First Impressions and now questions

Reaction score
I got my P3P today, opened the box, checked the contents. I'm now charging the flight battery. But during the visual inspection I found the following
1. Seriously is this piece of white styrofoam really the new gimbal retainer?
2. Did everybody remove the clear piece of plastic covering the lens?
3. Did everyone have as much trouble getting the clear plastic wrap off the Controller?
4. Any "gotchas" upgrading firmware if you follow the directions step by step?

styrofoam is packing material
remove plastic off lens
No on the controller
No gotchas on the firmware. Install it on an sd card with remote off. Put it into the P3 and initial. Wait until the tone changes. View readme txt on the sd card to make sure it says successful. Put the same bin file onto a USB flash drive and insert it into the remote port. Turn on the remote and wait for tone changes and LED to move out of blue

That's it. 10 minutes for P3 3-4 minutes for remote

I got my P3P today, opened the box, checked the contents. I'm now charging the flight battery. But during the visual inspection I found the following
3. Did everyone have as much trouble getting the clear plastic wrap off the Controller?

1) no idea but I pulled off and the proper gimbal protector was unattached in bottom of box.
2) yes
3) yes
4) yes, i did it several times and it hung, (see my post elsewhere on this) turned out it was already upgraded.
if it sits there flashing at you for over 5 minutes, take out the sd card and read the text file created.

The manual is missing lots of information.

Does your box have a serial number on ? (see my other post on this)

Mine just arrived!! Not sure if I am happy or sad. Can I fly w/o the app? just LOS? Anything to pop the maiden voyage cherry???

1. Yes and it holds well
2. Yes mine was on but it basically fell off in my hand when i took it off.
3. Yes until i opened the tape at the base of the controller then it came off like a diaper.
4. What are directions?

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Followed the Directions, No Problems

Received P3P 5/5/15 from DJI. Got Two Sets of Props. Total of 8 props was this a bonus? No extra battery yet.

Yes the plastic around the controller was a pain but I did not mind as it protected the finish (mine came off in about 10 pieces when I was done). The foam on the gimbal is just for shipping. I'm having a hard time going back to that other plastic piece to secure the camera. I'm using a 3D printed gimbal lock on my P2v that is just wonderful. DJI _really_ should have changed to this design as well. That plastic lock has a piece in the top that has to align perfectly with a notch in the gimbal in order to lock in place. It's such a pain... and worse when you know how easy the 3D printed lock can be. I see that there is one gimbal lock now on ebay but I don't like the design. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see what pops up.

If you are running Android you do not need to update the firmware. The new firmware is only for iOS and was required to get the Pilot app onto iTunes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31