Flying Near Small Hydro Electric Plants

Reaction score
I understand that we are not supposed to fly over critical infrastructure like power plants.

In our area, we have many small hydro electric generating plants that are the typically unmanned. There are small made made ponds and lakes due to the dams for the plants.

Is there a rule or recommendation of how close we can fly near plants like this? There is a small circle run on the plant in Airmap.io

I am interested in being able to frame an entire pond or lake in a still shot. In one case, there is a small pull off near one of these plants. I would fly mostly straight up about 200 yards from the plant, and to frame the pond, would not be over the plant at any time. There are no transmission lines close by, they run out the far side of the plant.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. FYI, I fly as a hobbyist.

Ask permission from the owners/operators, they will probably say no, but worth a try. If you are polite and say you will keep your distance, and have liability insurance, and they can have your video copy(not for commercial), then worth a try.

I'd cover my bases... I'd make sure it's all clear on AirMap, make sure you're not trespassing, and make sure you're flying safe. Odds are you can do this safely without busting any regulations.

It's going to be hard to claim you fly "as a hobbyist" when your name is linked to your company as well as your social media pages states "Available for contracted photography services".

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
...If you are polite and say you will keep your distance, and have liability insurance...

Very good point. I would not even entertain the idea of flying in the area without sufficient insurance. If something were to happy and you caused a power outage your tail-fin would be on the line for damages and more.

Good points, Al.

The photography business is really just a hobby for now, and hopefully a retirement business in the future. I've only done a few local paid shoots (ground based with dslr) and sold a handful of landscape prints. I am planning on studying and taking the commercial UAS pilot test sometime this year, hopefully over the winter.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sounds like a plan. You've done some very nice work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic