Flying without camera/gimbal

Reaction score
If I removed the entire camera/gimbal assembly and unplug the single connector, can I still fly as normal just without video? Plan is to run a 360deg camera for a particular job, and I'd prefer to offset the weight by removing the factory camera. Assuming the GPS etc isn't built into the camera, I assume I can still run waypoint missions etc.

Thanks

If I removed the entire camera/gimbal assembly and unplug the single connector, can I still fly as normal just without video? Plan is to run a 360deg camera for a particular job, and I'd prefer to offset the weight by removing the factory camera. Assuming the GPS etc isn't built into the camera, I assume I can still run waypoint missions etc.
You can fly ... but you won't have telemetry so you'll be completely blind.
The GPS is just under the top of the shell.

You can fly ... but you won't have telemetry so you'll be completely blind.
The GPS is just under the top of the shell.

I'm not sure for the telemetry.. but maybe I just remember it wrong.

Anyway another thing normal when flying w/o camera is that when turning the drone off, you will see around 10 secs delay - it will not turn off immediately. The FC waits for the camera to signal "ready to turn off", but camera never sends it.

Reactions: Oso
I'll just try it, I'm seeing inconsistent info from searching and posted here. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

When having repaired my body, I would have the camera off during work, and off for testing electronics before closing up.
I am able to fire up the motors without the camera so it should fly.
It will report as a Pro though, even if you have an Advanced until the camera is reconnected.

Reactions: JoBe
I see now how the telemetry system is routed THROUGH the gimbal for some reason. I just mounted the 360 and "hand launched" so I'll run both cameras. Extra weight didn't make much difference, and I can plan my route and compensate for the weight. I have about 150 acres to cover and I guess I was being overly cautious

Anyway another thing normal when flying w/o camera is that when turning the drone off, you will see around 10 secs delay - it will not turn off immediately. The FC waits for the camera to signal "ready to turn off", but camera never sends it.
This is interesting. We have had many people ask about flying without the gimbal/camera and we do always say yes, but I have never heard this tidbit about a 10 second delay.
Thanks for sharing that. Good info!

yes they will fly ok, but i get a error of gps. i fly bot a advanced and pro both without cameras. both fly but have to be very careful. yes there is a 10-15 second delay on shut down of power before they shut off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl