Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the UK the limit is 400 feet unless the CAA grant a Special Permission. There are more and more news reports of illegal drone use here; I think it's a given that the restrictions will tighten significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Same here in Australia, 400ft hight. Will not be to long we expect restrictions from CASA. To many irresponsible people flying in no fly zones etc.. Very sad.

I don't understand how people can sit here and mock people for going hire then the **** government asks u not to . It's not a law and I'm not a idiot so I have common sense it's not like I fly up there. It's funny that u will write on this site how stupid people are but your the one driving home drunk from the bar at night or your the one going 80 mph on the highway. 400 feet is not a law but I'm sure everyone on here does break a law every day. It was crazy going that high that's why I put it on here but can't stand the whining on here from some people. Your talking to grown *** men not children so please man up.

Last edited:
Reactions: hot dog
We have here in Australia rules for drones given by CASA, but I meet manyMultirotor operators who simply don't care. Registration like in the USA will be expected here too. So sad indeed.

Agreed, George. Sad indeed. It's great that communities such as this are so strong. Enjoy the weather down under - typical winter day here with lots of rain.

Reactions: Phantom George
If your a numb read this before buying/flying any rc aircraft.....
Busting Myths about the FAA and Unmanned Aircraft

The FAA published a Federal Register notice (PDF) in 2007 that clarified the agency’s policy: You may not fly a UAS for commercial purposes by claiming that you’re operating according to the Model Aircraft guidelines (below 400 feet, 3 miles from an airport, away from populated areas.) Commercial operations are only authorized on a case-by-case basis. A commercial flight requires a certified aircraft, a licensed pilot and operating approval. To date, only one operation has met these criteria, using Insitu's ScanEagle, and authorization was limited to the Arctic.( FAA Opens the Arctic to Commercial Small Unmanned Aircraft)

Reactions: Phantom George
I don't understand how people can sit here and mock people for going hire then the **** government asks u not to . It's not a law and I'm not a idiot so I have common sense it's not like I fly up there. It's funny that u will write on this site how stupid people are but your the one driving home drunk from the bar at night or your the one going 80 mph on the highway. 400 feet is not a law but I'm sure everyone on here does break a law every day. It was crazy going that high that's why I put it on here but can't stand the whining on here from some people. Your talking to grow *** men not children so please man up.

You're talking to a community that is kind of sick of people doing irresponsible things. You said yourself that you couldn't see your Phantom. While you assume there would be no air traffic... what if there would have suddenly been a helicopter flying by? If you couldn't see your drone, you couldn't even take evasive action. How fast do you think you can bring the Phantom down from that height? In my experience, this forum responds pretty consistently when it comes to flying beyond established recommendations. This forum is filled with people who don't want even more restrictions placed on this hobby. Do you seriously think the government doesn't check forums like this to see what people are saying they are doing? By the way, if someone came on the forum and said "Hey I drove home hammered last night" I bet people in the forum would go off on that as well. Anyway, people here respond the way they do because this hobby already has enough scrutiny on it... if our own members are bragging about flying irresponsibly - how do you think your "**** government" will respond to that?

You're talking to a community that is kind of sick of people doing irresponsible things. You said yourself that you couldn't see your Phantom. While you assume there would be no air traffic... what if there would have suddenly been a helicopter flying by? If you couldn't see your drone, you couldn't even take evasive action. How fast do you think you can bring the Phantom down from that height? In my experience, this forum responds pretty consistently when it comes to flying beyond established recommendations. This forum is filled with people who don't want even more restrictions placed on this hobby. Do you seriously think the government doesn't check forums like this to see what people are saying they are doing? By the way, if someone came on the forum and said "Hey I drove home hammered last night" I bet people in the forum would go off on that as well. Anyway, people here respond the way they do because this hobby already has enough scrutiny on it... if our own members are bragging about flying irresponsibly - how do you think your "**** government" will respond to that?
I agree with what your saying.

Here in the UK the limit is 400 feet unless the CAA grant a Special Permission. There are more and more news reports of illegal drone use here; I think it's a given that the restrictions will tighten significantly.

The height restriction is 400ft (120m) in the UK and it is Law, governed by the CAA, however in USA governed by the FAA, it seems that it is only a recommendation and other countries have different rules etc.. There are exceptions to the 400ft restriction in the UK if you meet certain criteria and in certain airspace, but the CAA does not issue Special Permissions to exceed 400ft, the permission for aerial work (PFAW) is issued by the CAA, but restrictions still apply. Before any UK owners attempt this I would ask you review the UAV applicable articles in the Air Navigation Order (ANO), downloadable from the CAA website. Especially if you are new to this as it will help you to understand what the rules are and No, I am not the Drone Police, just trying to be being helpful. What you do is up to you!
The CAA is reviewing the UAV regulations and the word is that it may be the end of 2016 before they publish any new recommendations if at all. I would suggest that they are waiting to see what the results are coming from other countries that have implemented new regulations like the USA and Ireland did in Dec 2015. Whilst I personally don't have an issue with a registration program, it must be done for the right reasons and certainly not a money grabbing reason.
The IAA in Ireland have taken a mature approach to this growing industry and have relaxed the commercial usage weight category but have brought in registration for all users.

Reactions: Grae
122533_600.jpg

So it's not OK/safe to fly past LOS, but it is OK/safe if you can barely see it LOS, and are preoccupied using the video feed, adjusting your gimbal, checking battery level, fiddling with your camera settings, chatting with the neighbor and showing him how cool it is? (AKA, not actually paying attention to the aircraft.)

Let's be honest here. Neither are "safe and responsible."

If you own a P3 and pontificate about how safe you fly, always LOS, always in a deserted area, never around people, over roads, never once endangered others, I'm liable to call you a liar And a hypocrite.

I don't understand how people can sit here and mock people for going hire then the **** government asks u not to . It's not a law and I'm not a idiot so I have common sense it's not like I fly up there. It's funny that u will write on this site how stupid people are but your the one driving home drunk from the bar at night or your the one going 80 mph on the highway. 400 feet is not a law but I'm sure everyone on here does break a law every day. It was crazy going that high that's why I put it on here but can't stand the whining on here from some people. Your talking to grown *** men not children so please man up.

I would assume you have full knowledge of the rules of aviation and navigable airspace. Because if you don't, you really have no idea of what you are talking about. Herein lies the problem. Grown men who think they know what they're doing but don't.

It's not about breaking laws. It's about forsaking the safety of others so you can get your kicks.

I would assume you have full knowledge of the rules of aviation and navigable airspace. Because if you don't, you really have no idea of what you are talking about. Herein lies the problem. Grown men who think they know what they're doing but don't.

It's not about breaking laws. It's about forsaking the safety of others so you can get your kicks.

constitution-drone.jpg

Reactions: aka1ceman
The only place there should be height restrictions is near airports. Commercial aircraft(Airplanes, Jets etc) should not be flying below several thousand feet. If something fails there isn't enough glide path to avert a likely crash...And there are many every year.Pilots and innocent people on the ground DIE. With the popularity of Quads, perhaps the rules should accommodate both parties. If it's even possible, what the hell is gonna happen when these large retailers start unleashing Drones by the thousands. Hobbyists like us should be the least of the worries of the FAA and other agencies setting guidelines. Let us have some leeway and enjoy our hobby. We're really an almost non-existent threat when you really think it out. These discussions are turning into more of a battle between self righteous conformist and folks having a bit more realistic grasp of the situation. When's the last time a P3A or P3P crashed into a neighborhood and killed 10 or 20 people. Or hell, even struck an aircraft.

B

But that's why we buy and fly them. To get our kicks.

Reactions: stulpin300m

Burp%20Random%20Words.jpg

Why do you assume we all drive drunk and go 80MPH every day?

Perhaps you could quit insulting us first.

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper 2.1

I with John 100%.

We are the least of the FAA's concern. Little Stevie next door in 7th grade got his first P3 for Christmas. He is the one who's going to fly it recklessly for his buddies and likely crash it into something/someone, fly low over houses, harass park-goers, neighbors, so on.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Droneted
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj