Flying at night Part 336

• Thread starter Deleted member 109724
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109724

I heard someone on the forum say that if you are flying part 336, you can fly any time at night. I thought it was 30 minutes after sunset period except for waiver! I may be wrong, I may be misunderstanding the poster, here's the post in question:
P4P Take off & landing on a boat

I heard someone on the forum say that if you are flying part 336, you can fly any time at night. I thought it was 30 minutes after sunset period except for waiver! I may be wrong, I may be misunderstanding the poster, here's the post in question:
From what I have found if you are flying as a hobby you can fly at night. You have to fly in line of sight. Go to the FAA page it will say there are two ways to fly. 1 as a hobbyist and 2 as a 107 pilot. It talked about 107 needing a waver but nothing as a hobbyist. If you follow the rule of AMA guidelines it talks about what the rule is on page 8 right side under RC.

FAA Under the 107 it talks about the strobes light visible for 3 miles but again nothing under hobbyist as far as that.

Yet....... (I fly mostly at night, hope it stays that way)......

Right now it seems that there is a loophole for just about anything. All you need to do is claim a different set of rules for whatever you want to do. Over 400', no problem, follow CBO rules. Night flight, no problem, follow CBO rules. If you can see a speck on the horizon, you are within line of sight. Want to fly near a Class B airport, no problem LAANC is there to help, or just 'notify' ATC, your choice.
At some point the adults will step in and make one set of rules for quadcopters. Until then, pick the rules that suit you and have a ball.

FAA Under the 107 it talks about the strobes light visible for 3 miles but again nothing under hobbyist as far as that.

Not to be picky, strobes are not talked about. Just Anti-Collision lights. Strobes (mostly typically in the past are the Xenon Flash Tube type) are just one type of light. There are other types such as rotating beacons like the old style police lights, LED flashers and pulsing incandescent lights.

And just to note, the Anti-Collision light must be visible for a full 360 degrees (in the horizontal plane) for 3SM around the UAS, per my emails with the FAA, which makes total sense. They are there for other aircraft to see the UAS, not you.

For Hobby flights (following AMA rules), you need lights to be able tell the attitude and orientation at all times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie