First Crash - What to Check

Reaction score
Crashed pretty hard today. I thought I had GPS but I guess by the time it took off, it lost it.
Anyway, no major outside damage aside from 3 broken props but there was some rattling on the inside.
Opened it up, and found the spacer and c-clip that secure motor shaft fell off.
Put it back on and buttoned everything up.

Now, the question is, is there anything that I can check through software to make sure all systems are working a OK before another flight? I did power it on inside of the house and I was getting green GPS lights which concerned me that it was indicating false-positive GPS signal.

Thanks

Advanced calibration of the IMU. Check the calibration of the flight controls in the Phantom Assistant software. Check smooth rotation of motors. Check for play in the motors (take props off, try to wiggle threaded top of each motor, try to pull it up.) Calibrate compass. Do a test flight looking for anything unusual. Basic movements. Feel motors after flight for any differences in heat compared to others.

ianwood said:
Advanced calibration of the IMU. Check the calibration of the flight controls in the Phantom Assistant software. Check smooth rotation of motors. Check for play in the motors (take props off, try to wiggle threaded top of each motor, try to pull it up.) Calibrate compass. Do a test flight looking for anything unusual. Basic movements. Feel motors after flight for any differences in heat compared to others.

+1 on all of that

Also, check to make sure the distance from prop tip to shell is the same on all props at the closest point between them, like in this pic:
riTnxasl.jpg

Sometimes a crash can cause a motor(s) to sit uneven in the mounts, which would be evident in that test.

Thanks! It appears that so far, everything checks out.
One thing that I wasn't sure what it meant was when I tried advanced calibration, I got a message that the temperature is too high and that I should let it cool off and try again ...

It was stone cold and calibration seems to have completed anyway.

The "FC temp too high" message is a known bug in the Assistant software, you can just keep clicking past it until it lets you complete the process.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl