Flying into a Pitch Black Storm - thru flashes of light - Rain and Hail

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
The pouring rain and Hail coming down was nothing compared to trying to negotiate the wind to get up into the Storm

I sent the drone up in the Pitch Black sky knowing the video would capture all BLACK but the Flashes of light told a different story.

The wind was blowing so hard I just had to throttle the Drone forward to maintain a stable position in the sky.

My original thought was to fly blind over the lake , but the Howl of the Wind said otherwise.

So I pointed it towards the Black Sky and let it hover as long as i could knowing that getting it back down was the new risk.

These are just a few of the 100 Frames from the Video taken with no POST meaning straight from the video camera.
These are not actual photographs taken but just 4K video frames.

The Electric was out: The world was pitch black - and the drone was going up.

Regrets: Yes I wish I would have pushed the Height enough to see the lake but I could not see at all anyway and the flashes of light were not long enough to work with.

Please save all the safety speeches for the Kindergarten Class next door:
Lightning is my friend.

This was the take off pic:

no electric.png

Leaving towards the lake in the pitch black , I did not get far.

into the pitch black.png

This was the view for most of the video: Drone is the green dot.
Drone in night.png

storm 1.png

Storm 2.png

storm 3.png

strorm 4.png

storm 5.png

Storm 7.png

We captured over a 100 different lightning strikes and will post them on site soon: Phantomrain.org
Several of the pictures that came out were so amazing they will be framed for personal use.

Approved Vendor:
Fear nothing , capture everything

second.gif

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome Pics!
...not me, just sharing

Last edited:
( Mod Removed )we have a chance of severe thunder storms in the next few days. I'm going to try this too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome Pics!
Holy Christ on Bike! Dude that sailboat deal leaves me with no words. I have been flying professionally for 4 plus years and I can honesty tell you that you obviously have 2 things that I don’t have. Balls of steel to fly like that, and money to replace a Phantom. Hats off for both! Envy...

Awesome Pics!
You're the man.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Bar none these pictures have been inspiring and the best part is that all of them were taken with the Phantom 4 Pro camera set on automatic ISO and that they are not even pictures but Frames from the 4K footage taken.

Here is what we learned: Try to frame the video with a back ground , dont just shoot at the sky, that will make your video frames much better.
Try to get more height so you can point the camera down just a bit more so Rain Drops will not get on the Lens.
If the Lens gets soaked and it will, Set your C2 Key to shake the Gimbal up and down . Change the Setting on the camera drop down so you can get a fast move on the camera, and than clear the drops.
Night shots will not show the drops as much , so even if you do get the camera soaked, there is a good chance the video will be fine and you will get some fantastic frames.

We cannot wait for the Next Storm , as we have some amazing ideas now to work with.
If you are going to attempt the Storm shots, we highly advise you to get the Phantomrain Wet Suit so you can capture the best shots without out worry of the Storm.

Phantomrain.org
Fear Nothing : Fly into Storm and Out

Wow. Incredible footage, and launching/landing technique. I love flying in snow, with high speed shutter for slow mo. I am interested in your product, can you tell me what the difference is between the Orca and the Eclipse design? I notice that the Eclipse is a little less, why is that?

It appears some of the kids in kindergarten class need tough love.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Wow. Incredible footage, and launching/landing technique. I love flying in snow, with high speed shutter for slow mo. I am interested in your product, can you tell me what the difference is between the Orca and the Eclipse design? I notice that the Eclipse is a little less, why is that?

Fantastic. I see that you made the purchase for the Eclipse which is all Black both front and back where as the Orca Is Black and White. White and Blue and Red neoprene is a bit more expensive for the Roll than the all black. Thus the cost difference.

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.27.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.33.58 PM.png

Fantastic < Thank you for another purchase of the Phantom Rain Wet Suit, you ordered the Trauma 1 which is Red and Black , but I will provide you with the Neon Blue cover so you can see how that looks also. I Think each drone having its own color is a better way to go and the Neon Blue really catches the light , even the moon light, more so than the Red. All the Wet Suits are the same in Design, only color is different. This should give you an idea as to just how vibrant the Neon blue is .
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.09.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.08.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member