Flyaway issues?

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new here. I just bought the Phantom 3 4k and have made two flights with it around my home area. Both times the Phantom got Magnetic interference problems and have flew away to the same direction and I have lost controll over the drone. Pretty scary! :) I have checked the IMU and calibrated the drone. I get this problems in the air. What to do, any ideas?

In my area there is a small power line station. How far away from it can it interfere with my flight? I live about 2 km from it. I usualy dont get these messages flying low, only about 30 meters up.

Happy for answers! :) (srry for the newbie question)

//Niklas

I am new here. I just bought the Phantom 3 4k and have made two flights with it around my home area. Both times the Phantom got Magnetic interference problems and have flew away

In my area there is a small power line station. How far away from it can it interfere with my flight? I live about 2 km from it.
Possible effects of powerlines depend on how much current they carry.
Low voltage domestic supply lines might only have a magnetic effect you'd notice within a few feet and are more dangerous as an obstacle to hit.
High voltage lines might have an effect within 50 or so feet.

It's most unlikely that your Phantom "flew away" and there's probably a simple explanation for what happened.
Whatever you observed could probably be explained by the flight data recorded by the app.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight records for the flights in question.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Reactions: deltamike
Sounds like compass calibration error. (Do not confuse radio interference from magnetic field interference. If you're 2km from the powerline, it it more like radio interference, you shouldn't get magnetic interference.

Have you calibrated your compass? And where did you calibrated it? And where did you take off from?
  • (1)DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a possibility for the existence of strong magnetic interference such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcement underground.
  • (2)DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.

Thanks for the answer! Yes, I have calibrated the Phantom 3 correct without any materials that can disturbed on me. I have some powerlines about 1 km away but thats it. I try to fly again and got compass error about 7-8 times. Did not flew away tho and could land it. What is happening??! Is it hardware issues?

I also tried ty get the flight log but did not understand how. I downloaded the .bin file from the drone but I could not read it in: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
I changed the file to .txt and got som not understandable signs. And when i read it in the upload - no information?

Very happy for answer! :)

I have now read a lot of topics conserning "compass error" and it seems like there are plenty with this problem? So I have done all thing with calibration/IMU , no eys , cellphone ext. on me when calibrating, latest firmware, Im in a big field on the country, no magnetic fields.. And still I get compass error all the time?!!!!!

Also I cant retrive the dat files. When i connect the drone to the PC the only thing showing i one .txt and one .bin file?

Where are you trying to take off from? Any big building/structures next to the take off point?

Hello! Thanks for answer!

No I am in the country side , no houses in reach.

I also tried ty get the flight log but did not understand how. I downloaded the .bin file from the drone but I could not read it in: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
I changed the file to .txt and got som not understandable signs. And when i read it in the upload - no information?
Also I cant retrive the dat files. When i connect the drone to the PC the only thing showing i one .txt and one .bin file?
The file you need is the .txt file from your app, stored on your phone/tablet. (not on the SD card with your images)
The Phantomhelp link should have instructions.

btw .. once you've updated firmware, there is no need to keep that .bin file on your SD card, it's job has been done.

The file you need is the .txt file from your app, stored on your phone/tablet. (not on the SD card with your images)
The Phantomhelp link should have instructions.

btw .. once you've updated firmware, there is no need to keep that .bin file on your SD card, it's job has been done.
Thank you! I will give it a shot! :)

"btw .. once you've updated firmware, there is no need to keep that .bin file on your SD card, it's job has been done."

WRONG ...... it may have done its job when first archived to the card ... but it stays there for VERY GOOD reason. Buy a new battery and if its not with latest FW - the bin file will update it automatically literally without you even knowing ... As soon as the AC initialises - the bin file will be compared to AC and Battery ...

Nigel

WRONG ...... it may have done its job when first archived to the card ... but it stays there for VERY GOOD reason. Buy a new battery and if its not with latest FW - the bin file will update it automatically literally without you even knowing ...
Wrong?
How often do you buy new batteries and how often do they bring out battery firmware?
And if you ever get a new battery and if there has been a battery update, it's not very hard to download the firmware.

Wrong?
How often do you buy new batteries and how often do they bring out battery firmware?
And if you ever get a new battery and if there has been a battery update, it's not very hard to download the firmware.
I agree, I swaps and format SD cards more frequently than buying new batteries too. I don't bother to put the .bin file back everytime I do that. If you update from the GO app, the app will keep a copy on your smartphone / tablet.

Unbelievable ... I give you the reason the bin file automatically archives to the SD card and I get this ?

As a person who has grown up through the dark ages and through Computer levels .... Vic20's right through to todays amazing machines - I'm not one who advocates formatting willy nilly. Lost too many drives and cards through that in past. I prefer the "DELETE" key and only when card / drive is questionable - do a format.

My point is and still is ... the bin file is there to automatically update any item you add that is not up to date without downloading etc. The update it does is so quick and painless as DJI designed - you literally do not even know its been done.

If you wish to do it by downloading each time you buy a battery - why should I care ... do what you want. I was just providing the reason the card has the bin file on it.... because the comment was

its job has been done

implying it had nothing more to offer ... which is wrong.

Nigel

Unbelievable ... I give you the reason the bin file automatically archives to the SD card and I get this ?
No Nigel ... what's unbelievable is that you are so serious about something so trivial.
I explained why for 99.9% of flying, there is no use for the .bin file.
For that 0.1% where it might be used, it still doesn't matter because you can easily download the firmware again but it still doesn't matter if you flew with the previous battery firmware because there's very little that DJI can tweak in the batteries that hasn't already been tweaked.

No Nigel ... what's unbelievable is that you are so serious about something so trivial.
I explained why for 99.9% of flying, there is no use for the .bin file.
For that 0.1% where it might be used, it still doesn't matter because you can easily download the firmware again but it still doesn't matter if you flew with the previous battery firmware because there's very little that DJI can tweak in the batteries that hasn't already been tweaked.

Why do you say "you are so serious" ....

I am pointing out why DJI chose to archive the bin file ... and that its job is not 'done' as another wrongly states. And it is not just there for new batterys ... I only gave that as one example.

I don't care if you delete or keep ... not my concern. All I was doing was correcting a statement that was fundamentally wrong, irrespective of whether you consider it trivial or not.

...... NIgel

Why do you say "you are so serious" ....
Because you first claimed my information was WRONG even though it wasn't.
Then when I explained again, you come back saying it's unbelievable.

It's the most trivial thing that doesn't matter at all just like your idea about deleting vs formatting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31