Flying in New York City

I believe that there is no part of NYC that is not inside the shadow of a major airport. My understanding is it is a NO-NO. However... if you are en enthusiast, supposedly you are not bound by the same rules. There is a video by Casey Niestat where he does exactly and kinda breaks down the rules.

I believe that there is no part of NYC that is not inside the shadow of a major airport. My understanding is it is a NO-NO. However... if you are en enthusiast, supposedly you are not bound by the same rules. There is a video by Casey Niestat where he does exactly and kinda breaks down the rules.
As to near airports, just like OUTSIDE of NYC, you advise the appropriate controlling authority and unless they say otherwise you are good to go. As I did, I would also notify the appropriate NYPD precinct after you get FAA "good to go". I am referring to HOBBYIST not under 107.

The FAA has the final authority, though you fall under NYC local jurisdiction if landing or taking off from within the city limits. The city on its web site asks citizens to call 9-1-1 if they see a drone, so you stand a much better than average chance of a law enforcement encounter while in NYC than in other places, tower permission or not. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to get out of a citation in court, but the burden of proof would be on your side.

From the NYC web site:
If you see a drone being flown in the City, call 911.
Drones are more formally known as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and are illegal to fly in New York City.

Please re-read my original post. Yes that's what it says on NYC web site. It is not a "law" it is a "Policy". As you can see from my post, when you re-read it, I first obtained FAA "OK, go ahead and have fun", then called the desk Sgt at local NYPD precinct who knew what he was doing and specifically said FAA trumps (sorry to use that word) NYC "policy". I then re-called LGA FAA TOWER CAB SUPERVISOR immediately before flight. Yes, calling 911 when one see a drone is better safe than sorry, but with the proliferation of drones, it could be a pain. In this case, the local NYPD Precinct would have said, "We are aware and it is not a problem in this instance but thanks for calling." I was not going near people or their windows nor was I racing through the skies.

So, anyone else who wants to come back to me on this post, REAR my original post so we don't waste each other's time.

Your original post asked "This is a complicated situation or do I need permission or what?" I gave my answer, which you're apparently not happy with. I guess I'm confused why you asked the question in the first place since you know the answer.

After I didn’t receive anything informative to my original post, I did my own extensive research and ended up with a very positive experience which I posted the details on.
Your original post asked "This is a complicated situation or do I need permission or what?" I gave my answer, which you're apparently not happy with. I guess I'm confused why you asked the question in the first place since you know the answer.

Flying anywhere is dependent on several things and becomes complicated in large cities or where commercial traffic is located ... not related to Part 107 vs. hobby per se.

First, learn how to read current aeronautical charts published under the authority of the FAA. They tell you which class of airspace is around any given airport. Class B airspace is located around large major airports, such as San Francisco, while Class C for slightly smaller airports includes Oakland and Sacramento. Class D are even smaller airports. Passing a Part 107 is heavily dependent on knowing how to read most aspects of these charts.

The first circle around any of those (may be shaped different than a circle), will typically be in a radius of, for example, 5 miles starting at ground level, noted on the charts as "SFC" for "Surface", up to a height measured above mean sea level (MSL). The next surrounding same color circle (again, not always a circle) will show minimum to maximum heights for a particular airspace. BELOW this minimum is Class E and below that Class G where hobby or commercial UAV's can fly legally.

You do not need to notify anyone when flying in these areas, unless notified to NOT fly due to Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR's) posted online by the FAA. Regarding calling ATC, they have the final say with FAA guidelines being the general next level of authorization. For example, I have been authorized to fly in a Class D airspace near my town for commercial work, but I have to notify and be authorized on a given day and time by local ATC, which has the authority to allow me or not to fly, based on current local conditions within their jurisdiction and within their airspace.

There are many other factors, but I hope this helps clarify. All small UAV's are subject to the same rules regarding airspace and TFR's.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj