Flying over water? These could help...

Last edited:
Once they get into the water the machine is done, this would only be helpful with data recovery correct ?

I wonder how long will it be before a practical lifesaving device is available to fly out to a swimmer in difficulty?

The one below would be a bit heavy for P3

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once they get into the water the machine is done, this would only be helpful with data recovery correct ?
nope....in fresh water crash you'd allow quad to dry thoroughly and be good to go.....salt water requires rinsing to get rid of salt and there is a great chance that some electronics will short out and need replacement.......the longer it is in salt water the more damage inflicted

Reactions: dirkclod
Waterbuoy does not work. Getterback may help with recovery but there is likely to be damage. If you regularly fly over water it would be best to buy a waterproof quad or transfer the guts of the Phantom to a waterproof shell.

Getterback may help with recovery but there is likely to be damage. If you regularly fly over water it would be best to buy a waterproof quad or transfer the guts of the Phantom to a waterproof shell.
This is incorrect and should be ignored.

Reactions: dirkclod
Waterbuoy does not work. Getterback may help with recovery but there is likely to be damage. If you regularly fly over water it would be best to buy a waterproof quad or transfer the guts of the Phantom to a waterproof shell.
Clint headshake.gif

Reactions: louforgiveno
nope....in fresh water crash you'd allow quad to dry thoroughly and be good to go.....salt water requires rinsing to get rid of salt and there is a great chance that some electronics will short out and need replacement.......the longer it is in salt water the more damage inflicted

does water alkaline level affect the quadcopter internals?

i just crashed my phantom 3 into the lake (freshwater reservoir). I was flying it back to me and it clipped a branch a few feet from me and fell in about 2 ft of water. i jumped in snatched it rightr o ut and immediately pulled out the battery. i ran it through hair dryer for an hour, now have it in a box of dry rice. the light still comes on the battery but when i plugged it in yestrday to the phantom didnt power it so removed the battery again. someone suggested if still doesnt then run back under running water (clean tap water) to flush out whatever, then pour distilled water through, and finally rubbing alcohol which helps dry the water, then back in rice for couiple of days, any other suggestions? i wonder if maybe buying a new battery might be needed, maybe even though the light on the intel battery is on its still toasted? any ideas, my email is [email protected]. thanks!

1st suggestion is to not keep attempting to power it up till you feel pretty confident all the moisture is dry....water will cause a bridge on electronics and you may end up with costly repairs. In short Over Dry it....keep it in rice for a few days.
2nd....it is possible....not very simple but not too bad.....but its possible to remove the cap from the battery (the piece with the led's) as its possible there is water/moisture being held in there as well...
Again give it a good chance to dry out.
Good luck

I agree, bag of rice only and for a few days minimum .. DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL!!!!

oh why no alcohol? several said that wil help evaporate water and prevent residue on circuits but wasnt sure....

Curious to know how you know Waterbuoy does not work? Personal experience with more than one example? There will be some degree of damage, depends on salt or fresh water, and for sure the battery should be binned. Depending how quickly the quad can be opened up and cleaned by the correct method will judge its chances of being usable again.It's better to actually recover the quad than lose it entirely and at least try to prevent a total loss IMO. There is a waterproof quad out there, see youtube. Don't see how you can transfer the guts of a Phantom since it needs air vents to remove generated heat.

Curious to know how you know Waterbuoy does not work? Personal experience with more than one example? There will be some degree of damage, depends on salt or fresh water, and for sure the battery should be binned. Depending how quickly the quad can be opened up and cleaned by the correct method will judge its chances of being usable again.It's better to actually recover the quad than lose it entirely and at least try to prevent a total loss IMO. There is a waterproof quad out there, see youtube. Don't see how you can transfer the guts of a Phantom since it needs air vents to remove generated heat.
The problem with Waterbuoy is that if the water is deep enough, the Phantom will sink quickly to a depth that is too great for the balloon to ever begin to inflate.
Several folks have transferred Phantom parts to Aquacopter, Mariner, Stealth20, QuadH20 and Dex shells. If you search under these names, you will find some examples.
I have built a couple using the Dex shells. The earlier Phantoms were easier since they did not have a "smart" battery, ESC's can be cooled with heat sinks or just use ones with a higher rating. The barometer in the flight controller needs to see outside air pressure to hold altitude. This can be accomplished with a Gortex patch or flexible membrane.
Mariner is now offering a waterproof gimbal which will carry the GoPro in it's underwater housing.

Last edited:
The problem with Waterbuoy is that if the water is deep enough, the Phantom will sink quickly to a depth that is too great for the balloon to ever begin to inflate.
Several folks have transferred Phantom parts to Aquacopter, Mariner, Stealth20, QuadH20 and Dex shells. If you search under these names, you will find some examples.
I have built a couple using the Dex shells. The earlier Phantoms were easier since they did not have a "smart" battery, ESC's can be cooled with heat sinks or just use ones with a higher rating. The barometer in the flight controller needs to see outside air pressure to hold altitude. This can be accomplished with a Gortex patch or flexible membrane.
Mariner is now offering a waterproof gimbal which will carry the GoPro in it's underwater housing.
Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious to see "proof" that's all, I appreciate the input. Makes a decision easier to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.