SKYREAT Landing Gear Stabilizers Review for the Dji Phantom 4

Reaction score
Amazon - [[ASIN:B01HM8UAKM SKYREAT Landing Gear Stabilizers for Dji Phantom 4 Quadcopter]]

(I am having trouble uploading images for some reason but they can be found on Amazon's website under the review for this product.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HM8UAKM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been looking for some extra stability for my DJI Phantom 4 drone for a little while now. These drones can sometimes have the tendency to tip over upon landing...especially on uneven ground. This results at the very least to damage to your propellers, if not something else. Not good for such an expensive investment.

I came across SKYREAT's set of landing gear stabilizers and was drawn to them because of their unique design compared to the competition. The stabilizers came as a pair in a nice retail bag. They are made of a strong, yet flexible plastic. The instructions for installation were pretty clear, aside from a few typos or a photo that shows to install the clip on the right side but shows a photo of them installing it on the left. No big deal since installation was not rocket science. I recommend lining the side clips up, clipping the center portion first and then work on the side clips. I would also recommend chamfering a tiny bit of the white plastic center clip so that it slides over the rubber strip on the underside of the Phantom's legs easier and will help protect that piece from wear. I was impressed with the flexibility where the side clips are. They required a little bit of flexing to get them lined up and snapped into place but once done the landing gear fit perfectly on the Phantom 4! These legs even fit with the stock Phantom camera gimbal clip which is a giant plus. I will say that I was cautious while installing and removing the gear as I was afraid of breaking the plastic but it flexed enough and was strong enough to handle significant bending.

As far as stability, I did some calculations and the stock Phantom 4 has roughly a footprint of 6.25"x6" or 37.5 sq. inches. With the SKYREAT landing gear you get roughly 8"x10" or 80 sq. inches! That means that these legs give you over twice the landing footprint for stability! 2.13 times to be exact. This makes a HUGE difference! Additionally, arguably one of the most expensive and valuable part of the Phantom series drones is the camera and gimbal. This added stability along with 3/4" to 1" of additional height protect your camera even more from damage.

As far as performance I have to give points for the flexibility that the legs offered. This means that they will absorb more of the impact by flexing upon landing resulting in a softer landing and avoiding a direct jolt to your Phantom. Other more rigid landing gear out there do not give you this advantage and therefore transfer the shock into the drone.

In conclusion, if you want some well designed, well fitting landing gear for your Phantom 4 that give you much greater stability, better impact protection, additional height, all with a great look that match your drone perfectly then SKYREAT's Landing Gear Stabilizers are for you. It is certainly worth the peace of mind and a lot cheaper to replace than expensive components of your drone!

As a side note, this product was sent to me for free or at a discounted price in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. I take my reviews seriously and take care to do a thorough evaluation of any products I try and use. Let me know if you have any questions.

Made mine for £2

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 659
Any videos of it landing that you can post? I'm definitely interested.

Polar pro has a similar product.

upload_2016-8-22_15-35-36.png

The tippy-ness of the P4 craft when landing in the slightest wind is EXACTLY why I usually hand catch. DJI has the idle RPM set way too high when on the ground. It's set higher than P3P which doesn't exhibit this problem as much. I wish DJI would let us customize the idle speed more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishie
Polar pro has a similar product.

View attachment 62896

The tippy-ness of the P4 craft when landing in the slightest wind is EXACTLY why I usually hand catch. DJI has the idle RPM set way too high when on the ground. It's set higher than P3P which doesn't exhibit this problem as much. I wish DJI would let us customize the idle speed more.

I have muscular dystrophy so there is no way that I could safely do a hand catch. Yes Polar Pro has a similar product but I was unable to get a set to compare. From the outside they look nice but I worry they are too rigid and won't absorb much impact. Then again I had no product to test. I'm happy with SKYREAT's product so far.

Fishie, how easy do they go on and off? I use the P4 case it came in and they would have to be removed every time I put the P4 away. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have muscular dystrophy so there is no way that I could safely do a hand catch. Yes Polar Pro has a similar product but I was unable to get a set to compare. From the outside they look nice but I worry they are too rigid and won't absorb much impact. Then again I had no product to test. I'm happy with SKYREAT's product so far.

Plus I prefer the color white...which is currently not available right now from Polar Pro.

EDIT: Well maybe they do now come in white. As of last week they were not out yet but were in the works.

Last edited:
Fishie, how easy do they go on and off? I use the P4 case it came in and they would have to be removed every time I put the P4 away. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well I have seen the Polar Pro video from above and they did not go on or come off as easy as those. I have never tried Polar Pros however I would think that anything that was attached more securely is less apt to come off in flight or during landing. Plus a more secure fit is less apt to induce vibration into the quad. Your mileage may vary but I personally need both hands to put it on and take it off. Also..you are right....without some major hacking to your foam case, you will have to remove them to fit the Phantom back in the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan