First drone Pilot charged in Edmonton area!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wow, it was just announced on our local cbc news that Parks Canada wants the public to know, we aren't welcome to bring our drones. A drone operator has been charged for unauthorized take off and landing in a national park area. Elk Island Park is officially an Off Limits to any drone activity zone. Apparently the buzzing of drones can bother the wildlife, and disturb some sensitive nesting birds in the park. They have a wild bison herd there..

First time offense under the Nationa Parks Act could bring about a fine up to $25,000. Now watch them try and stick it, to this guy.

What a shame. That was going to be one of my own dreamed about locations to enjoy a few flight batteries with the Phantom 3 Pro. Not any more... Darn.

RedHotPoker

Oh I was planning to visit Canada next month with my birds.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well then, you should have a wonderful time. And most memorable visit.
What areas are you planning on going? Hopefully you get to visit our Rockies.

Please Don't fly within our incredibly diverse National parks. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Just read this article.

To protect wildlife, Elk Island National Park is no-drone zone
Parks Canada says unmanned aerial vehicles can bug the birds and bison

the-swainson-s-hawk-is-one-of-about-250-bird-species-recorded-at-elk-island.jpg

The Swainson's hawk is one of about 250 bird species recorded at Elk Island National Park (Elk Island National Park/Parks Canada)

As many bird species begin their annual migrations out of Elk Island National Park for the winter, Parks Canada wants to remind people that drones are not allowed there.

The remote-controlled flying vehicles are exploding in popularity, and while on-board cameras can capture incredible footage, drones can also cause problems with wildlife.

"I don't think a lot of people realize that it does in fact intrude on both wildlife and park operations," said Janelle Lane, a spokesperson for Elk Island National Park, about 50 km east of Edmonton.

Lane said one of the big concerns at this time of year is the impact on migratory birds flying south.

"Throughout the year, we can see up to 250 species of birds," Lane said. "So from nesting to migration, that airspace really is crucial to remain natural for those birds to feel safe."

The buzzing noise made by flying drones can also be disruptive to the park's larger animals, including about 800 bison.

the-buzzing-sound-of-drones-can-be-disruptive-to-the-approximately-800-wood-and-plains-bison.jpg

Staff say the buzzing noise from drones can be 'disruptive' to the approximately 800 bison at Elk Island National Park. (Elk Island National Park/Parks Canada)

"If you're at the bison loop, which is a popular place for vehicles to drive by, and you start having constant drone operations, the bison won't return to that spot," Lane said. "And that's an important place for them to feed, because it's a large meadow in the park."

While one person was charged last month with the unauthorized takeoff and landing of an aircraft, so far Parks Canada staff are concentrating on educating people about the issue.

That includes giving people who try to fly drones in the park what staff call "friendly reminders" that unmanned aerial vehicles have been banned there since 2014.

janelle-lane-with-the-no-drone-warning-signs-at-elk-island.JPG

Janelle Lane with the 'no-drone' warning signs at Elk Island park. (Gareth Hampshire CBC News)

Signs in the park warn people that those who fly drones could face fines. Drone flyers charged under the National Parks Act could face fines of up $25,000 for a first offence.

In the winter months, Parks Canada staff count bison, moose and elk from helicopters and don't want drones in the air.

The park is also keen to keep airspace clear for any possible RCMP helicopter searches or STARS air ambulance emergency flights.

elk-island-national-park-attracted-more-than-300-000-visitors-in-2015.JPG

Elk Island National Park attracted more than 300,000 visitors in 2015. (Gareth Hampshire CBC News)

On occasion, drone permits may be granted for film crews or for researchers, but not for recreational use.

Staff feel strongly the park should remain as natural as possible for visitors, Lane said.

"You want to have that sense of natural awe. If a robotic device flies overhead, not only is that moment interrupted but your privacy is also at risk."

RedHotPoker

You can fly your drone there if you pay for a permit (Commercial film crews.) mentioned near the end. How much it's worth to you to do so is the question. I'd guess $2,500-$3,000 per day, plus insurance, and whatever a park monitor is paid for by the hour ($85-$120/hr.?), and the wait for approval. Canada has been very good at sucking a lot of movie work out of Hollywood, and I doubt they want to put an end to it. Money talks.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
It funny how the environazis get to use the words may and can or "can be" like in - "Staff say the buzzing noise from drones "can be" 'disruptive' to the approximately 800 bison" and then base it on this - "In the winter months, Parks Canada staff count bison, moose and elk from helicopters and don't want drones in the air." We have been seeing this type of wordage used often when they have no scientific proof. Like the forest circus or USFW saying that gold mining may hurt fish... I use to chase bison and run with the buffalo when I was a kid and still that's no comparison to netting fish and shooting the bison and buffalo. In some states the Native Americans can take 10 buffalo a year. Then there's other sayings like - "It’s theoretically possible" even though it's never happened in history... They twist the words to meet their agenda these days unfortunately... There's a lot of disinformation in this article so don't be lead down that path but check it out -
The buffalo hunt: a Native American photographer joins the cull

I'd like to see an independent study ( maybe someone here has a link? ) that shows the effects our quads have on wildlife etc. Government heavy hands are not being held accountable here with evidence.

Four sure something when low and close but when your 300 feet up, the noise is like wind.

It's simple for me, I have refused to go into DC, or national parks since the drone ban. Will it make a difference? Not really but as the voices grow things change.

The good part is seeing rangers educating as much as possible as to the law. Wether the law is right or wrong is a matter to debate.

Reactions: Reed L
Hahaha. May and can be disruptive, that is, unless you pay to shoot as a commercial film crew. Typical government nonsense.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Tapatalk

There is a big difference between "Counting the herd" and buzzing the heard and disrupting the herd. Granted the vast majority of us would only want to capture the beauty and majesty of nature but there are many who would be buzzing them or trying to get up close and personal shots.

I'd like to see an independent study ( maybe someone here has a link? ) that shows the effects our quads have on wildlife etc. Government heavy hands are not being held accountable here with evidence.

No research needed, it's been shown. People have flown drones over wildlife and separated the adults from the young. Now, place this against what... someone's need to get an aerial shot right at that location? It's not like there are millions of other places to get shots. Also, how many people at National Parks want 10's of drones buzzing around while they are attempting to enjoy the sights.

State parks in UT also ban drones. However, for only part of the year. During the winter months, when there are not as many people, you can fly drones. To me, this indicates that they gave it some real thought. They understand the situation and have made a compromise.

No research needed, it's been shown. People have flown drones over wildlife and separated the adults from the young. Now, place this against what... someone's need to get an aerial shot right at that location? It's not like there are millions of other places to get shots. Also, how many people at National Parks want 10's of drones buzzing around while they are attempting to enjoy the sights.

State parks in UT also ban drones. However, for only part of the year. During the winter months, when there are not as many people, you can fly drones. To me, this indicates that they gave it some real thought. They understand the situation and have made a compromise.

Well said :)

So a P3 at 200-300 feet is separating the adults from the young animals?

Any links to support this claim?

My personal experience is that wildlife doesn't care about my P3. If the parks had said "a majority of our visitors are annoyed by the drones" it would make a little sense, but the wildlife disruption line is BS.

Someone could buzz the bison at 20', just make the minimum fine $50,000 and prosecute whoever does it. Problem solved and you only effect those who are actually a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I absolutely LOVE my sUAS (and fly one or more almost every day and have a company that does this) I love the peace and tranquility of being out camping even more. The very last thing I would want while vacationing/camping/visiting a part area would be the quietness broken by the buzz/hum of a sUAS. This is outside of any wildlife concerns or safety concerns. This is purely not a good place to have drones flying around spoiling it for the majority of visitors.

There are documented cases of drone operators buzzing wildlife across YouTube. While most of us would respectfully stay high and try to not affect the wildlife in any way there are many (more than you'd think) who would get a kick out of watching the animals scatter/run from the aircraft.

While I absolutely LOVE my sUAS (and fly one or more almost every day and have a company that does this) I love the peace and tranquility of being out camping even more. The very last thing I would want while vacationing/camping/visiting a part area would be the quietness broken by the buzz/hum of a sUAS. This is outside of any wildlife concerns or safety concerns. This is purely not a good place to have drones flying around spoiling it for the majority of visitors.

There are documented cases of drone operators buzzing wildlife across YouTube. While most of us would respectfully stay high and try to not affect the wildlife in any way there are many (more than you'd think) who would get a kick out of watching the animals scatter/run from the aircraft.

And those offenders should be dealt with. But we don't ban driving because some people are unsafe.

I get the peace and tranquility though. Maybe have a few days out of the month authorized for sUAS flights. It's not hard to find a good compromise and the blanket ban is nothing more than a sign of laziness.

And those offenders should be dealt with. But we don't ban driving because some people are unsafe.

I get the peace and tranquility though. Maybe have a few days out of the month authorized for sUAS flights. It's not hard to find a good compromise and the blanket ban is nothing more than a sign of laziness.

Keep in mind we are on the cutting edge of new technology and as such we get the most arrows in our backs. The NPS ban was put into place until they can wrap their minds around the problem and devise a better solution. I'm confident that as time passes and we can demonstrate our ability to fly safely and within existing regulations we might have a chance to help lessen regulations in the future. It's ultimately up to our community to prove ourselves like it or not.

So a P3 at 200-300 feet is separating the adults from the young animals?

Any links to support this claim?

Any links to show that all drones flown around wildlife will always be at a minimum of 200-300'? There are _plenty_ of videos showing people flying right down to wild animals and spooking them, causing them to run away at full speed. If you really think people won't _continue_ to do this then I don't know what to tell you.

drone wildlife - YouTube

My personal experience is that wildlife doesn't care about my P3. If the parks had said "a majority of our visitors are annoyed by the drones" it would make a little sense, but the wildlife disruption line is BS.
I'm not sure what your "experience" is but you are 100% incorrect if you think a drone at 50, 100 or even 200' won't spook wild animals. Again, you only need to do a search on Youtube to confirm this.

At 1:05 I'm about 1000' feet away from wild burros and they start to run at a good clip. So please don't tell me that drones won't spook wildlife. It's simply incorrect. Horses are extremely sensitive to things above them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone could buzz the bison at 20', just make the minimum fine $50,000 and prosecute whoever does it. Problem solved and you only effect those who are actually a problem.

Problem solved? The problem is that is was _done_.. how does a fine after the fact "solve the problem"?
[/QUOTE] A fine, in affect, is just a "my bad". The damage has been done and cannot be corrected.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In some cases fines are.... fine. However, in this case we know full well that people _will_ buzz wildlife if drone are permitted in the area. In this case there are also other reasons (good reasons) why drones should not be allowed in National Parks. They take away from the enjoyment of others. The issue with wildlife is a secondary reason for the ban.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to fly in a National Park. But my mindset of allowing other people to enjoy the park far out weights my "need" to get an aerial photo. I'd like to see drones restricted in only certain areas of National Parks but this area would still need to be huge. You'd then have the issue of trying to outline those areas.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

So you spend thousands of dollars to come to the US to visit some national parks with your family only to have to deal with a concentration of drones on the day of your visit? Now think about thousands of people who this would affect for that one day.

It's ultimately up to our community to prove ourselves like it or not.

I don't see this changing. It's one person's benefit vs thousands. Millions of people can use spray paint as intended but there will _always_ be people who abuse it. As a result I need to show ID when I buy it. The people who don't care, are clueless or just showing bad judgment will always exist in numbers.

As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a solution. I'm just being real in that I don't see National Parks changing their rules.

have I flown in areas that ban drones? Yes. I'm not saying I'm better then anyone else. It's just my opinion.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.