Flying On the Line

Reaction score
I have a job that requires me to fly in an area that falls beneath the class C airspace "line". The property is literally right beneath the solid magenta line (SFC/40). I made sure to check the 'width' of the line with Google Earth using coordiantes I pulled from skyvector.com.

Its not inside the circle, its right beneath the line. Does the controlled airspace start at the outside of the circle, beneath the line, or within the circle?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you are that close, I wouldn't depend on using the width of a line to determine if I was inside the airspace. Class C is normally 5 nm from the airport. That should be your metric.

Yes and I have used google earth to draw various 5nm circles that all fall right on top of/right next to the property I wish to fly. If I draw the circle from what I perceive to be the center of the airport, I'm outside the circle. When I draw the circle from a different spot at the airport, then I'm just inside.

If I go off of aeronautical charts and the solid magenta line, I'm right under the line.

I am a part 107 certified pilot and this will be a flight for commercial purposes.

If I drift even an inch into the Class C airspace, I'm in violation right?

Technically, yes. Wouldn't think it likely that the FAA will notice. One thought. Depending on which firmware/software you have loaded, you might get grounded by the DJI NFZ barriers!

If I draw the circle from what I perceive to be the center of the airport, I'm outside the circle. When I draw the circle from a different spot at the airport, then I'm just inside.

Use the official FAA co-ordinates of the airport. You can find then in the download at Digital - Chart Supplement (d-CS) Note: The former A/FD is replaced with this publication.

Using B4UFLY and/or ArcGIS Explorer (with UAV_107_Airspace) will give you an airspace boundary outline just couple pixels wide no matter how much you zoom in.

Even better, go to the place, note the exact GPS co-ordinates , look up the actual FAA official airport co-ordinates and do a great circle distance between the two.

Use the official FAA co-ordinates of the airport. You can find then in the download at Digital - Chart Supplement (d-CS) Note: The former A/FD is replaced with this publication.

Using B4UFLY and/or ArcGIS Explorer (with UAV_107_Airspace) will give you an airspace boundary outline just couple pixels wide no matter how much you zoom in.

Even better, go to the place, note the exact GPS co-ordinates , look up the actual FAA official airport co-ordinates and do a great circle distance between the two.
Once yo have the coordinates. you can go to this site to calculate the distance between them Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using haversine formula in JavaScript.

If it's that close I'd error on the side of caution and cover your assets. Better SAFE than sorry.

Of course if you do a distance calculation, be sure it's in NM (Nautical Miles), not SM (Statute Miles).

No one in the tower has time to do your navigation for you. If you can't figure it out, back up and give your self what ever your margin of error is.

well, FWIW - it sounds like he is right on the line - and will mostly likely fly into the airspace - and as a part 107 pilot - which he says he is - he shouldn't have an issue (edited/corrected - following 107.41)
- it's a class C - so not a big airport.

...I don't use B4Ufly - I use AIRMAP

Last edited:
No, part 107 has to go through the webpage to request either a waiver or authorization .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor