First long range, Didnt go as expected.

Here is my thoughts and from my experiences.
Your mobile device saves the log. When you loose your data and live feed that is the end of your flight log. When your data comes back in even that it is the same flight it starts a new log.

On a Standard if you tap the RTH button on the app. The app is telling the remote control to tell the Phantom to RTH.
But RTH timeout or fail?
The app has no data making it back to the remote. So the app doesn't know what the Phantom is doing. The app is warning you it doesn't know what is going on.

If your really scared you turn off the remote and calmly say "Oh *hit I hope this comes back" 5 times. It should then be headed back. If you turn the remote back on when it gets close enough your data and live feed should show back, keep in mind the mobile device maybe stubborn and try to lock on to a different WIFI.

When RTH is active I get a readout it at the top of the app (if I have data coming in) displaying distance away. I had been flying on real windy day, into the wind some trees got between us and RTH activated. The wind was gusting so strong that it couldn't get back to me the distance was getting smaller then it started getting larger I couldn't see it because of trees. It actually was blowing it past me. It kept trying and finally it made it. Short flight and used a lot of battery.
First time it said rth timed out and i had not video feed but commplete control of the bird cause it would move back to me as asked it to. As soon as i got video i asked for rth and it straight out said rth failed with signal and all.
I could of turned off the transmitter to make another "test" but with theese red flags i just wanted to play it safe and get back to me

Am no newbie to drones. I take avery mesure i can post to every flight to avoid acidents and flyaways but now am of flying to far or losing signal.

I have had my P3S for two weeks and have 10 flights so far. I don't know how you guys are getting that kind of range on a standard set up. Flying from my house ( lots of power lines and wi-fi around I could get out to 650'. Then I went to an open field and could not get past 1,000'. I am going to try a windsurfer to see if I can get any more range.
I get 2500-3000 with windsurfer and it is the standard

I did it from antenna - Tom's Tech Time and used i little harder paper and owen folie from the local food store :)
Ill look into it but looks prety much the same
20160130_012528.jpg

I wouldn't turn off remote to initiate rth. From the manual you can do the following

Toggle the S2 switch back and forth at least
twice to initiate Smart RTH.

I wouldn't turn off remote to initiate rth. From the manual you can do the following

Toggle the S2 switch back and forth at least
twice to initiate Smart RTH.
Yea dat would be the safest way but ive tried rth alot of times and never failed, this one time it failed twice when i lost signal so thats why i mentioned turning of remote to simulate loss of signal with out it having to be so actually far

Last edited:
Today I was able to get 4250' from my driveway with nothing but what came out of the box. I lost video about 10 seconds before I lost RC. 3 seconds later it performed an RTH. I think I'll be getting some cardstock and aluminum foil to see if I can increase that a little more. On the plus side, I did discover a graveyard that I did not know was there. If it wasn't for the trees interference, with that range I could fly it to my parents house from mine. As the crow flies, or as the quad flies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj