Flyaway issues?

Because you first claimed my information was WRONG even though it wasn't.
Then when I explained again, you come back saying it's unbelievable.

It's the most trivial thing that doesn't matter at all just like your idea about deleting vs formatting.

Ostrich comes to mind ...

I'm done with it ... if you wish to live life blinkered ... so be it. Your statement is fundamentally wrong whether its trivial or not. My explanation stands ... you only answered with a 'work-around' not actually explaining why you right - I'm wrong. But I explained specific detail why the bin filed is
saved to the card ... you have not in any way disputed that. But repeated your 'work-around' because you need a work-around to solve what DJI had solved from day one.

I am not interested anymore ... I've explained ...
Nigel

Seems like the .bin file is such a small file and if it stores everything so I don't have to download all the firmware again,I would say it is a file worth keeping.Maybe some people like to look up files and do a lot of downloading but if that .bin file has it I think i'll use it and save my time.

Nigel, let me point out that Ostriches don't really bury their head in the sand, that is a fallacy. As a computer tech i would never leave a .bin file on a usb drive or micro sd drive as it's job most definitely is done after a bios update. No need to have it run by accident when you use it in another computer. I have several phantoms, p3s, psa and p3 4k. I switch my sd cards between all of them. Having the .bin file present is kind of pointless.

Reactions: Meta4
With a modern OS (PC or Mac), after your SD card is inserted, the OS will create some small hidden files and directories on the cards. It's much quicker to format a card instead of deleting all of them one by one manually.

You can go and deleting all the files all by hand, or do just one click format. Choice is yours.

I am new here. I just bought the Phantom 3 4k and have made two flights with it around my home area. Both times the Phantom got Magnetic interference problems and have flew away to the same direction and I have lost controll over the drone. Pretty scary! I have checked the IMU and calibrated the drone. I get this problems in the air. What to do, any ideas?
The flight record shows a compass error for about half of the flight.
Your Phantom did not attempt to fly away at all.
When it had a compass error, the Phantom can't deal with the conflicting data from the GPS and compass.
It has to ignore the GPS data and doing this puts the Phantom into atti mode which means that the Phantom now has no horizontal position holding ability.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes and can be confusing when you don't know what's happening.

It's hard to see an obvious pattern to explain what is the cause or why it comes back to normal sometimes.
The most likely explanation I can think of is that there was something wrong with your compass calibration.
Where did you do the compass calibration?

Assuming that you have done your compass calibration correctly. (Looks like you are flying in an empty field with no obvious interference nearby.) The only other possibility left is a faulty compass. Since you just bought it, you will be able to exchange it for another new one from the seller.

Edit: I can see a small barn near where you fly in the field. Were you flying inside the barn?

Last edited:
Thanks foe explaining NiklasV. I found that useful to understand.
Back to the original issue...
I've only flown about 8 times and I had one scary fly away recently. I would appreciate what this group thinks is logical for me to check first.
The situation was:
Flying on a sandy beach with a slight hill behind then housing estate for a km.
No overhead powerlines in sight or cell phone towers
No error messages on the controller
Firmware updated and gps/compass both fine.

What do you think it could be?
Angie

I've only flown about 8 times and I had one scary fly away recently. ...
What do you think it could be?
Hi Angie ... There isn't enough information to be able to say.
Real flyaways are very rare and usually turn out to be something else when the flight data can be examined.
Learning what actually happened can be very helpful to allow you to fly safer in the future

To find out what happened in your case, can you give a some details about what you observed/what your Phantom appeared to do and then ....
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight records for the flights in question.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic