Flying in cold weather

Reaction score
I'm very new to this drone flying but getting better. My question is! What is there to do when flying in cold weather? The temperature here is around 14 to 20 degrees.
Thank you for your help. .

This is what I experienced the other day flying in 15 deg. F. I had everything fully charged. Fingers get so numb, it is hard to feel buttons and wheels. I actually had to see if my fingers were on them. Next it was so bright it hurt my eyes and they watered badly. P4 flew perfectly. Returned home, removed battery quickly after 8 minuets and wrapped my hands around it becaused they hurt so badly. P4 no problem. Pilot suffered with pain in the finger tips for about 15 minuets.

Reactions: GWI VETERAN
Had to fly yesterday, lumber yard fire & insurance/fire wanted aerials of aftermath. Luckily, yard isn't far from home so flew out my back yard, flew to yard & circled taking pics until i couldn't feel my fingers, RTH until she was close & took over. It was -22 degrees celcuis, with wind chill -32!
Flight time- 10 minutes,to home 2 minutes low battery warning as we landed.
I wouldn't fly in this kind of cold again, unless there is some amazing pic to shoot, just no fun

Definitely wear some thin gloves so that you still have dexterity to fly the drone but your fingers don’t completely freeze off. If there is snow on the ground and you are trying to get quality pictures or videos you should probably put a Nd filter on the camera so that there isn’t so much of a glare. If the sky is overcast then you also might want to wear some sunglasses because the clouds reflect the sun and make it impossible to see your drone. As long as you stay warm flying in the snow is fun because of the neat pictures you can get.

I hadn't thought much about filters, but, with snow/bright sun, contrast is overwhelming!
Who using what filters for these winter conditions?
I will look this up, but first hand suggestions from flyers are welcomed

Flew in high country at 7000 feet the other day. Took my snowmobile and headed to mountains. It was around 20 f. Phantom 4p performed great but battery was reduced by 15 percent due to cold. I do wish I had my nd filter on though. Thanks for that recommendation.

Attachments

• C3D79156-DF41-46F5-BFC1-5332D2AFD783.jpeg
    C3D79156-DF41-46F5-BFC1-5332D2AFD783.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 391
Flew in high country at 7000 feet the other day. Took my snowmobile and headed to mountains. It was around 20 f. Phantom 4p performed great but battery was reduced by 15 percent due to cold. I do wish I had my nd filter on though. Thanks for that recommendation.
It would be cool to know where you are.

Welcome to the forum. Good recommendations above from msinger. I've flown many flights in those temps, as have others here, and thin gloves are highly recommended. Biggest operational concern is likely battery core temperature. I make sure batteries are at room temperature (65 - 70F) prior to take off. That, and let the bird warm up a bit by hovering before flying, should help ensure an uneventful flight. If battery core temp is too cold, the system will tell you. Other than that, double check all systems during preflight. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1