flying in manual mode...how dangerous

Reaction score
hi..please tell me what to do to fly in the manual mode..that is the 3rd mode apart from gps and att..thinking of attempting that once

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Flying in ATTI takes away all of your "Training Wheels". It will hold altitude but nothing else. It will drift with any wind and will not have much (if any) braking effect when you release the sticks on the Tx. Also your Collision Avoidance Sensors are turned OFF so it's basically ALL YOU!

On the flip side every UAS operator should be able to competently and safely operate their UAS in this mode because it can happen in the blink of an eye when you least expect it.

Practice often but so do at a safe altitude and a very clear area.

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Flying in ATTI takes away all of your "Training Wheels". It will hold altitude but nothing else. It will drift with any wind and will not have much (if any) braking effect when you release the sticks on the Tx. Also your Collision Avoidance Sensors are turned OFF so it's basically ALL YOU!

On the flip side every UAS operator should be able to competently and safely operate their UAS in this mode because it can happen in the blink of an eye when you least expect it.

But you notice that the OP is talking about manual mode - not ATTI mode. Manual mode makes ATTI mode look like full autopilot.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
But you notice that the OP is talking about manual mode - not ATTI mode. Manual mode makes ATTI mode look like full autopilot.

I didn't realize that... I fly in "3rd mode" all the time so I thought that was ATTI. I guess middle mode is ATTI then.

sar104

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I didn't realize that... I fly in "3rd mode" all the time so I thought that was ATTI. I guess middle mode is ATTI then.

It was discontinued as a switch option after the P2, so it depends on what you are flying. Manual mode removes all FC control - no attitude or altitude hold. You effectively have manual control of the four motors.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It was discontinued as a switch option after the P2, so it depends on what you are flying. Manual mode removes all FC control - no attitude or altitude hold. You effectively have manual control of the four motors.

Now I'm going to have to go back and see what the 3rd switch setting is LOL! I'm def flying a refurbished P4P+. Time to DL the manual and see what the mode is I am playing around in. I'd guess it's ATTI mode.

Reaction score
hi..please tell me what to do to fly in the manual mode..that is the 3rd mode apart from gps and att..thinking of attempting that once
If you want to fly in all manual mode, just buy a cheap Syma. If you can still get one with all manual, these drones are hard to fly, but you can crash them over and over. Just keep caking on the glue buy a big tube.

• Haha
Reactions: RodPad and BigAl07

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It's like trying to stand on a ball in Manual .Have tried it with my P2V and can be done but I can't .

Reactions: sar104

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score

Getting rusty there BigA a FC40 40 don't have OA ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Reaction score
I must be one of the lucky ones, I started flying tricopters years ago and you had to control everything, when I first got a Phantom it was so different, just let go the sticks and it just stayed there but try that in manual a different story:cryingcat:

Reactions: sar104

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Getting rusty there BigA .....

Very much so. The fact that I fly mostly Mavics, Yuneec, and M210's these days is catching up with me. Open Mouth insert FOOT!!
But I've been flying my P4 almost every day for the last few weeks so I'm sort of flying Phantoms again :)

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Very much so. The fact that I fly mostly Mavics, Yuneec, and M210's these days is catching up with me. Open Mouth insert FOOT!!
But I've been flying my P4 almost every day for the last few weeks so I'm sort of flying Phantoms again :)
Was my first and flew it a month before I got my first P2V
to try and find it 🙄
Don’t ask😖
62524FE1-D32A-4AB6-A5E5-4A1CE27B78B5.jpeg

Reactions: Starz

sar104

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Now I'm going to have to go back and see what the 3rd switch setting is LOL! I'm def flying a refurbished P4P+. Time to DL the manual and see what the mode is I am playing around in. I'd guess it's ATTI mode.

Right - the P4 series doesn't have manual unless you remap one of the switch positions by changing the fswitch firmware parameter.

Reaction score
I had two Holy Stones that was my joy. I loved flying them and got very proficient with them. My demise was flying beyond my signal strength. The other was lost to strong interference at my dad’s house. He has a problem with things working at his house because of that.
I never thought I would get something as expensive as a DJI drone. It was a gamble that I’m glad I took. I tell people it’s not flying, it’s just putting it in a position in the sky where you want it.

sar104

Premium Pilot
Reaction score

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I now see the ERROR of my ways... for whatever reason I was SURE this was in the P4 area... man I gotta pay more attention LOL.

Reactions: dirkclod

dirkclod

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I now see the ERROR of my ways... for whatever reason I was SURE this was in the P4 area... man I gotta pay more attention LOL.
No biggie but do remember.
FBAEEE6E-D6D9-4A23-B2FD-0021698E71B2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanTucker