First run in with neighbor.....and the law

I don't know how it works down under...but here in the States people use their drones for business purposes a lot of times! Which means flying over or very near buildings...sometimes within feet to get a shot!! Flying over houses with people in them? So is it safer if they are standing outside? That statement is so pointless you should be banned from commenting on here!
In our country (Australia) commercial operators are not allowed within 30 metres of any person or building. I agree with the rest of your post. Of course we can fly over houses. We just have to use common sense. I notice you guys fly at night a lot. We would end up in jail if we did that here, commercial or otherwise without a rating. As a commercial operator I do avoid flying over anything that could suffer if my drone fell out of the sky. I would never fly without VLOS or without a thorough pre flight check. I have been caught before even though I should know better having flown Cessnas for years. Most issues are pilot error.

Next time you see the guy I would just call 911 & report he was stalking your kids, recording them, & you are calling to report him as a potential pedophile. Maybe they'll threaten to charge him with disorderly conduct next time they get a report? SMH....
So, your solution is to file a false police report on something like Pedophilia!!? Holly crap, I cannot believe some of the comments made by our community here.
The whole idea and the way your process sickens me.
First we don't know if he'll ever here from this guy again, so based on what we know, a guy called the cops instead of pulling a weapon out or other means of dealing with his problem, because he "felt" it was his right, so in defense of yourself, you find it necessary to file a false report of something that can and should be devastating to a normal guy with kids?
Just shut up, I've never said this before to anyone on a forum, let alone this one where there are some great minds and good ppl, you have no shame and I'd hate to be the poor SOB that accidentally cut you off or hit your mailbox, what do you do to your dog when it has an accident? Shoot it?
Your a sad angry man, and anyone that condones or compliments this ridiculous behavior is an idiot.
I'd love to see how the cops and his lawyer handle your false claims, not only that if he lost his job because of this garbage, your directly on the hook for slander, as you should be, so when he wins and you owe him $2.5m for his next 10 years at his job, maybe that would give you time to think how.....stupid a remark like this is, what are you 10?

Ok, I'm out now, if you want to reply, and want a tiny chance in hell I'll even read it, make it personal message because....just yuck, yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
BigA107 said it all and you should listen to that strong piece of advice! I can't tell you how many people I've demonstrated the Phantom to that have ȚOTALLY opened their eyes up to the point of them wanting to run to a store and purchase one. They were misinformed by the media as if drones were the devil. Kills me how much the public lives, breathes, and eats on anything the media says. It's really sad! But on a lighter note, the many people that I have shown were truly amazed at its capabilities leaving them with a new found respect.

This is one of these moments I just have to lose it...

So basically your contention is "We should only fly if we own or have access to acres & acres of property and we should absolutely never, EVER, do anything that might offend or potentially put anyone at risk NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT OR MINUSCULE that risk?" This is ridiculous. I don't particularly like screaming brats or skateboaders, or people that blare their music in their car so loud it vibrates my truck, but it's a part of life. People need to learn to deal with reality. What if this neighborhood clown doesn't like airplanes flying over his house, cars & bicycles driving down the street, or kids walking past his house on the sidewalk. What if the Phantom took off & went in Berserker mode, had a flyaway & crashed through the maternity ward at a hospital five miles away hacking several newborn infants to death? Hey it COULD happen!

SMFH.... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but at the end of the day I actually think you did the wrong thing by flying over or near "anyone's" house. Had your drone/quad/UAV lost power then you have a heavy object at speed hurtling towards person and property? If you put the recording issue aside, what would have happened if you lost a prop and then your phantom fell out the sky and smashed a 4 year old little girl in the face leaving her with facial scars? Come on pilots if we want the law to be on our side we have to think of "safety first and always". This means never operating your UAV anywhere near person or property. Here in Australia the law requires us to stay 30 meters away from all person or property and includes no flying over cars / car parks / buildings. Would you like it if your child wore a UAV in the face? You even admit that you had not flown it in a while, what on earth were you thinking flying a UAV that had not been operated in some time, so it's effectively a "test flight" where any number of things could go wrong, over houses with people in them? I think you got off light with just a warning myself. Always do your test flights I am area where your UAV and others/and others property won't be damaged or hurt in the case of a failure. Once you know your good then fly where ever you want, but keep away from where there are people, unless they have otherwise given you consent (and are aware your doing it). Honestly this is the exact type of thing that will get UAV operation taken away from the hobbist and it will be back to RC cars after that. Rant end....

Last edited:
Be low...

{QUOTE="Sim597, post: 851899, member: 55562"]So, your solution is to file a false police report on something like Pedophilia!!? Holly crap, I cannot believe some of the comments made by our community here.
First we don't know if he'll ever here from this guy again, so based on what we know, a guy called the cops instead of pulling a weapon out or other means of dealing with his problem, because he "felt" it was his right, so in defense of yourself, you find it necessary to file a false report of something that can and should be devastating to a normal guy with kids?
Just shut up, I've never said this before to anyone on a forum, let alone this one where there are some great minds and good ppl, you have no shame and I'd hate to be the poor SOB that accidentally cut you off or hit your mailbox, what do you do to your dog when it has an accident? Shoot it?
Your a sad angry man, and anyone that condones or compliments this ridiculous behavior is an idiot.
I'd love to see how the cops and his lawyer handle your false claims, not only that if he lost his job because of this garbage, your directly on the hook for slander, as you should be, so when he wins and you owe him $2.5m for his next 10 years at his job, maybe that would give you time to think how.....stupid a remark like this is, what are you 10?

Ok, I'm out now, if you want to reply, and want a tiny chance in hell I'll even read it, make it personal message because....just yuck, yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
...ME!

So, your solution is to file a false police report on something like Pedophilia!!? Holly crap, I cannot believe some of the comments made by our community here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jfasig
In our country (Australia) commercial operators are not allowed within 30 metres of any person or building. I agree with the rest of your post. Of course we can fly over houses. We just have to use common sense. I notice you guys fly at night a lot. We would end up in jail if we did that here, commercial or otherwise without a rating. As a commercial operator I do avoid flying over anything that could suffer if my drone fell out of the sky. I would never fly without VLOS or without a thorough pre flight check. I have been caught before even though I should know better having flown Cessnas for years. Most issues are pilot error.
I agree that there are a lot of people who have no business flying and absolutely no regard for safety or the rules! They make it hard for the rest if us. The laws here state that when flying over people there has to be sufficient coverage over said people.in case of an accident...aka...inside a house. Life before property always! Didn't mean to sound so harsh on the last post!

Kill them with kindness. Next time someone asks like that immediately offer to let them watch the live video feed so they can get a feel for what exactly what everything looks like from 100'+ high. Do the same for the PD. It's also a VERY good idea to make a strong "positive" connection with the PD. Offer to do demonstrations for them or video one of their training events or something (obviously FREE). Be an ambassador of the hobby to them and next time they get a call they may just nip it in the bud for you. You want the PD to have a firm grasp of the true capabilities and the short comings of this technology. I'm speaking of first hand experience at this point.

Whatever you do I would not "just wait and see" if it happens again. If the guy genuinely believes you were doing what he said (remember his perception is now his reality and he may firmly believe it to be true) he's going to call again and you want to be proactive not reactive.

The media has done such a huge disservice to our industry pushing BS and misinformation and literally creating a problem when there was none. John Q. Public has been "taught" that all drones are peeping Tom devices with AMAZING video resolution (night and day) and phenomenal zoom capabilities which I am more than happy to prove wrong to whoever will listen to me. We have a serious uphill battle ahead of us and we have got to work together and educate everyone we come in contact with. Intelligence really is power and that's never been more true than in this situation.
Beautiful, wonderful post! But unfortunately there are some people in this world that no matter what they are shown, their minds are made up and won't change easily or ever. You are right though and elequantly stated.

Reactions: BigAl07
Once again, do not fly next to houses! ;)That will avoid many problems and also to have again, a 207 pages thread aout a close encounter with a frustrated, ignorant, jealous of your toy moron with too much time in his hands, coming to try to get a bit of you. I would love to have mountains and desert around me and enjoy flying there.

I had one disturbing incident the very first time flying my new P3 from my front yard. Right as I landed, a woman with a Russian accent pulled up in a car and immediately started yelling, "You have permit?". I said I don't need one, whereupon she called me a spy and said she's ashamed to be my neighbor (I'd never seen her before or since and have not a clue where she lives).

The last exchange pissed me off and I told her to go back to her country if she didn't like it. She then threatened to come back with a shotgun. Oh well. If she were not a raving lunatic I would have engaged her in a more friendly manner and shown her some of the feed. That didn't deter me and still fly the P4 around my neighborhood.

The key is to climb rapidly and don't disturb. Also as mentioned earlier, any chance I get I show people the FPV and they immediately realize you're not spying on the neighborhood.

Is it weird that I like to find random strangers and get the bird within 100 feet of them and see what they do? I don't do it anymore but it used to be one of my favorite things to do. Lol.

Don't worry, I know it's wrong.

Reactions: RodC
I haven't flown my P4 in weeks because it's too dang hot. I installed the last firmware update and took it out for 9 minutes until the battery was low. As I landed, a strange guy pulled up and looked curious and asked how far that goes. I said it can go around 3 miles on a good day and I started to approach him thinking he was friendly and was going to talk. He immediately revved away from me and got all sketch so I backed up. He took his phone out and started looking for my address obviously. I said my address is XYZ, I'm not doing anything illegal. He was recording me and said so are you recording people? You ar huh? And then took off. This was around 8:30pm.

I literally flew straight down my street block. I live on a hill/mountain so I have an excellent view and clear line of sight. I probably didn't get much more than 1/2 mile away. I live in a community that basically backs up to a wash and wide open desert but have to pass a few houses to get ther, so I really don't fly over any houses and when I rarely do its at about 350' and long enough to fly over.

At about 10:30pm I get a knock on the door which wakes my 2 and 4 year old kids up. It was the police. Dude called 911 and reported me. The cop was pretty cool and said he had to just take my information down and give me a warning. He said it would be best not to fly around there again because if they got called back, they would have to wrte me up for disorderly conduct and it would be up to the prosecutor if they wanted to pursue it. I told him that it's just a case of his word against mine, what if the guy just starts calling. Also, how is he or even you going to be abl to identify a small object 300+ feet in the sky moving 20+ mph as mine?

The guy claimed I was hovering over his house for 5 minutes taking pictures and video at 50' above his house. Mind you, my entire flight was not even 10 minutes, I did zero hovering, I never hover over houses, and I wasn't even cording that flight.

I can't believe I was told if they get called again I am getting a ticket.

This is what I share when confronted & the whiner is willing to watch then or later. The video is long but well worth the time. It has also come in handy when a local TV station was going to do a piece where a lady said a drone was taking pictures of her kids. TV station killed the piece.

Reactions: Jfasig and BigAl07
BigA107 said it all and you should listen to that strong piece of advice! I can't tell you how many people I've demonstrated the Phantom to that have ȚOTALLY opened their eyes up to the point of them wanting to run to a store and purchase one. They were misinformed by the media as if drones were the devil. Kills me how much the public lives, breathes, and eats on anything the media says. It's really sad! But on a lighter note, the many people that I have shown were truly amazed at its capabilities leaving them with a new found respect.

Dude drove up in a truck and I was friendly and tried approaching and he took off.

Sorry for being MIA was traveling for work.

I literally have 3 blocks to travel until I hit about 180 degrees of wide open desert for about 6+ miles out. I'm not going to pack my stuff up and drive 3 blocks all because one dude got mad. It's not like I live in a densely populated area and am just flying circles over my neighbors house. I am very respectful of people and usually fly 400' when having to fly over buildings. Also, it is perfectly legal to fly over Buildings. It is NOT legal to fly over people and I don't. To the poster who said what happened if my P4 fell out of the sky and hit a house - gee airplanes are a lot heavier and fly over houses. Those have been commonly (more than a P4) documented to hot houses yet they still fly over houses.

I called the non-emergency line and spoke with an officer the next day. He said it's very easy to sniff out when people are being jerks and this guy sounded like he was just being a jerk because the cop is familiar with P4s. He said if I can avoid flying in the same area (they can't tell me where the guy lived of course) then I should, but if not there is nothing wrong doing a fly over. He said that if an officer came back my drone could be impounded and I could be ticketed or arrested. He said if I truly wasn't doing anything wrong I should offer to show the flight record. He said if I don't fly while recording, he recommends that I record the whole flight to use as evidence that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I would own up if I was hovering over someone's house and or taking photos or video of them from a distance and was caught. I will absolutely not own up and let some tool control me when lying.

Bottom line, I'm not letting this guy ruin my hobby. I'll slightly modify my Flght path (I don't normally fly in e same area anyway), but I'm not going to let it ruin th hobby for me. I can still fly while being respectful of other people's privacy; always have and always will.

I still take issue with the seizure and arrest comment. At this point I do not think there is anything but an allegation. I would absolutely stop offering information I would attempt to avoid the idiot neighbor but fly in accordance of the rules. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I still take issue with the seizure and arrest comment. At this point I do not think there is anything but an allegation. I would absolutely stop offering information I would attempt to avoid the idiot neighbor but fly in accordance of the rules. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have strong feelings about this too. This is simply a scare tactic. They have no rights to take your personal property or regulate NAS. What are they, the cops, doing again? Why did they visit you? We need to stand up for ourselves guys! Don't let some ignorant LEO try to inform about laws they have no clue of or jurisdiction over. What's really going on??? Is our society so scared of the police that we are letting them guide us???

We all need to step back from this and have a look from the outside. When was the last time a LEO asked a regular pilot about his flight path?

I'm not saying lets be rude and disrespectful. I'm saying lets educate. Instead of listening to what the cops have to say (they obviously don't have a clue), we need to be doing the talking with documents in hand so they can read and be educated just like us. I carry seven pages of laminated docs just in case.......

Remember cops are trained to intemidate. They do it naturally and depending on your attitude and mood of the day, you might just accept what they are telling you.....

If I don't have to fly over someone's house, I don't. I think that's a good rule of thumb. And, I can find no need to hover over someone's house for an extended amount of time. I take property rights and privacy seriously.

If I don't have to fly over someone's house, I don't. I think that's a good rule of thumb. And, I can find no need to hover over someone's house for an extended amount of time. I take property rights and privacy seriously.
This is great, but a property owner has no rights on the air above the tallest structure on there property. So legally I can hover over your backyard 5 feet above the top of your house. This is a federal law and has nothing to do with cops.

I wouldn't though. I live in the country where I can fire off firearms legally. Someone flies over my house, even hovers for a minute or two fine, but if it becomes what I consider out of line, .00 buck from a coach gun time. I've had this discussion with the county deputies whose jurisdiction I fall under.

The noise item in the disorderly conduct would be a breeze to win in court.

I have fought and won disturbing the peace because of noise. Everything regarding the law is based from decibels. You have to have measurement.

Uhhhhh, maybe where you live. Not everywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj