Flew my first waypoint course

Had a chance to fly in a big field and was able to set a waypoint course. There is much to learn.

May I ask which software control interface? I was under the impression the new "waypoints 2" function by DJI was Mavic Centric at this point. Are you using a third party app such as Litchi, Dronedeploy or Pix4D ?

Regards
Ari

I am using what came in the app. I set the waypoints while flying.
The drone was then able to duplicate the flight on its own.

I am using what came in the app. I set the waypoints while flying.
The drone was then able to duplicate the flight on its own.

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Ari

To really fly a waypoint mission get Litchi! You can program a flight on computer and using Mission Hub have it available on your flight control device. Once you try Litchi you’ll never go back to GO 4!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Seems to me the DJI app should do this too.

To really fly a waypoint mission get Litchi! You can program a flight on computer and using Mission Hub have it available on your flight control device. Once you try Litchi you’ll never go back to GO 4!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Yes, I'm with Jim. Unless you want to pay for a subscription service like Dronedeploy or Pix4d the best Combination I've found is DJIFlightPlanner ($US99) and Litchi ($US20).

DJIFP and Litchi support virtually the whole DJI stable (and more) and allow you a much more comprehensive flight plan including splitting the mission into multiple parts if required and the plotting of way points with height in relation to ground elevation instead of relation to take off point elevation and when flying missions in hilly terrain this can be the difference between flight into terrain and clearing hills automatically. it also allows you to maintain a precise height AGL for the entire flight which is pretty necessary for accurate mapping and photo mosaics unless you want to do a lot of digital manipulation

I can do everything I've ever been requested in a commercial job either flying manually or with these two software packages. Also the Litchi online flight hub and PC based DJIFlightplanner allow for a much more precise mission plot and easier editing.

The new waypoints 2.0 by DJI is a creditable attempt but falls short in a few areas and is currently Mavic 2 centric. I'm sure DJI will roll out new firm wares for their other R.P.A. and increase the abilities of their way point missions over time but for the now they still have a fair shortfall. For the average recreational pilot DJI waypoints will probably do most of what you want.

You can't really expect any more. Go 4 is the "do everything" app while DJIFP and Litchi are really focused primarily on way point missions. Although I do know people who use Litchi as the manual flight software as well I think Go 4 is a little better there.

Regards
Ari
VK4ARI (just for you Jim ;) )

Basic drone flying got boring pretty fast for me. I pretty much would stop flying if it wasn't for Litchi waypoint missions.

What I like about Litchi over the basic DJI Go app waypoint missions, is what was already said - you have to fly the mission first to set the points. That step wouldn't work for me because I sometimes fly missions out of range of my controller so setting a waypoint wouldn't be possible.

As said about Litchi, you set your waypoints on a map and set attributes for each waypoint. Most importantly, you can set up a mission on your computer using Litchi's Mission Hub website instead of using a smaller screen device like a tablet or a phone.

I like my home computer's larger and brighter screen, and I also like setting up missions with a mouse instead of using a finger on a small touch screen. Once I complete setting up a mission, the mission is on their server which your flight device(phone/tablet) is logged into. Also, waypoint missions can be saved as individual files so you can deal with them as you please like using them when you are not logged on.

Reactions: JWH

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj