their inherent stiffness.

I fly mine every night without the camera installed. It splashed up a warning the first time, and that's all. I removed the gimbal from the bracket, and then removed the bracket too for a clean look but you may want to keep it for attaching your instrument pod. Only thing remaining is the ~8 cable ribbon from inside the body, and I have poked the connector back into the body to keep it protected.

I have not done any payload tests, but I have seen a YouTube video of one ferrying an RC plane body across a field, so 250gram should be easy!

Any chance I can get a photo or some measurements of how the gimbal is attached to the fuselage?

You need to be careful about added weight because you could stress your props to failure. I don't know what the camera weighs, but less than 8.8th I'm thinking.
Somebody who has experience with the carbon fiber props miget suggest using those because of their inherent stiffness.

Where do these 'stories' come from?

You will not stress the props to failure even if you tie the quad down and apply full-throttle.

Man there are some real tall tales being told around these parts lately.

Lastly, CF props suck and the overwhelming consensus is they offer no benefit over the stock ones.

How high are you flying.? Must gut instinct is it will be fine. I personally would try it in safe environment.

I took the gimbal off my P2V+ when I first started flying and flew that way for the first few weeks, diligently practicing flying skills until I felt competent. Then I put the gimbal back on. Off and on total took less than a few minutes...easy.

I damaged my P3 Gimbal/Camera and so have been flying without the whole unit for the past 3 weeks now without any problems, all other functions working perfectly well! There will only be a red rectangle at the top middle of the ipad screen saying "no signal" meaning no video signal. All other telemetry stuff will be working just fine.
Removing the unit is very easy. U need to disconnect 2 flat cables, one coming from inside the P3 Body shell for the Gimbal control and another coming from the sensor unit at the bottom for the camera. Then you have to slip it out of the four white vibration dampers, 2 of which have plastic safety pins inside that should be removed.

I damaged my P3 Gimbal/Camera and so have been flying without the whole unit for the past 3 weeks now without any problems, all other functions working perfectly well! There will only be a red rectangle at the top middle of the ipad screen saying "no signal" meaning no video signal. All other telemetry stuff will be working just fine.
Removing the unit is very easy. U need to disconnect 2 flat cables, one coming from inside the P3 Body shell for the Gimbal control and another coming from the sensor unit at the bottom for the camera. Then you have to slip it out of the four white vibration dampers, 2 of which have plastic safety pins inside that should be removed.
Hey,
I am unable to remove the 2 plastic pins. Plastic is so tight that it doesnot come of. I saw some videos regarding P2V+ Gimbal removal in which they cut it through some tool. But they wouldnt be reused and I have only 2 extra.

Hey,
I am unable to remove the 2 plastic pins. Plastic is so tight that it doesnot come of. I saw some videos regarding P2V+ Gimbal removal in which they cut it through some tool. But they wouldnt be reused and I have only 2 extra.

No you don't have to cut them or subject them to any kind of violence :) I have reused mine several times already and they are still going strong. It is very easy, just get a sharp knife blade or a cutter and use it to bend out a little bit each of the four small protruding petals on the washer. Those petals actually bite into the ball on the end of the shaft and prevent it from going out. After each is bent out a tiny bit the pin will slide out easily. Then you can bend in each of the 4 petals and re-use the washer.

I flew at all heights, from 30m up to 500m, no issues in the day or night... I'm in the middle of kilometres or rice fields though, so the only things to hit are bugs, and bats! Hehe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic