Flying drone near cell tower

Reaction score
Is it safe to fly a drone near a cell tower? I don’t have a big understanding of frequency and interference. Since a cell tower operates at a completely different frequency (not 2.4 or 5 ghz) it should be safe. Will flying a drone near a cell tower cause problems?

Reactions: Droneguy4u
Avoid them like the plague! See Nick's message.

Reactions: Tenisyn
Tempting, what happens if u run into it by accident.. most attractive things to fly near are a disaster if something goes wrong.

ms-IrwAlW.gif

If you don't know how to fly in ATTI mode, definitely don't do it. Generally, the first system to shut down as you approach a transmitting tower is your GPS.

When I accidentally flew towards one, my GPS went, gimbal and video started tripping out, then a poop load of other error messages.
Screenshot_20190217-085646_Maps.jpeg

Well our towers really must be just low power ones as I have never had any issues and think they are just cell towers but couldn't stand it I just had to post that :p
As far as knowing how to fly in ATTI if you have ever had a P2 ya played in it alot .Was how I used to know which way the wind was blowing when I got to the height I was going to fly .

What's so terrifying about Atti. Mode?

The only difference is when you are not applying any stick input.
At that time it drifts with momentum and the wind.

If you are actively controlling the aircraft there's no difference.

I think you've misinterpreted my statement. There's nothing terrifying about atti mode!

I was stating that when I accidentally approached a transmitting tower and everything unexpectedly went haywire, it took me a few seconds to realize what was wrong and correct the situation.

Not my video.

I love the John Wayne quote! And it speaks to the question of the op. Every time we take off there is a certain amount of courage we need to do so. Over time, knowledge and experience bolster that courage. The video of the drone crash really doesn’t tell us much without the flight data. One thing I notice first is that the pilot had the drone too close because of guy wires. You won’t see them till it’s to late.

Can you remember the first time you flew over water? Were your hands shaking? Weren’t awful happy when the drone was back over land? Flying around a cell tower is like flying over water. You should start with a small stream first before flying along crashing wave of the ocean.

On a cell tower, I approach slowly and if I get any flutter in the transmission I back off. If not you can circle it or waterever you want. But staying higher around it to avoid the guy wires would be good. Also your transmission can simply be blocked by the tower alone even if there is no transmitting go on.

Trackerputnam.......You are 100% right.......if I could on that above post id give you a few more likes.....great info...Thanks for the share here......them guy wires can sure screw UP the whole flight !

Transmission between AC and RC transmission will be my concern when flying close to a transmission tower. What kind of tower causes GPS problems? Dont planes use GPS too? Ken Heron have youtube videos on flight around some towers.

What's so terrifying about Atti. Mode?

Maybe the fact that you have to counter momentum with an opposite input, this will pose a problem because it needs practice and quite a "room" to brake your drone, since in ATTI mode drone can reach much higher speeds. With a strong tail wind and full forward speed you could need up to 20 metres to get it to a stop. Not for close quarters.

Last edited:
Generally I avoid cell towers for 2 reasons. They are not very interesting to film them and they can make some troubles.
Flying in ATTI is really no problem, particular if there is no wind. If there is and you fly near any structure, the crash is only a few seconds away. Usually it surprise you and take just enough time till you realize that the drone is drifting that there is too late.
It happened to me two weeks ago, when I was in ATTI testing the speed and the direction of the wind, which was pretty strong but not so that Phantom can't handle it easily. I had the Phantom 10 m above my head when I looked at the display for only two seconds and just at that moment the wind changed the direction and when I realize that the drone was going to hit the church only 20m away it was too late already to do anything. Such things happened very quickly so the best way to handle ATTI is having enough altitude. to fly over near objects.
I felt very stupid and angry after the crash, not because of the damage but because of my self-confidence in drone flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl