Flying Low Over Water.

I had turned off obstacle avoidance in DJIGO, back out, then go into Litchi and turn off VPS. I think what happens sometimes is the surface of the water condition, ie ripples from wind, light reflection, large fat women floating around, causes the P4 to avoid low flying and sometimes not. I try to align myself so to see the space between the water and low hanging trees when flying in the river video, but as you'll see in this short clip what I lack is good depth perception. Plan was to skim along water, pass under some branches, and then climb sharply-except I had not passed far enough. I have done this long before with a P2, as soon as it touch a branch it nosed dived into the water, but the P4 righted itself so quick and sounded like a super weed eater. I tried to climb out of it, then descended, all by video, too far away to see and blocked by the leaves, and when I came out the bottom I pointed the camera down to see how high I was and it was less than a foot. So this attest to my stupidity, spastic control reactions, and a hell of a recovery for one tough bird. So now when the wife wants the shrubbery trimmed, I got a lazy quick trick.

I'd be real careful about flying close over saltwater. If there's any wind to speak of, there can be lots of salt spray that isn't necessarily visible. I'd be real worried about motor windings or salt getting into the ventilation holes.

Having flown off of aircraft carriers, we dealt with saltwater issues all the time and had to wash aircraft frequently.

Your right, I plan on filming my daughter surfing and knew there would be possible contamination from spray. Will have to limit low flying and time. I lived on the beach during summers growing up and anything electronic would eventually turn circuit boards green. Tried spraying boards and gps module on a P2 with product for purpose of sealing from moisture but gps started acting up, ended up replacing gps after pulling sealant off messed something up. Who had to wash the aircraft carrier?

Ok. So the collective advice seems to be:
- turn off VPS (i.e. rely on the barometer only) for flying over water. To turn off VPS (visual positioning system) use the 3rd party Litchi app and disable in settings.

Does that about sum it up?

Or is there a way to do it in the DJI Go app? For example if we disabled Obstacle Avoidence all together... which can be done in the Go app, would that not disable VPS?

Last edited:
Ok. So the collective advice seems to be:
- turn off VPS (i.e. rely on the barometer only) for flying over water. To turn off VPS (visual positioning system) use the 3rd party Litchi app and disable in settings.

Does that about sum it up?

Yep, that's it. Plus litchi has many other great features.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: phlyer
No problems when flying low above the water - of course if there are waves the situation is different and you don't want to take the bird too low. Here are some examples (in the beginning and at 2.10')

a little off topic , i wonder if the sonar bothers the whales
Sound waves from the air cannot penetrate into water and vice versa, so that is not an issue. I don't even see it being an issue when they surface for air since that just barely breach the surface, but this part I'm not 100% on. I suppose it's possible when they are breaching.

the issues ive seen has been a drift over wavy or running water . still water i havent had issues. but if its moving the phantom seems to lock on to the pattern and try to follow the wave....

Well said!

Flying over the water and some people saying experiencing issues and other not....

Users must be clear about context: still water, transparency, moving patterns, ...

Example I have recently experienced: I was flying in mediteranean see quite low and suddenly the P4 VPS locked on a wave and surfed with it for many meters. I could clearly see both wave and bird running same direction and speed.. Nice but could have been risky if any object or person within path.

I new will happen but was ensure at which altitude would kick-in vs pattern readings. Actually pretty low with experienced case/water configuration.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity how do you set VPS off?

Also on my opinion these are concentric waves with small pattterns even distance to object quite close, as well there is no decisive angular direction so no lock applied.

Try the same with linear see wave, P4 will lock an run fast on top of the wave like a surfer. True experience, spectacular I can tell you.

Last edited:
It can't be turned off in the DJI GO app, you need to use litchi to disable it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RémyHeli
I tried to lower the aircraft to a still lake to photograph some resting geese but it would not go below 1.5 meters or so.

Be careful, transparency might confuse VPS but probably not cristal water here and sonar in action with hopefully no angular deflection as flat surface.

Quick question please. The 1.5 meters you mention were those displayed in Go App or personal indication? If from Go App beware altitude readings might be off and the bird thinking being higher than reality = Risks.

I couldn't be able to do this with VPS on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20