Flying in class B airspace as a recreational pilot

Don't you still need to get actual permission though to fly as a hobbyist in Class B--not just simple notification for flying less than 5 miles away from an airport? That being said--it's (ironically) easier (and MUCH faster) to call the Tower than it is to use the portal for 107 authorizations.

Airspace Restrictions

See attached screenshot.

That's true.

"
Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.
"

I can't understand the last of that Big Al.

Is that from the FAA website?

How is a hobbiest supposed to know what class B airspace is?

Reactions: Mark The Droner
This is one of the first times I've ever disagreed with anything you've posted. They most certainly CAN deny you. They won't approve but if any portion of your flight creates a safety hazard for traffic they can and will deny your "notification". If they deny they will give you specific (or they are supposed to) reasons and will often give you options that may or may not work (as in an alternate time frame).

Yea,

That was a while ago. My understanding has improved (thanks to you).

Reactions: BigAl07
I can't understand the last of that Big Al.

Is that from the FAA website?

How is a hobbiest supposed to know what class B airspace is?
Yes it's directly from the FAA - UAS section of the website. It's listed under UAS Airspace Restrictions:
Airspace Restrictions

Just like any other thing we do the burden is on us to know what/where we are flying. I find the ap airmap.io a must have tool for any UAS operations commercial or hobby.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yea,

That was a while ago. My understanding has improved (thanks to you).
My apology. I did not even glance at the date. I've been under the weather for a couple of months and my faculties are still "iffy" at times. Please accept my apology.

Recreational vs commercial in controlled airspace. Does it really matter if things go wrong? I myself believe that safety should dictate every flight and flight planning as a drone pilot is paramount. Get a sectional and take the time to understand it. There is a lot of quality online education available to help even though you may want to remain a recreational pilot. Understand where you are flying relative to the airport. If you are flying in controlled airspace frequently get a radio to monitor airport activity you can even (with a small bit of training) communicate your location and intentions. Please do stay out of class B, that could ruin your day.

Recreational vs commercial in controlled airspace. Does it really matter if things go wrong? I myself believe that safety should dictate every flight and flight planning as a drone pilot is paramount. Get a sectional and take the time to understand it. There is a lot of quality online education available to help even though you may want to remain a recreational pilot. Understand where you are flying relative to the airport. If you are flying in controlled airspace frequently get a radio to monitor airport activity you can even (with a small bit of training) communicate your location and intentions. Please do stay out of class B, that could ruin your day.
Check some of the previous threads. Ground to air (or tower) communications are a no-no without a FCC ground station license and not generally what the tower wants. Class B flying can be done with prior permission and coordination.

Reactions: Brian S

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic