Flyaway Survey TX Type

I've had 2 flyaways, both with stock controllers.

The first one was a couple of weeks ago. 3.14fw, **** near landed, just a few feet from me, then it lurched forward into a bush, for no reason. Would not fly after this, just had constant flashing orange light. Connected it up the P.C, which showed that the controller was not working at all. Took the top off the phantom, tried re-binding it, no joy, it would never bind. Sent it back to the supplier, they agreed it had gone faulty.

Replacement arrived on 3.12fw, flew lovely, then about a week ago it took off from my garden in gps mode, just like many times before. This time though I saw a flash of red, as well as green as it took off. I nudged the stick forward just a tad, at which point it just kept going forward. So I tried going upwards nothing, it was like 20 foot off the ground, going forwards. No inputs worked. In a panic I hoped it had recorded a home point, so turned the controller off....Made no difference....So turned it back on, no difference. It was now out of sight and gone for good, together with a GoPro3 B.E, in its waterproof case.

Struggled to get my head round this for a day or so, but ended up buying a complete new kit....But this time I've also bought a Garmin GTU10, which I set up last night....Fingers crossed I might have half a chance of finding this one.

Kashalp said:
P.s.. Now that I think a bit I believe it had something to do with the rotation of the blades and the carbon creating a static field. Again....grain of salt. Just trying to help solve a problem.

Carbon fiber (CF) is dissimilar to fiberglass and kevlar in that carbon is conductive, though with more resistance than most metals. Thus CF can block radio frequency propagation just like metal - - nothing magical about that. As with metal structure, it's good to keep antennas clear so the antenna radiation pattern isn't affected. A rotating CF prop is no more problematic than a metal one, and both are used on full size aircraft with no issues with static fields (though on some pivoting props, such as a Stemme S10-VT I owned, electrostatic arcing across prop hinge bearings may have been a contributing factor in lubrication breakdown) - - so arcing can occur in full size aircraft with complex props, though I've not seen issues with fixed pitch.

I think many of the fly-aways are due to RFI on the 2.4 gig band. Probably some to computer glitches.

I'm conversant with mechanical stuff and electronics . . . computers, not so much.

bumper

Glockindahaus said:
Did you do an IMU and compass calibration before you flew this last one?

Not long before it flew away, yes, not that it needed it, it was perfect straight out of the box, just like my new one and the first one that went faulty.

I had a flyaway with a Futaba T8J. All was going smooth and then as I was about 80 feet descending, My Phantom tilted 45 degrees and full throttled away from me and towards some tall trees. Sticks were non-responsive at all. I flipped into manual mode and regained stick control. It then circled away from the trees and crashed at a 45 degree angle about 90 feet away from me. Wasted an ESC and one of the red arms. Zenmuse, video TX and Garmin GTU all were knocked off the Velcro mounts on my Phantom. Fortunately it was grass and all of those appear ok. My new ESC and Phantom body arrived today. I've done hundreds of flights in 3.16 without issue until then. Hope it was just a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Netwarrior said:
I had a flyaway with a Futaba T8J. All was going smooth and then as I was about 80 feet descending, My Phantom tilted 45 degrees and full throttled away from me and towards some tall trees. Sticks were non-responsive at all. I flipped into manual mode and regained stick control. It then circled away from the trees and crashed at a 45 degree angle about 90 feet away from me. Wasted an ESC and one of the red arms. Zenmuse, video TX and Garmin GTU all were knocked off the Velcro mounts on my Phantom. Fortunately it was grass and all of those appear ok. My new ESC and Phantom body arrived today. I've done hundreds of flights in 3.16 without issue until then. Hope it was just a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'd say that this is more likely an ESC dying during flight and crashing.

Fdnyfish said:
If you have had a flyaway, Please post what type of Transmitter you were using at the time.

Stock TX, Futaba, JR, Spectrum, ect

Maybe we should look at other things also. What sortware were you using at the time of your fly-away? What type props did you have?
The videos I have seen with fly-aways had major power lines in the area. That would mess with the digital compass.
Just a thought.

I have not yet had a fly-away, but after reading these post I do have a GTU-10 tracker on my Phantom. Too much money to just watch it fly away.

Kashalp said:
Please tell me there have also been equal amount of reports of flyaways with upgraded radio systems. I am getting my phantom today and am forced to fly with stock remote for the next couple weeks until i purchase another radio. Reading this thread makes me worry more then Is needed I hope.

Wish me luck...
* hey Marcus it's me Steve. Lol

I would say go flying and don't fret about it until your new Tx arrives. Lots and lots of people have made many thousands of non-flyaway flights. I made well over 150 myself before I ordered an upgraded transmitter. However, you'll really like the features available to you once you see what your new Tx is capable of, so don't cancel the order no matter what the results of this poll.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic