First flight - very negative experience with person on the ground.

This is why it's important to "know your rights" and keep up with any FAA regulation changes.

...or what ever aviation administration your country goes by.

I live in the US and Not once has anyone ever said a negative thing to me, but I know it's bound to happen. The guy that taught me to fly has a letter he wrote outlining the laws and he keeps it on the outside of a three ring binder, a binder that has a clear plastic sleeve on the front. If anyone approaches him while he's flying and they are negative he tells them to read that piece of paper. It shuts them down. Says I'd be glad to talk to you once I'm done flying but any attempt to interfere with me or distract me while this aircraft is in flight is a felony and it goes on citing the laws about how he's allowed to fly etc. I set mine out every time I go flying and have never had anyone look at it because all have been positive. If you want the letter let me know. You can make adjustments it's in a word doc. HOWEVER, the last time I flew I noticed an old lady walking her dog looking and me with a nasty look on her face. It was like she wanted to say something negative but just did not even know what to say. Now I usually don't do this but that day I had taken small orange cones and made a little landing area. I also made a flight line. I laid out a FAA sectional chart in the grass, and I hung a bright green vest ( that said Drone Pilot ) over my case where it could easily be seen. Looking, official also goes a long way. Something to think about. I think you did a great job and don't let that hippie discourage you! Good luck

I've read about it a bit on here but today I took my p4p out for its first proper serious flight in a fairly remote location and had a really bad experience with a foreign tourist.

I was the only one there and had my bird up for about 10 minutes just after sunrise when this hippy looking tourist pops up and comes up to me and says "oh that's such a noisy thing isn't it, it's so peaceful here and you've got that thing flying around"

I knew straight away by his tone and attitude he was being passive aggressive and was annoyed by the drone. I straight away replied "yeah it's nice here isn't it, lucky I'm not gonna be long and I'm not hurting anyone". (This is while I'm flying and filming).

He then circles around me, I look at him and know he wants more to say, like he just couldn't let it go. He then says "oh you do know this is a nature reserve don't you?, it's just a shame to lose that peaceful effect" ... (it's not a nature reserve it's a national park - here in Australia there is a difference).

I looked at him and could see he was annoyed. I could see by his face and throat his heart was racing 100miles an hour and he was pi$$ed off.
I looked him straight in the eye and said "are we going to have a problem mate?". He then says "oh no no, no there is no problem, just people like to have peace and quiet" and starts walking away.

I was furious, I couldn't think straight and subsequently I'm pretty sure my footage is going to be rubbish. The more he spoke the angrier I was getting and I think he definitely sensed it was time to walk away which was probably best for him.

This might sound a little arrogant but for someone to come into my country and question me flying a drone in a national park that MY taxes help maintain, create the roads to these amazing places as well as promote them I find straight up disgusting.

If not for people like us - photographers, film makers etc who provide images for the beautiful brochures etc and the advertisements on tv these hippy tourists wouldn't even know these places exist.

And this was only my first flight ..... [emoji35]
I've read about it a bit on here but today I took my p4p out for its first proper serious flight in a fairly remote location and had a really bad experience with a foreign tourist.

I was the only one there and had my bird up for about 10 minutes just after sunrise when this hippy looking tourist pops up and comes up to me and says "oh that's such a noisy thing isn't it, it's so peaceful here and you've got that thing flying around"

I knew straight away by his tone and attitude he was being passive aggressive and was annoyed by the drone. I straight away replied "yeah it's nice here isn't it, lucky I'm not gonna be long and I'm not hurting anyone". (This is while I'm flying and filming).

He then circles around me, I look at him and know he wants more to say, like he just couldn't let it go. He then says "oh you do know this is a nature reserve don't you?, it's just a shame to lose that peaceful effect" ... (it's not a nature reserve it's a national park - here in Australia there is a difference).

I looked at him and could see he was annoyed. I could see by his face and throat his heart was racing 100miles an hour and he was pi$$ed off.
I looked him straight in the eye and said "are we going to have a problem mate?". He then says "oh no no, no there is no problem, just people like to have peace and quiet" and starts walking away.

I was furious, I couldn't think straight and subsequently I'm pretty sure my footage is going to be rubbish. The more he spoke the angrier I was getting and I think he definitely sensed it was time to walk away which was probably best for him.

This might sound a little arrogant but for someone to come into my country and question me flying a drone in a national park that MY taxes help maintain, create the roads to these amazing places as well as promote them I find straight up disgusting.

If not for people like us - photographers, film makers etc who provide images for the beautiful brochures etc and the advertisements on tv these hippy tourists wouldn't even know these places exist.

When I first started flying in the the San Diego area of southern California I felt extremely self conscious and expected a lot of negative reactions. To my surprise most people completely ignored me, and more than a few were curious and excited to see the drone. Unfortunately, laws in the United States preclude flying in some of the most extraordinary places such as national parks. This leaves the open spaces that are essentially over private property, which are technically off limits even in rural areas. So in this regard you are lucky that Australia has opened it's national parks to drone flying. I would love to fly in some of the National Parks without fear of sanction. I feel there should be a way to do this; perhaps setting aside a specific day of the week for this, or certain areas in a given national park, or even charging a fee to fly in otherwise restricted areas in order to discourage unlimited flying in these places. A drone can certainly be annoying in an otherwise idyllic natural setting. But when compared to off road vehicles, hunting, or simply hordes of people in their cars cruising through the parks it's hardly something to be outraged about.

Reactions: Ben01
The guy that taught me to fly has a letter he wrote outlining the laws and he keeps it on the outside of a three ring binder, a binder that has a clear plastic sleeve on the front.

That's a good idea. I'd be interested in a copy of that letter.

Just remember the distance/height laws, stay away from people and keep your FAA registration in your back pocket.

did you kick him in the nuts and tell him to go lay down by his dish?

I think your making a big deal out of nothing.
It sounds to me like you have an anger problem. Hard to imagine why you got furious over that.
"It is important to take responsibility for your own feelings and behaviors."

Unfortunately he's right. You will need permission to Fly in Aus from the park manager, being a national park. You technically are not allowed to fly unless you have been granted authority to fly due to many factors including noise. Try fly in Australia in the dandenongs where waterfalls are in the national park. I was told I wasn't allowed.

I had a German guy come up to me (in Vancouver, Canada) and tell me I shouldn't park in a yellow zone (it's for fire trucks in front of the mall) - even though I was sitting in the car with the engine running.
Even if 1% of the population are dicks, all you need to do is encounter 100 people a day and you'll run into a ****. Just relax and move on....

Sorry to hear that. I brought my Wife and Daughter to the park today and I flew from the empty basketball court. The only thing I heard was kids playing in the park saying "Cool!" And "There's the drone! Where is it? Do you see it?"

Most of the time anyone who has been asking me about it can't actually see it until I point it out to them at 380 feet the only time I could really hear it was when it was directly above or flying near by in sport mode. I used to work nights and listen to a jackhammer running outside while I was trying to sleep. I never once bothered them as I understood that the noise is proper and fully permitted regardless of whether I am trying to sleep or meditate and this gentleman should understand the same. I moved as far out to the country as I could get and the crickets and coyotes at night can make more noise than my and be even more annoying because they go all night.

Nah it's all good, hopefully those sort of confrontations are few and far between. I avoid people like the plague and am lucky to fly in an area where I am rarely bothered. Having said that, I had a bloke yell out to me that he wished he had a shotgun to shoot my drone down. I yelled back to him that not only had I recorded his voice on the go app but I also took the trouble of filming him during the event. It's the fastest I've ever seen someone get in their car and leave. They live amongst

That's why they made tripod mode. So you can set your controller down and take care of business if needed. Be sure to post the video! Just kidding.
The more people are exposed to nice people flying drones the better it will be. We aren't going away!!

I think your making a big deal out of nothing.
It sounds to me like you have an anger problem. Hard to imagine why you got furious over that.
"It is important to take responsibility for your own feelings and behaviors."

Yeah okay mate [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I have an anger problem as clearly you are a trained and registered psychiatrist!!

Thanks and have a nice day [emoji111]️[emoji111]️

Reactions: UpLift Aerial

Remember, when others annoy you, they are also controlling you.

Some

Some people are best ignored. It sounds like you might have disturbed his nearby cave.

Hey just wondering what park you were at? Im in Melbourne and far as I know you not allowed to fly in a National Park, here in Vic anyways.

Its funny that these aircraft are in their prime filming in locations like national parks but we aren't allowed to go there. I took my P4 on our holiday to the Blue Mountains National Park (of which plenty of videos exist) but doing the right thing and not wanting to risk my CASA registration I phoned and emailed the NSW National Parks authority for permission. Was told NO outright for the 3 sisters (again footage exists on youtube but understandable considering the number of tourists) and because people are bushwalking all other areas of the park are off limits too, no questions.... nothing. (To put things in perspective I also have a light aircraft license which I did point out to NSW NPA).

After getting despondent I went for a drive and found an area that was just outside the park to film, 3 base jumpers and a group of bushwalkers turned up after takeoff and they just sat in amazement as the little P4 went about its thing. (In retrospect I should have filmed the base jumpers from a safe distance but didn't want to risk getting in their way, it would have been awesome footage).

Queensland is a lot more liberal when it comes to drones, just stating you need a permit to land in a national park (which may or may not cost money).

Permits for parks and forests | Recreation, sport and arts | Queensland Government

My point being, the people National Parks claim are the ones they are protecting from our drones don't give 2 hoots about our little aircraft, its just the 1 in 100 stoner hippies that are the issue, sadly they complain to the politicians the loudest.

My 2 cents.

P.S. Ben01 You weren't up near Broome were you ? That would be awesome footage.

Hey just wondering what park you were at? Im in Melbourne and far as I know you not allowed to fly in a National Park, here in Vic anyways.

I'm also in Melbourne and contacted Parks Victoria. I was give a blanket NO to flying in National or State Parks in Victoria. As far as they are concerned, this is a blanket ban on recreational drone flights and there are no exceptions allowed at local level. Having said that, it might be worth checking with a Park Manager, if you can find one for a specific location.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl