Flying above scrap metal industry

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

I attach some pictures from the place I work.
My boss asks me to bring my drone (p3p) and take some pictures, maybe a video from the industry.
Will this enviroment cause major problem to the compass, or can I take off from a field outside the industry and then fly above the yard?

I keep telling him that I will bring it but I am not sure whether I should fly it or not.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 416
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 398
Hello to everyone,

I attach some pictures from the place I work.
My boss asks me to bring my drone (p3p) and take some pictures, maybe a video from the industry.
Will this environment cause major problem to the compass, or can I take off from a field outside the industry and then fly above the yard?

I keep telling him that I will bring it but I am not sure whether I should fly it or not.
If you wanted to hover low just above a heap of steel it would affect the compass.
Too close and you'd see your Phantom start to slowly spiral.
But if you were wanting to photograph the site, you'd be far enough away that it wouldn't affect you.
There's 42000 tons of steel here, but at this distance there is no effect.
DJI_0581b-XL.jpg

As you can see all the cars and the metals are spreaded all around the yard.
I should fly above all these metals to cover the 28.000 acres of the yard.
You suggest that I can fly above all these but keep the drone high enough. What is the minimum height approximately that will keep me safe?
The drone in your photo is above the sea. Mine will be above steel all the time. Does this make any difference?
If I do it and it starts getting crazy should I switch to atti and bring it down?

As you can see all the cars and the metals are spreaded all around the yard.
I should fly above all these metals to cover the 28.000 acres of the yard.
You suggest that I can fly above all these but keep the drone high enough. What is the minimum height approximately that will keep me safe?
The drone in your photo is above the sea. Mine will be above steel all the time. Does this make any difference?
If I do it and it starts getting crazy should I switch to atti and bring it down?
There's no simple answer to the distance as it depends on how much steel is there.
My Phantom wasn't directly above the ship but all that matters is how close the steel is and how much there is.
Your Phantom won't "go crazy".
If you want to experiment, fly high above and slowly descend.
At some point, the magnetic field of all that steel will have a slight effect on your Phantom that will increase if you get closer.
What you would see is a slow spiraling (toilet bowl effect) and the simple escape is to climb away from the magnetic disturbance.
Just guessing but you could probably get down to somewhere near 30 ft (?) without any effect.
Certainly at the kind of distance to get good shots of what's there rather than close-up shots of individual bits, you should have no problem.

30 feet just seems way too close to me. I am not going to fly that close.
I may give it a try but a little nervous to do it. I am not that experienced you see and I am afraid of any possible damage or flyaway. I won't be getting any benefits from that, you see.

30 feet just seems way too close to me. I am not going to fly that close.
I may give it a try but a little nervous to do it. I am not that experienced you see and I am afraid of any possible damage or flyaway. I won't be getting any benefits from that, you see.
I'm not saying you have to fly at 30 feet.
It was my guess at how close you'd have to get to notice any effect from all that steel.
Obviously, to film the site you'd be further away so even less likely to see any effects.
But if you did get in close enough to see any effect, it would be gradual and gentle - nothing to worry about.
And nothing that would make your Phantom fly away.

Yes, I understood you.
I just expressed my concerns in flying above that enviroment that close.
Your comments are a relief to me.
Finally, I may do it.
Thank you very much.

Practice in atti mode. Come to job site, fly in atti mode. If getting pictures, go above, switch to GPS mode and see if it stays in place, then, snap pictures. Go back in Atti mode to complete mission. Keep copter in line of sight at all times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20