Flight Planning - all the same database?

Reaction score
I've noticed there are a lot of different services which will help you register an sUAS 'Flight Plan'. For example, on 1800wxbrief.com*, on the B4uFly app, on Kittyhawk (I think?) and some other apps... Doesn't DJI also have a 'geosystem' or an 'unlock NFZ' feature?

Confused yet?

Does anyone know: are all of these different apps and websites registering your planned flight with the same service, or are these disparate services? I've registered with 1800wxbrief before, but where does that information even go? What purpose does it serve? Do pilots and ATC people even have access to it? It seems like 1800wxbrief has a separate section for UAS, so I'm wondering if it's a totally separate system from the usual flight information systems?

*I'm not talking about the 'create NOTAM' feature on 1800wxbrief - I realize that's different (and requires a COA to create one), just the regular functionality for regular flight planning.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I've noticed there are a lot of different services which will help you register an sUAS 'Flight Plan'. For example, on 1800wxbrief.com*, on the B4uFly app, on Kittyhawk (I think?) and some other apps... Doesn't DJI also have a 'geosystem' or an 'unlock NFZ' feature?

Confused yet?

Does anyone know: are all of these different apps and websites registering your planned flight with the same service, or are these disparate services? I've registered with 1800wxbrief before, but where does that information even go? What purpose does it serve? Do pilots and ATC people even have access to it? It seems like 1800wxbrief has a separate section for UAS, so I'm wondering if it's a totally separate system from the usual flight information systems?

*I'm not talking about the 'create NOTAM' feature on 1800wxbrief - I realize that's different (and requires a COA to create one), just the regular functionality for regular flight planning.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1-800-WXBRIEF is strictly for manned aircraft, but might be used for those who hold a Section 333 exemption and are required to file a NOTAM. Certainly not for Part 101 or 107 UAV flights. Right now, the FAA does not require UAVs to file any flight plan with anyone. The apps you mentioned are for notification use only and then it may not even be required at all.

EDIT: 1800WXBRIEF is operated by a private contractor to the FAA. Although it does appear to be providing some UAS services, use of these services is not required at this time.

This is where you should start your learning and has all the information you ever wanted to know.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

For DJI unlock information:

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

1-800-WXBRIEF is strictly for manned aircraft, but might be used for those who hold a Section 333 exemption and are required to file a NOTAM. Certainly not for Part 101 or 107 UAV flights. Right now, the FAA does not require UAVs to file any flight plan with anyone. The apps you mentioned are for notification use only and then it may not even be required at all.

EDIT: 1800WXBRIEF is operated by a private contractor to the FAA. Although it does appear to be providing some UAS services, use of these services is not required at this time.

Yeah, I was more asking about the UAS section on 1800wxbrief where you can file a "UOA" (UAS Operating Area notification). Looks like SkyVector uses the same database if you include what they call "DROTAMs". I've been filing there just so there's some record of my activities and advance planning.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1