Flew away

CameraGuy said:
justsomeguy said:
CameraGuy said:
Where did I say you lied?

I simply statred and you didn't choose to change or challenge that DJI doesn't support the MAJORITY of people who have flyaways.

Be happy. You were perfect, got more than the rest of us.

D

First off. You need to learn how to use the quote function. It's not that hard and it makes following your emotional rants a little bit easier.

Secondly, when someone (you) posts something like this:

"My comment stands. Unless you care to post their email accepting blame for your flyaway." most rational folks will consider that passive-aggressive nonsense as calling someone out for their truthfulness. If it wasn't intended that way and you were merely being awkward again, you have my apologies.

I get it. You're butthurt about DJI and your inability to get resolution to your problem. That explains this gem, about a lost toy, no less:

"You were perfect, got more than the rest of us."

I wasn't perfect nor did I ever claim to be. That's you being irrational (again).

Reading your posts it sure sounds like you need some therapy or at least need to find a "DJI has been mean to me and I be so angry at everyone" support group.

First, I have posted more helpful posts than my - "rants on DJI customer service"

Second, I am entitled to my opinion that DJI does not support their customers. NO ONE HAS DISPROVED IT.

I'm thrilled for you. Couldn't be happier that DJI looked after you.

Lastly, I didn't attack you personally, your attacks on me were personal. The one of us who has stepped over the line is apparently "Justsomeguy"

Record set straight.

D

CameraGuy.. They are newer to the world of DJI and the Colin fellow. Heck when I lived about 2 miles from DJI they would NOT support me. So for all those beating up on CameraGuy welcome to this world of DJI. I remember reading CameraGuys same views when he was first posting. I read some of his posts when I was in question of DJI. Now I am reading full circle where newer guys think they know the deal. Usually the guys who have been around a bit longer know a bit more. So for the new guys coming to the world of DJI and havent been bitten yet ,,, good for you.. Keep playing with these said toys/drones/whatevers and you will also lose out and be pissed off at DJI for dropping the ball.

That said I don't care to get blasted by some know it all. I have had a fly away. DJI never helped once. I was very polite and DJI got pissed at me for finding a direct number to their support staff (of one person) who let me know I was in the wrong for calling him. My phantom is grounded and has been for 2 months while DJI figures out next steps. I cant fully blame Colin but what I can say is after all the issues and no public announcement/ recall/ etc for machines costing 700 bones is BS. Hobby or not. If DJI wants the public's support they need to figure out how to support the public and not leave it up to the local hobby shops take the crap for their lack of business ethics.

One more thing. DJI USA is in Austin Texas. Texas capital is Austin. Yet when Texas passed a law banning the use of a phaontom with a camera on it DJI was no where near the capital to lobby or help out its follower/supporters. So many in Texas are now SCREWED. Thanks for the support DJI "IN YOUR HOME TOWN".. So my second unit didnt fly away but it might as well have...

DaveyLC said:
It's more likely to be a problem with the compass.. If it can't work out its position it will tend to dart around but if the heading is bad it will just accelerate off in the wrong direction thinking its fighting with a strong wind.

If the compass is the problem why are many people able to get control back in atti mode? I understand that atti mode uses the compass but not the GPS.

GPS needs the compass more, imu's alone can be used for attitude but you MUST know the heading for GPS other wise how would it know which way to fly?

Remember the GPS/compass is an optional extra on the naza.

Don't ya just love a good 'flame war' ? :D Just as well to give it up though, guys ... no one is gonna' win it ... it's just too easy for the other guy to keep coming back with another post ... unlike a real war ... or a good fistfight. :? I understand the need to win ... or at least to be the last one to post ... ever see two little kids touching one another ... each wanting to be the last one to do so? :D But, except for the small kernel of truth that one might glean by very carefully perusing the posts ... if they're lucky, mind you ... the entertainment value for those reading is the only sure thing. Wait! That's not correct either. Read the other posts in this thread and you can see that some definitely aren't entertained. :lol:

Now, if it were a horse race ... instead of a flame war ... my money would definitely be on CameraGuy ... the clear favourite! More than one kernel of truth, actually, to be found in his posts. Ever take a look at the e-mail I sent to the customer conscious DJI and their oh so helpful ( and truthful) reply?

So, flame war ? ... keep it up if you like, I'm entertained :cool: Horse race? Giddyup, CameraGuy!

Just for whatever it is worth, I, too, had a flyaway. I took the Phantom in its case as checked luggage to a new location far away. And flew it without recalibrating the compass. I know, idiocy!

Well, I had purchased it from B&H, and when I told them my sad story, they gave me a nice discount on a new one, in addition to the new lower price now available on the Phantom.

mercillus said:
CameraGuy.. They are newer to the world of DJI and the Colin fellow. Heck when I lived about 2 miles from DJI they would NOT support me. So for all those beating up on CameraGuy welcome to this world of DJI. I remember reading CameraGuys same views when he was first posting. I read some of his posts when I was in question of DJI. Now I am reading full circle where newer guys think they know the deal. Usually the guys who have been around a bit longer know a bit more. So for the new guys coming to the world of DJI and havent been bitten yet ,,, good for you.. Keep playing with these said toys/drones/whatevers and you will also lose out and be pissed off at DJI for dropping the ball.

That said I don't care to get blasted by some know it all. I have had a fly away. DJI never helped once. I was very polite and DJI got pissed at me for finding a direct number to their support staff (of one person) who let me know I was in the wrong for calling him. My phantom is grounded and has been for 2 months while DJI figures out next steps. I cant fully blame Colin but what I can say is after all the issues and no public announcement/ recall/ etc for machines costing 700 bones is BS. Hobby or not. If DJI wants the public's support they need to figure out how to support the public and not leave it up to the local hobby shops take the crap for their lack of business ethics.

One more thing. DJI USA is in Austin Texas. Texas capital is Austin. Yet when Texas passed a law banning the use of a phaontom with a camera on it DJI was no where near the capital to lobby or help out its follower/supporters. So many in Texas are now SCREWED. Thanks for the support DJI "IN YOUR HOME TOWN".. So my second unit didnt fly away but it might as well have...

I have One question. If both you guys had such an awful time with your Phantoms & DJI, you obviously wouldn't buy another one, so....Here's my question.... Why are you still creeping on this forum?

Well, that's easy ... thought anyone could see that ... but, I guess there's at least one who doesn't: We still have the one we bought and I, for one, want to get value for the money that spent. This forum might help. That answer your question satisfactorily? (I thought that perhaps you had included me when you referenced 'both you guys'. If you were referring to someone else, (CameraGuy and mercillus?) my apologies.

Zircon said:
Well, that's easy ... thought anyone could see that ... but, I guess there's at least one who doesn't: We still have the one we bought and I, for one, want to get value for the money that spent. This forum might help. That answer your question satisfactorily? (I thought that perhaps you had included me when you referenced 'both you guys'. If you were referring to someone else, (CameraGuy and mercillus?) my apologies.

No mate, not you :)

marcus_canada said:
mercillus said:

I have One question. If both you guys had such an awful time with your Phantoms & DJI, you obviously wouldn't buy another one, so....Here's my question.... Why are you still creeping on this forum?

Cause I am not the type of person to sell mine only to screw someone else with a faulty product. Not sure if you are. I am not. So I continue to wait in hopes they fix something I am heavily invested in. What you will never see is me bashing other like I have read from others (YOU). Bash away buddy. Have fun hiding behind you keyboard.

justsomeguy said:
mercillus said:

Who are these "newer" guys that you're going on about?

Dont think I was referring to you unless you have been bashing others without appreciation for the others experiences.

marcus_canada said:
mercillus said:

First, learn what creeping means on the internet Marcus. You apparently don't know that. You have used it out of context. I am a positive contributor on this forum, and others. I think I even helped you out a few days ago. I apologize, my mistake. Won't happen again.

I still own one. I own 2 actually. One that hit the lake, and I paid to have fished out, and a second one I bought after all the other users convinced me it was MY FAULT it flew out of control and into the lake.

The second one is the one in the video.

The second one has been grounded for about 5 weeks now as I continue to read these forums, and try and figure out what the issue might be.

I am entitled to do that, BTW.

mercillus said:

Cause I am not the type of person to sell mine only to screw someone else with a faulty product. Not sure if you are. I am not. So I continue to wait in hopes they fix something I am heavily invested in. What you will never see is me bashing other like I have read from others (YOU). Bash away buddy. Have fun hiding behind you keyboard.[/quote]

I have to echo that right now. I can't sell something I don't believe in. It would not be fair for me to make mine work, advertise it, show it fly, then take the money and run.

I don't do that.

The anonymous nature of the internet makes guys think they can say anything, and it's OK. They wouldn't say it to my face, that much I know.

I've been open with my story, my support with other users, and I'm easy to find online. 90% of the bashers have multiple usernames, email addresses, and change who they are frequently. We have lots of examples of those cowards here.

D

mercillus said:

Don't want to get burned in this flame war, but as a sidebar I did want to add some clarity around this one earlier comment because there has been a lot of misinformation. Texas did indeed pass a law which took effect in September governing "Use of Unmanned Aircraft." Here is the "enrolled" version (meaning, the one the governor signed) of the bill:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

I guess what I would point out is a couple of things. First:

Sec.423.003
OFFENSE: ILLEGAL USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT TO CAPTURE IMAGE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person uses an unmanned aircraft to capture an image of an individual or privately owned real property in this state with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image.

So first point -- anyone bringing a criminal or civial action under this section has to demonstrate that you had the *intent* to "conduct surveillance." That is a pretty high bar, but one would assume that the facts of the case probably would make it easy enough for a jury to determine intent. Flying your Phantom for 10 minutes outside your neighbor's bedroom window? Probably an offense. Flying over your neighborhood and incidentally filming 10 houses and backyards at once? Probably not.

Second:

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person destroyed the image:
(1) as soon as the person had knowledge that the image was captured in violation of this section; and
(2) without disclosing, displaying, or distributing the image to a third party.

So, if you do accidentally capture something you think might get you in trouble, as long as you delete it before you post it anywhere, no offense. And if you do post or publish it?

e) It is a defense to prosecution under this section . . . that the person stopped disclosing, displaying, distributing, or otherwise using the image as soon as the person had knowledge that the image was captured in violation of Section 423.003.

So if you do post a video to YouTube and someone tells you, hey, you caught a picture of me and I'm going to press charges, you remove it. No offense.

And finally listed among the myriad exceptions where it *is* legal to photograph something or someone with a UAV:

Sec. 423.002. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(a) It is lawful to capture an image using an unmanned aircraft in this state:
. . .
(16) of public real property or a person on that property

So at the end of the day, it turns out that this is probably a pretty well-written law. It doesn't prevent most of the things that anyone who is NOT a creepy person might be doing with their Phantom, and it probably doesn't regulate FPV at all provided you are not recording at the same time. People need to chill out a bit.

Mr. MediaGuy,

Thanks for the clarification. That actually seems like a logical and workable law that endeavors to protect the privacy of the populace when that is their reasonable expectation. TX has had it's head on straight, so to speak, for a number of years. I'm more worried about what the FAA and Feds may conjure up, and you *know* they will.

With manned aircraft, the FAA has stayed out of privacy and similar issues completely. The FAR's allow me to fly my 1:1 scale aircraft at 500' over "non-congested" populated areas and 1000 feet over densely populated areas, using a telephoto lens or whatever with no restrictions - - though I imagine there'd by noise complaints I did that for long. The Phantom allows one to get up close and gain a perspective not obtainable in manned aircraft - and for a whole lot less money. Though with the prop noise and LEDs, the Phantom isn't stealthy enough to get away with being a peeping Tom, even if one was so inclined.

bumper

That's still an oddly written law - it's onyl an offence if you intended to conduct surveillance, yet a defence is:

"Second:

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person destroyed the image:
(1) as soon as the person had knowledge that the image was captured in violation of this section; and
(2) without disclosing, displaying, or distributing the image to a third party."

If you had to have the intent ot conduct surveillance, how could you suddenly have "knowledge the image was captured in violation"?

The only thing I can think of is if you set out to surveil someone, THEN someone told you it was illegal??

If you weren't trying to surveil anyone, then there's no need to destroy any imagery, it seems.

@mroberts Good point. Intent is a crazy thing under the law. Will be interesting to see the first couple of court cases for sure. :)

MrMediaGuy said:
@mroberts Good point. Intent is a crazy thing under the law. Will be interesting to see the first couple of court cases for sure. :)

Thats the scary part. We bought a 700 dollar toy. Put a camera on it. Flew it for fun. Then spent 20,000 on a lawyer to prove innocence.

bern said:
Just for whatever it is worth, I, too, had a flyaway. I took the Phantom in its case as checked luggage to a new location far away. And flew it without recalibrating the compass. I know, idiocy!

Well, I had purchased it from B&H, and when I told them my sad story, they gave me a nice discount on a new one, in addition to the new lower price now available on the Phantom.

Interesting.

GPS takes a while to calibrate if you move to a new location thats far away (?100km) from the location that a positional fix was obtained.

Compass calibration, important first time but unless magnetic deviation changes a great deal (unlikely unless you fly to high latitudes and then to the equator or vv) I doubt it would cause a flyaway.

Did you hover for a few seconds before manoeuvres? Or did the craft just fly crazy out of sight. Worst case scenario did you consider cutting the motors?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav