Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got her up to 1200 feet was kinda scary not being able to see it !! It was in a zone where no airplanes fly and it was all clear sky's so was still on the look out just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I don't have to worry about flying too high. Have military jets from an airport about 25 miles away that like to buzz my house at 100' doin' 600+mph. And ya' think drones are a hazard.LOL

I had it set before to 400 feet so the increase was huge to me. Raided it to 500m on my 40th flight.

I had it set before to 400 feet so the increase was huge to me. Raided it to 500m on my 40th flight.

Yep you said it... That is scary up in commercial air space.

Got her up to 1200 feet was kinda scary not being able to see it !! It was in a zone where no airplanes fly and it was all clear sky's so was still on the look out just in case

How did you get passed the 400ft limit again?, (for informational purposes of course)

As mentioned, the setting allows a height of 500m. That is 1640'. It's not rocket science. It's just a setting. The OP is making it sound like he's discovered something nobody knew.
I never said it was something new but someone new might not know how to change the setting. Like the first guy just asked. U must be a drone vet [emoji23][emoji23]Lol this is what this app is for no need to get your pantys in a bunch.

Unless you have at least past the written exam for general aviation, flying above 400ft is ignorant and dangerous. There is very good reason for the 400ft limit.

Thankfully, most people who choose to fly their drones that high often only do so a few times before their drone comes crashing to earth at terminal velocity, batteries fully depleted.

It's not a law but will be if folks continue to ignore the FAA suggestions.

Sent from my PT beating heart

If you have to ask that question, you should be educating yourself before flying your drone again.
I think he/she knows the answer. Maybe he/she thought that you thought it was law. In FAA advisory circular 91-57a the wording says that you should operate your model aircraft under 400. If it was a requirement to operate that low it would say you must operate below 400 feet. They recommend that altitude because no manned aircraft should be operating below 500 feet unless the are departing or approaching an airport. It leaves you with 100 feet separation. As long as you are operating within line of sight in airspace that does not require a clearance to enter you should be fine as far as the law is concerned. That being said it is always best to follow the FAA's recommendations so that we can all enjoy this hobby for years to come without further restriction.

I never said it was something new but someone new might not know how to change the setting. Like the first guy just asked. U must be a drone vet [emoji23][emoji23]Lol this is what this app is for no need to get your pantys in a bunch.
But your title on this thread is misleading saying "with no height limit", that would indicate some new discovery of overcoming the altitude restriction of 500m, in reality you were still "flying within the height limit" :D

Reactions: stulpin300m
Just good common sense and good safety practices. Had an emergency medical helicopter came by. You could not have gotten out of the way fast enough and we would be reading about another drone incident in the world news. Yep I can look up and see it's clear but a chopper or plane flying at 200-350 mph I am sure my 25 mph quad or that real fast 2/4 ms decent speed would divert and problem.... Yea right!

Safety first !!!! I'll just do it this once, but once is all it takes.

Reactions: stulpin300m
Here in the UK the limit is 400 feet unless the CAA grant a Special Permission. There are more and more news reports of illegal drone use here; I think it's a given that the restrictions will tighten significantly.

Reactions: lanzafin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj