First Real RTH....Man that is nerve wracking...

Reaction score
I was testing out the range of my Phantom when I heard my wife coming up the driveway. I could still see my P3 off in the distance and could barely hear it humming in the distance. I looked at the screen and thought I positioned it to face home and just held the controller forward while I stopped to talk with my wife. I then realized I don't hear it.... Just as I thought that my controller dropped the signal. Crap...

I can't hear it or see it as I live on the side of a hill and I suspected it must have gone out over the top of the hill above me. I pressed the RTH, had no signal at all and waited...and waited....Finally the controller started beeping and I picked up the signal and watched as it came right above at 300ft. I canceled and dropped it down and landed it.

Man that is hard on the nerves.... From the video my aim was off when I turned it around and me holding the controller sent it up over the hill above. It actually went pretty far, then stopped and hovered for a bit, then made a turn towards my house and went straight to it.

This is all nerve racking for me because at Xmas by Wife had bought me a $150 drone that had altitude hold but no GPS. Xmas was a write off wind wise, so the next day I went out on my deck and put it up for my first flight. I was doing great circling the house, getting some cool video but it was not enough. I sent it up higher to get some better footage. Hit the altitude hold and made some bigger circles. On one of my circles, the wind started to push it to the West of my place and it was so high that it was hard to tell what direction it was facing. It was drifting even further away when I panicked and hit to come home button. I really couldn't tell if it was coming or going and in the end it was going.

I learned later on that the home button does not work with altitude hold. Bye Bye drone.... I searched for hours in the woods and yards to the West of me. It basically has evaporated.

I was sad but it paved the way for my new P3S with a rock solid RTH. (A must have for any new drone pilots). I also read the manual and forums to learn as much as I can about this bird.

I use RTH a lot ... and all I can say is :

1. Don't keep pushing sticks if you are not sure where it is.
2. Tap S2 or Screen and initiate RTH and leave all sticks alone.
3. When you see it and have a good idea of orientation - cancel RTH and bring her in manually.

You sound like you panicked once you stopped talking to wife ... try not to.

Just remember that the AC is set to RTH if it loses signal. It works.

Nigel

(snip) Man that is hard on the nerves.... From the video my aim was off when I turned it around and me holding the controller sent it up over the hill above. It actually went pretty far, then stopped and hovered for a bit, then made a turn towards my house and went straight to it.

You couldn't see the map, or the radar, on your smart device?

I was testing out the range of my Phantom when I heard my wife coming up the driveway. I could still see my P3 off in the distance and could barely hear it humming in the distance. I looked at the screen and thought I positioned it to face home and just held the controller forward while I stopped to talk with my wife. I then realized I don't hear it.... Just as I thought that my controller dropped the signal. Crap...

I can't hear it or see it as I live on the side of a hill and I suspected it must have gone out over the top of the hill above me. I pressed the RTH, had no signal at all and waited...and waited....Finally the controller started beeping and I picked up the signal and watched as it came right above at 300ft. I canceled and dropped it down and landed it.

Man that is hard on the nerves.... From the video my aim was off when I turned it around and me holding the controller sent it up over the hill above. It actually went pretty far, then stopped and hovered for a bit, then made a turn towards my house and went straight to it.

This is all nerve racking for me because at Xmas by Wife had bought me a $150 drone that had altitude hold but no GPS. Xmas was a write off wind wise, so the next day I went out on my deck and put it up for my first flight. I was doing great circling the house, getting some cool video but it was not enough. I sent it up higher to get some better footage. Hit the altitude hold and made some bigger circles. On one of my circles, the wind started to push it to the West of my place and it was so high that it was hard to tell what direction it was facing. It was drifting even further away when I panicked and hit to come home button. I really couldn't tell if it was coming or going and in the end it was going.

I learned later on that the home button does not work with altitude hold. Bye Bye drone.... I searched for hours in the woods and yards to the West of me. It basically has evaporated.

I was sad but it paved the way for my new P3S with a rock solid RTH. (A must have for any new drone pilots). I also read the manual and forums to learn as much as I can about this bird.

Glad your Phantom returned to you safely! I don't mean this disrespectfully, however, but one would think that after losing your first drone, you would exercise more caution than just hammering forward on the stick without making sure it was orientated properly. I know, it's easier to say that in hindsight, but just because the Phantom has a decent RTH function doesn't mean you stop thinking. If you needed to stop and talk to your wife, just leave it hover, or initiate a proper automated RTH. Happy flying!

I got that T shirt on my first flight, Lost sight of it & couldn't hear it, panic stations, hit the RTH and after a moment or 2 heard it, phew. It does help you learn a bit about the drone.
Enjoy

Orientation feature?? My DJI Go has a map, and a "radar" screen. Both of those show the orientation of my PHANTOM in relation to compass direction. What??? No body else has this in their DJI Go app?

Reactions: G-CCAS
Orientation feature?? My DJI Go has a map, and a "radar" screen. Both of those show the orientation of my PHANTOM in relation to compass direction. What??? No body else has this in their DJI Go app?

x2 The map in the bottom corner has your flight path and the orientation of the drone always shown. Unless, of course, if you lose signal. Take your hands off the sticks, it hovers, bring the map up, use the stick to turn it towards home and then guide it home. Don't always rely on the view from the camera. Easypeasy

My drone was completely AWOL. The map showed where it last received data. Again. There would have been half a KM of earth direct line of sight from where I was and the drone ended up. (My house is on the side of a hill. The drone was 1/2 KM away at the top of the hill. Again, I got distracted and made an error.

A mistake on my part, glad RTH works as designed.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20