Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you definitely have mistaken. Much thought toward flight planning and drone safety is hardly necessary for many a back yard flight but if the intention is bigger then that, and you could potentially hurt someone then 'look before you leap' and prepare properly.

Potentially dangerous hobbies I enjoy regularly and I personally feel that I have performed all of them safely toward myself and others.

Use your head for better things than analyzing sentence structure.

Like safety.

Maybe we won't get the [EXPLETIVE OMITTED] regulated out of us.

Last edited:
Should all pilot map out their routes, check topo map, input waypoints and relative heights to stay in compliance?

Curious to hear your thoughts on this.
Yes, all pilots should do whatever it takes in order to stay in compliance. If that means checking maps, way-points ect... so be it. I wish the faa would rethink the line of site part, at least when you are no where near civilization or something. But the altitude recommendations are there for a **** good reason. As popularity of uav's grow, so will the likeliness of something terrible happening with people flying thousands of feet in the air.

Yes, all pilots should do whatever it takes in order to stay in compliance. If that means checking maps, waypoints etc... so be it. I wish the faa would rethink the line of site part, at least when you are no where near civilization or something. But the altitude recommendations are there for a **** good reason. As popularity of uav's grow, so will the likeliness of something terrible happening with people flying thousands of feet in the air.

I'll bet less than 1% of DJI Phantom drone pilots maps out every flight and cross reference with topo to get the correct heigh to fly and pre-program it with so they are at the right height at the right place including you.

Unless of course you are saying you do that every time you take your drone out into the air.

Anyone in the air is trained to respond to a threat like your life depends on the outcome of the encounter. A close encounter of any object moving nearby would illicit that response from me. Little things do big damage in collisions. Air traffic is the only real concern or interference really. There are left and right handed landing patterns and other generally known safety guidelines followed whenever air traffic is present or at designated areas.

People not used to the z-axis views will not check airspace before initiating any type of maneuver that cannot be immediately stopped.

Movements in the air all have an INPUT-COAST-INPUT cycle due to inertia that will continue minus friction. This means you can't stop immediately, well... ever.

Makes multiple objects in any airspace require strict rules to exist safely.
At least if you want to be realistic about it.

Last edited:
It would make sense for a licensing body to get insurance for the members similar to a CSPA (canadian parachuting license) If we damage something in an offsite landing or put a car off a road or whatever we have an organization that protects us covered by a yearly due. If that happened it'd probably be the best thing for uav community by showing responsibility for indefinite damage is managed.

I have 20+ acres of property in middle-TN. The north-most property is on a bluff line that is at 1800' above sea-level. The south-most property is at 800' above sea level. I have a house at the top, and a cabin at the bottom (by a river). The horizontal distance (straight line) is right at 1 mile.

Given the remoteness of the property (and lack of any RF pollution), I have no problem taking off from one point, flying to the other, and landing using my P2V+. I have no restrictions, and can literally use the drone to shuttle light-weight stuff between the two properties when I have family/guests at opposite ends.

So, if I were to upgrade to the PV3, I could conceivably still use it to fly from the lower to the upper property. But from what I've read, there is also a below-home-point limit of 120m. If that is true, then I would not be able to get to the lower property from the top.

Either way, if/when DJI gets done servicing the .gov regulators, who's to say they won't make the 400m limit, a 400' limit?

Excellent discussion, I saw that the FAA Advisory Circular was referenced. Advisory Circulars are not regulatory, they are recommendations, a way to comply with a regulation but not the only way. So, the 400 foot altitude in the AC is a recommendation. But as we know, there is a regulatory tie in. It's incorporated by reference in Section 336 of the Public Law, FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The basic message is that if you fly below 400 feet, you are likely not going to interact with manned aircraft, but no guarantee. Manned aircraft do fly below 400 feet, particularly near airports for the purposes of take off and landing. Also, as someone else posted, the minimum safe altitude restrictions of 14 CFR Part 91.119, do not apply to helicopters, so they may operate lower, such as is often the case with EMS helicopter operations. In my opinion, the best course of action for any drone pilot is to learn the airspace for your area of operation. Manage your risk and make informed decisions!

I don't understand how people can sit here and mock people for going hire then the **** government asks u not to . It's not a law and I'm not a idiot so I have common sense it's not like I fly up there. It's funny that u will write on this site how stupid people are but your the one driving home drunk from the bar at night or your the one going 80 mph on the highway. 400 feet is not a law but I'm sure everyone on here does break a law every day. It was crazy going that high that's why I put it on here but can't stand the whining on here from some people. Your talking to grown *** men not children so please man up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The problem is that children do fly these things, and fly them recklessly. Just last week in California a kid almost hit a police helicopter at night at 700ft.

It would make sense for a licensing body to get insurance for the members similar to a CSPA (canadian parachuting license) If we damage something in an offsite landing or put a car off a road or whatever we have an organization that protects us covered by a yearly due. If that happened it'd probably be the best thing for uav community by showing responsibility for indefinite damage is managed.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/insurancesummarymembers.pdf

If you're not a member, you should consider it. The AMA has been around for decades.

Reactions: henick
Unless you have at least past the written exam for general aviation, flying above 400ft is ignorant and dangerous. There is very good reason for the 400ft limit.

Thankfully, most people who choose to fly their drones that high often only do so a few times before their drone comes crashing to earth at terminal velocity, batteries fully depleted.

"flying above 400ft is ignorant and dangerous" You might rephrase that to flying over 400 feet above the highest ground level is ignorant and dangerous.
I live in an area of very high hills towering over narrow valleys. If an airplane or helicopter flies under 700 feet they're likely to stop very, very quickly. So might my Phantom, therefore my RTH is set at 650 feet when launched at valley level.

I love it when people lean on the Constitution when they can't do whatever they want. Cry me a river!

You're probably right but rule changes take time. There are implications that need to be factored in. There are also numerous exceptions regardless of separation rules: SAR, crop dusting, medi-vac, filming, etc. In reality, until there is an automated traffic system in place, we need to stay out of airspace that can be used by 1:1 scale aircraft.
Where I am in Oregon the hills are 3,000 feet. Anybody below them in a conventional craft is already dead. By hills I mean hill after hill after hill with forests. I have a lot of beautiful landscape pictures from about 1,000 feet. I can easily make those in less than five minutes, above 400 feet. There is no battery problem. I am not one of those people who gets up in the morning and goes through rules books looking for something else to obey. The only Feds that show up around here are trying to confiscate resources anyway.

Reactions: stulpin300m
The problem is that children do fly these things, and fly them recklessly. Just last week in California a kid almost hit a police helicopter at night at 700ft.

I take those reports with a grain of salt. I'm sure it CAN happen, but there is also the very real flip-side. Take, for example, the two guys in NYC that were using their drone to take pictures of the George Washington bridge. Shortly after starting their run, a NYPD helicopter spotted the drone and started to follow it. The guys, realizing the NYPD was getting closer, immediately brought it back for landing. In no time at all, they were swarmed by NYC's finest, and arrested. The news reported this as a near-miss, with a reckless drone pilot endangering the helicopter.

Here's a clip from Photography is not a Crime (PINAC.org)

Last week, the New York City Police Department arrested Remy Castro and Wilkins Mendoza on felony endangerment charges for flying a DJI Phantom because, they claimed, an “NYPD helicopter pilot had to veer off course to avoid being struck by [their] drone.”

But that was a lie.

Two days later, the truth came out. “We have video proof that we are not following him, he’s following us. He’s endangering our lives and himself by following us,” said Jonathan Castro, one of the pilot’s brothers, according to the New York Daily News. “He’s wasting taxpayers money following a little drone. It’s not our fault it’s not illegal.”

The air traffic control recordings, obtained by Vice’s Jason Koebler, indicate that the NYPD pilot observed the Phantom near the George Washington bridge and flew at the “drone” – properly called an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), or RC copter – and not the other way around. Castro and Mendoza’s video evidence from the Phantom’s flight may help them defeat the felony charge against them, similar to the case of another recently arrested UAV photographer in Ohio.

There is a HUGE PR push by government to paint these multi-rotors in the worst possible light - to poison public opinion. Unfortunately, whether willing, or just simply ignorant, the media regurgitates the 'official' police narrative as fact.

In the case cited above, here's how the NYPost described the incident:

In July, Remy Castro, 23, and Wilkins Mendoza, 34, were arrested after allegedly flying two drones that nearly took out another NYPD chopper over the George Washington Bridge.

The roughly 2-pound Phantom 2 drone can be purchased for as little as $800 on Amazon.

The charges, incidentally, were dropped once the facts came out. That, though, was not printed front page.

Here's another account of a police helicopter intentionally trying to drown a Phantom by flying over it as it flew over a river...

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying guideline guideline but the reality is if we don't self regulate in an effective manner then we will be regulated without input about it. Thanks for the hobby craft insurance link. I will be asking them about drones.

The hard deck for this hop was 10,000. You knew it. You broke it and followed commander Heatherly after he lost sight and called no joy
But Sir, I was flying inverted Sir. Doesn't that account for anything Sir? It made the Russian pilot bug out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing