Flying Low Over Water.

In attempts to get some skimming across the water surface on a narrow river the P4 constantly tried to rise in alt which was not good since I was under tree cover often hanging over the water. Once the obstacle avoidance was switched off it did fine, some almost to close. Due to low light in some areas, I must of had wrong camera settings getting blur in some of the trees.

In attempts to get some skimming across the water surface on a narrow river the P4 constantly tried to rise in alt which was not good since I was under tree cover often hanging over the water. Once the obstacle avoidance was switched off it did fine, some almost to close. Due to low light in some areas, I must of had wrong camera settings getting blur in some of the trees.

That's some amazing flying! How high were you above the water?

Many have made this observation - flying over water is mostly psychological....I mastered by taking baby steps out and back, over and over, until it began to be second nature. I do not fly over oceans but film alot over rivers (in Durango, CO), with a P-3. Though this job below was a real estate job, it might demonstrate what I am getting at. Hang in there !!!!!!

Flying 10 meters (30') is not an issue its when I try to go lower than say 3 meters I have issues that's why I'm experimenting with the VPS off option in litchi. I want to feel confident in the bird so I can go lower and get some good video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Oh my my. That is really awesome video. Thank you for posting it.

This is a topic of interest to me also. I have been using my phantom 4 for knee board and wake boarding video. Makes me nervous flying 15' off the water. I somehow pressed the left stick down instead of the right and almost put it into the drink. I am going to neuter the altitude stick (why do I need to go up or down that fast).

We need an app, or a feature in an app, where we can define a minimum altitude, or "hard deck", below which the Phantom will not fly (unless RTH) is pressed, or whatever, to cancel the hard deck.

I have shot over 40 30min TV fishing shows for a HD channel in Australia. Definitely VPS off & if you use an inspire AUTO landing gear off. You don't need VPS over water as you should have perfect satellite reception in an open area which is far more accurate than VPS. The only issue I have had is a large swell can catch you out rising up under the UAV an if landing back on a boat.

I tried to hover about 20 feet near a water fall and the P4 was not digging it at all, it started going side to side and yo yo,ing...pulled out quick. Was going to turn off VPS but by then too many kids showed up to jump in.

flew low over very thin ice yesterday in sport mode, i was going to try skating but ice was too thin!

Same here. I fly over lakes, around three ft and have no problem with no changes to the normal default setups.
What bird you flying?

Last edited:

Great video, how low was it? Was that line of sight or goggles?

Last edited:
Many have made this observation - flying over water is mostly psychological....I mastered by taking baby steps out and back, over and over, until it began to be second nature. I do not fly over oceans but film alot over rivers (in Durango, CO), with a P-3. Though this job below was a real estate job, it might demonstrate what I am getting at. Hang in there !!!!!!

That's what I'm trying, practice over still water, small steps.... But looking at low ocean flying eventually.

I tried to hover about 20 feet near a water fall and the P4 was not digging it at all, it started going side to side and yo yo,ing...pulled out quick. Was going to turn off VPS but by then too many kids showed up to jump in.

I had the same issues over still flat water but turned of VPS and it made a big difference.

Low enough? I overflow this pond at a foot over and over - also hovered at 1-4 feet for extended periods

Nice...... Gotta hate those trees that jump out at you. I have tried over still clear water and Lilly pad dams. The Lilly pads seem to help if you leave VPS on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4