First flights w/iPad GS; Question re: ad hoc networks

Reaction score
My students and I have flown first successful flights with the newly released iPad ground station software. We have posted a video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgINSZKKAro

Here's the question about ad hoc networks. I had gotten the impression that you could preload Google maps when connected to the internet, save the mission, and then fly once the mission is saved. I was hoping that you could do this and then just use an iPhone ad hoc network to connect to the DJI Bluetooth Data Link. Tried it but didn’t work; luckily one of the students has an iPhone hotspot capability and that's how we were able to fly. Am I missing something?

I have done this on the PC software that comes with the GS

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Your demonstration of how to initially set up the iPad was especially helpful. I'm looking forward to learning more about your experience with the GS.

john r conrad said:
My students and I have flown first successful flights with the newly released iPad ground station software. We have posted a video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgINSZKKAro

Here's the question about ad hoc networks. I had gotten the impression that you could preload Google maps when connected to the internet, save the mission, and then fly once the mission is saved. I was hoping that you could do this and then just use an iPhone ad hoc network to connect to the DJI Bluetooth Data Link. Tried it but didn’t work; luckily one of the students has an iPhone hotspot capability and that's how we were able to fly. Am I missing something?

john r conrad said:
Hey Thanks! Can you post details of what you did?
Running the PC DJI Ground Station on a Windows 7 i5 processor laptop.
1. Start the GS in VPN mode either from the nag screen or put it into VPN mode from the Sys_set/options/Network settings.
2. When connected to the internet plot the waypoints.
3. Make sure its in VPN mode
4. Save the mission
5. On site (where there is no internet) open the mission. The map will load with it.
6. After the usual preflight procedure upload the mission and Go

Works for me :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl