Flying in San Diego as a hobbiest?

Reaction score
So I am trying to get an idea of where I can fly, so many apps that I just can't seem to find a good answer on this. So I live in San Diego, seeing if I can fly in a park nearby or something, but I'm not sure what applies to me as I am a hobbyist and not flying under commercial rules, the only thing I know is that I can't fly on military bases or fly within 5 miles of an airport. I've read some other threads for my area but since this community is evolving at a good pace I figured I'd bring up the question. What is a good app to use? If there are any experienced operators in San Diego that can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Try going to the testing center where they do the 107 tests at (i.e. CATS) and ask them "Where can I practice at?" They may have no clue either, but they might have a little more political clout if they call their Parks Dept. or whomever than you would in asking. Until flight training schools or testing centers that rely on students to stay in business start threatening the bueaurocrats by asking them questions on how to keep their doors open rather than us individuals, this ain't gonna get any better.

Hobby shop may know local flying fields too, but some tend to snub drones.

That or take a drive way out into the desert or hills.

I use the FAA B4UFLY app and Airmap app when checking airspace. There are however other local rules and regulations to be aware of. Here in Ohio we have a bunch of parks controlled by Fiver Rivers Metro Parks, to fly in any of those parks you must obtain a permit from them.

I use the FAA B4UFLY app and Airmap app when checking airspace. There are however other local rules and regulations to be aware of. Here in Ohio we have a bunch of parks controlled by Fiver Rivers Metro Parks, to fly in any of those parks you must obtain a permit from them.
Really, hadn't heard that! Doesn't surprise me though. When did they start that and is it all RC aircraft or just quads? I'm up in Springfield, but always trying to keep an eye out on anything local that impacts flying.

I found out about it a few months ago when filming a longboard race on the bike path. Apparently the bike paths are part of Metro Parks property. The park ranger was really nice about it though. They didn't mention whether or not if it was drones only or all RC aircraft.

Sent from my Pixel using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, it's been a little tough finding places nearby, but it looks like Sweetwater Summit Regional Park or Sweetwater County Park is ok to fly at, couldn't find any prohibitions listed on the parks website at all. Also looking at Cleveland National Forest and similar is ok.

County Parks are out. Just heard about that ordinance. Anyone else have a good place to fly in SD?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4