Flying below Class Bravo.

Reaction score
I understand the no flying in a Class Bravo. However as you all know, this airspace is shaped like an inside down wedding cake. So... Are we allowed to fly "beneath" Class Bravo airspace as long as we don't go "into" the airspace?

Thanks

Kap

I understand the no flying in a Class Bravo. However as you all know, this airspace is shaped like an inside down wedding cake. So... Are we allowed to fly "beneath" Class Bravo airspace as long as we don't go "into" the airspace?

Thanks

Kap

Part 107 flights are purely governed by airspace class, so if it is Class G below the Class B then flight is allowed - no authorization/waiver required.

Recreational flights, currently, are not governed by airspace class at all, other than a rather dubious attempt by the FAA to regulate in Class B. The only additional requirements for recreational flight would be notification if the location is within 5 miles of an airport.

Thanks

Kap

Kapitan, as you are well aware that most class Bravo surface airspace extends beyond the five mile radius. And although part 336 is only required to contact ATC when flying within the 5 miles of an airport, be aware that there are altitude limits within the the surface area of class Bravo that extends beyond the five mile. You can use this site ArcGIS Web Application to check for altitude restriction in your area of intended flight.

I check the altitude restriction where I want to fly before I call airport. You can use the link above to check or you can use AirMap and go under 107 and see same boxes with altitude restriction. When asked by ATC personal the location and altitude I will tell him an altitude that is lower then allowed in my location. I would think if I were to give him a higher altitude then allowed he would tell me I need to fly lower.
I don’t know what others have done. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.

Kapitan, as you are well aware that most class Bravo surface airspace extends beyond the five mile radius. And although part 336 is only required to contact ATC when flying within the 5 miles of an airport, be aware that there are altitude limits within the the surface area of class Bravo that extends beyond the five mile. You can use this site ArcGIS Web Application to check for altitude restriction in your area of intended flight.
Very interesting web app. Although it crashes when you zoom in too far on safari and chrome on iOS.

What is interesting is that there was class E airspace denoted on the sectional that I thought I was prohibited from flying in. But I now see that I can fly up to 400 ft on the outer areas.

Very interesting web app. Although it crashes when you zoom in too far on safari and chrome on iOS.

What is interesting is that there was class E airspace denoted on the sectional that I thought I was prohibited from flying in. But I now see that I can fly up to 400 ft on the outer areas.

Use this button
IMG_0380.jpg
for your current location or to input address. You can also access it on computer with zoom without the crash.

Use this button View attachment 107777 for your current location or to input address. You can also access it on computer with zoom without the crash.
Yeah I tried that. But it crashed when I tried to zoom OUT a little. I’ll try the desktop tomorrow. Thanks!

I found this site some time ago. I have to use AirMap with it since it doesn't show the the Special Use air space to the north of me. Some of that area is also now National Wilderness area and some other National Park area and is off limits, and that doesn't show up there either.

I found this site some time ago. I have to use AirMap with it since it doesn't show the the Special Use air space to the north of me. Some of that area is also now National Wilderness area and some other National Park area and is off limits, and that doesn't show up there either.

Click on the layer button and make sure the Special Use Airspace is checked.
IMG_0382.jpg

Reactions: Offroader

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl