First flight - very negative experience with person on the ground.

Just caught up with this one, you did well Ben - containing frustration and on your first flight. I get approached almost every flight but so far it's been interest, no complaints, you've had a bad experience hopefully they will be far apart if ever again. Enjoy and safe flying

Thank you mate I appreciate that [emoji106]

I've read about it a bit on here but today I took my p4p out for its first proper serious flight in a fairly remote location and had a really bad experience with a foreign tourist.

I was the only one there and had my bird up for about 10 minutes just after sunrise when this hippy looking tourist pops up and comes up to me and says "oh that's such a noisy thing isn't it, it's so peaceful here and you've got that thing flying around"

I knew straight away by his tone and attitude he was being passive aggressive and was annoyed by the drone. I straight away replied "yeah it's nice here isn't it, lucky I'm not gonna be long and I'm not hurting anyone". (This is while I'm flying and filming).

He then circles around me, I look at him and know he wants more to say, like he just couldn't let it go. He then says "oh you do know this is a nature reserve don't you?, it's just a shame to lose that peaceful effect" ... (it's not a nature reserve it's a national park - here in Australia there is a difference).

I looked at him and could see he was annoyed. I could see by his face and throat his heart was racing 100miles an hour and he was pi$$ed off.
I looked him straight in the eye and said "are we going to have a problem mate?". He then says "oh no no, no there is no problem, just people like to have peace and quiet" and starts walking away.

I was furious, I couldn't think straight and subsequently I'm pretty sure my footage is going to be rubbish. The more he spoke the angrier I was getting and I think he definitely sensed it was time to walk away which was probably best for him.

This might sound a little arrogant but for someone to come into my country and question me flying a drone in a national park that MY taxes help maintain, create the roads to these amazing places as well as promote them I find straight up disgusting.

If not for people like us - photographers, film makers etc who provide images for the beautiful brochures etc and the advertisements on tv these hippy tourists wouldn't even know these places exist.

And this was only my first flight ..... [emoji35]
It's going to happen from time to time. In a situation like that I will let the person know that they are interfering with the safety of my flight due to their distraction. It works 99% of the time. Keep flying and keep safe. Safety first at all times.

Reactions: Ben01
What you may not realise is, in accordance with current Dept of the Enviriment and Heritage policy, permission is required from the park manager prior to operating a UAV in a National Park. I have offered you a suggestion to avoid future incidents and I have, unfortunately, first hand experience of his some of these drongos behave.

Looks like you are quoting from the NSW Dept of the Environment. Unfortunately down here in Victoria it is even more restrictive. Parks Victoria manage the National Parks down here and their rules state that you need a permit to fly in any area managed by Parks Victoria. To get the permit, you also have to be a CASA registered remote pilot. They state that recreational drone flying is not allowed at all. [emoji45]

Having said that, I have seen drones in the parks and have seen many drone videos on YouTube of National Parks in Victoria. I have flown over both Port Phillip bay and Western Port and only recently found out that these areas fall within Parks Victoria's remit as well, even although not marked as such on any maps.

I didn't quote anything specific although I am aware that Deot Environment and Heratige imposes the general restrictions in NSW (local park management enforces) and that things are even more tightly regulated down south. That's why I made a general suggestion to the OP, out of sight out of mind so to speak. If you want to launch from the more popular tourist lookouts and other highly frequented spots expect attention and people to approach you. Greenies, bird watchers and nature lovers may not appreciate UAV's as much as we do and we should expect some will express their dissatisfaction at having their peaceful enjoyment interfered with. We also know we shouldn't be flying there and the rangers will ask you to cease flying, perhaps do more than that to spoil your day also. I have never had an issue however I am prepared to walk several km to a suitable launch point, in most instances the scenery is better there than at the well known easily accessible tourist spots also.

Reactions: ihj and Ben01
I didn't quote anything specific although I am aware that Deot Environment and Heratige imposes the general restrictions in NSW (local park management enforces) and that things are even more tightly regulated down south. That's why I made a general suggestion to the OP, out of sight out of mind so to speak. If you want to launch from the more popular tourist lookouts and other highly frequented spots expect attention and people to approach you. Greenies, bird watchers and nature lovers may not appreciate UAV's as much as we do and we should expect some will express their dissatisfaction at having their peaceful enjoyment interfered with. We also know we shouldn't be flying there and the rangers will ask you to cease flying, perhaps do more than that to spoil your day also. I have never had an issue however I am prepared to walk several km to a suitable launch point, in most instances the scenery is better there than at the well known easily accessible tourist spots also.

Totally agree. I likewise, tend to look for isolated areas to take off and fly and avoid the more popular areas to avoid annoying others. It's a pity about the no flying in National Parks as they cover vast areas of beautiful scenery with nobody around, so annoying nobody. But all it needs is one ranger to ruin the experience. I know a local flyer who was given a $75 fine for flying in a State Park. I know that's not a vast sum compared to some stories you read, but it's a lot to pay for 30 minutes of enjoyment.

Where was that out if interest? - I too fly in and around Melbourne, doing my best to fly responsibly, low profile, respect others etc but this 'fly nowhere' Victorian situation is disappointing at best.

Your guy must have been on the Australian leg of his worldwide 'Git' tour. Good holding your cool, it can be challenging sometimes, especially with the assorted nuts we have here in the States.

Where was that out if interest? - I too fly in and around Melbourne, doing my best to fly responsibly, low profile, respect others etc but this 'fly nowhere' Victorian situation is disappointing at best.

In a small coastal town up north in Western Australia [emoji4]

Reactions: Loz
I've read about it a bit on here but today I took my p4p out for its first proper serious flight in a fairly remote location and had a really bad experience with a foreign tourist.

I was the only one there and had my bird up for about 10 minutes just after sunrise when this hippy looking tourist pops up and comes up to me and says "oh that's such a noisy thing isn't it, it's so peaceful here and you've got that thing flying around"

I knew straight away by his tone and attitude he was being passive aggressive and was annoyed by the drone. I straight away replied "yeah it's nice here isn't it, lucky I'm not gonna be long and I'm not hurting anyone". (This is while I'm flying and filming).

He then circles around me, I look at him and know he wants more to say, like he just couldn't let it go. He then says "oh you do know this is a nature reserve don't you?, it's just a shame to lose that peaceful effect" ... (it's not a nature reserve it's a national park - here in Australia there is a difference).

I looked at him and could see he was annoyed. I could see by his face and throat his heart was racing 100miles an hour and he was pi$$ed off.
I looked him straight in the eye and said "are we going to have a problem mate?". He then says "oh no no, no there is no problem, just people like to have peace and quiet" and starts walking away.

I was furious, I couldn't think straight and subsequently I'm pretty sure my footage is going to be rubbish. The more he spoke the angrier I was getting and I think he definitely sensed it was time to walk away which was probably best for him.

This might sound a little arrogant but for someone to come into my country and question me flying a drone in a national park that MY taxes help maintain, create the roads to these amazing places as well as promote them I find straight up disgusting.

If not for people like us - photographers, film makers etc who provide images for the beautiful brochures etc and the advertisements on tv these hippy tourists wouldn't even know these places exist.

Hell yeah brother!! I'm with you 100%!! Also, it's not like you were going to be flying all **** day! That dude needs to get a life!! He's a tourist, not a resident like yourself. He needs to shut his mouth and mind his own business. He'll come across the right person one day with that b.s. attitude and he'll wish he hadn't opened his mouth (if you know what I mean) keep flyin' bro!!! Model aircraft is not a crime !!!!!!!!!

"I'll be happy to talk to you later. In the meantime it's a $1000 fine interfering with someone operating an aircraft and by law I have to ask you to stand 25 metres away."

"I'll be happy to talk to you later. In the meantime it's a $1000 fine interfering with someone operating an aircraft and by law I have to ask you to stand 25 metres away."

Well, if u read the original post, the gentleman flying the drone was in an area away from the fella. The gentleman in question walked up to him. If this is the case then the person in question is just a A-word. Now, who's to say what distance away each of them were. But regardless, the gentleman in question obviously has a problem with drones and wanted to start crap and run his gator. Now also, if the gentleman flying the drone was endangering people and flying too close to people then YES by all means, but there is no indication of that in the post. Bottom line, the gentleman in question was trying to start crap

Well, if u read the original post, the gentleman flying the drone was in an area away from the fella. The gentleman in question walked up to him. If this is the case then the person in question is just a A-word. Now, who's to say what distance away each of them were. But regardless, the gentleman in question obviously has a problem with drones and wanted to start crap and run his gator. Now also, if the gentleman flying the drone was endangering people and flying too close to people then YES by all means, but there is no indication of that in the post. Bottom line, the gentleman in question was trying to start crap

I apologize to you, I sent this to the wrong person.

There are a couple places I'd love to fly the drone but it's not legal (National Park). And I could get that in some places it would/could disturb the tranquility of those places.

Haven't 'booked' this summer yet, but beginning to plan on drone-wonderful places...

I would have messed that dude up a bit.

What you may not realise is, in accordance with current Dept of the Enviriment and Heritage policy, permission is required from the park manager prior to operating a UAV in a National Park. I have offered you a suggestion to avoid future incidents and I have, unfortunately, first hand experience of his some of these drongos behave.
Depends what state you are in. Some states are quite restrictive, while others are pretty flexible. Kakadu and Uluru (as parts of Parks Australia) are completely off limits though.

Hopefully your went back to that location the next three days and duplicated your flight. Count your blessings mate. In the United States the National Park Service has made it illegal to fly drones in national parks.
Drone Flying at National Parks Can Result in Penalties, Fines

I've only been approached once while flying and been asked if I "had permission to fly and film" where I was... In short, if it's a public place without restriction and I am operating within the guidelines set forth, I answer with as short of an answer as possible, and then do my best to ignore the nuisance.

As soon as the hippy knucklehead approached me with that tone, I would have just looked at him and shook my head.. No need for a reply when someone is acting like a complete tool with that false sense of entitlement. F him! Responding only helps in giving him fuel to throw on the fire.. someone like that is looking for a response to justify his childish rant.

I'm sorry you encountered such a jersey while operating your drone. Keep flying, and I hope this experience doesn't dissuade you from enjoying your hobby.

Reactions: AyeYo and Ben01
I've done alot of flying and, so far, most onlookers are very interested or curious. In the US, national parks and wild life preserves are NOT legal locations to fly drones. One of my approaches, even when there is a posting "No Drones" is to seek out the responsible authority and discuss the perceived risk, discuss my photographic objectives, and show some of my past work. Everytime, I have been authorized to fly at an agreed upon time and place. If a stranger comes up and shows me the "No Drones" sign, I review the specific arrangements I made. I assure him that I respect the authorities and work with them. It has worked ... so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav