First 5000ft plus flight!

Try painting your drone with Pink and green florescent paint. You can see it much farther away than white.I did 10,500 with fpvlr and had spotters along the rout.It was a test search so we had S&R personal along the rout.Also the pink in front and green in back you can tell which direction it is pointing.I didn't take it apart to paint some went in vents but doesn't effect the performance.I painted all of my drones same way with no performance problem.Just cover motors and camera and gimble.Also for twilight flying the polar pro lights work great.I paid $39.00 us for mine but I think they went up in price.You can see it for 3500 feet or more I had trees in the way.If you heat up the side with switch on it and bend it.You can put it on the p4 also.Here is one on my p4 before I paint it to match.Note it is also on backwards it doesn't fit over battery so turn it around.

Attachments

• 1521331603986-279246871.jpg
    1521331603986-279246871.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 380
  • 1521332049537464918702.jpg
    1521332049537464918702.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 359
Reactions: Cellblock776
1521343375448.jpg

11,493' is my furthest flight. And I have zero mods. It's possible just need to pay attention to signal and keep readjusting the antenna and R/C angle. Height plays a big role also.

And an area with no WiFi congestion will drastically help.

(Check out top speed. I keep trying to get 60mph... one day hopefully)

"That's amazing", said the FAA VLOS enforcement officer.
I was in country area, on my families tobacco farm. Clear line of site. Was testing how far I could see my 4 strobon strobes. And at just over 2 miles I was able to still see them and tell my orientation.

And my speed was on the way back. My battery was getting low so I switched to atti to speed it up and shutdown GPS to conserve battery. Def got alittle help from the wind.

Absolutely no faa "GUIDELINES" were broken.

This is a shame. What was the price difference between the Standard, Advanced, and Pro? I guess, without reviewing it, it must have been considerable, or some people bought the standard, without knowing all the details. I've had two P3P's, and their max range has rivaled the P4, and my Mavic. I've gone on expeditions out over the ocean at midnight, and 3 miles was about it. The condos on the shoreline is a surreal sight from there at that hour, and knowing the money you have in the quad, it even is exciting. Bullet proof reliable though, in my experience. Once I turned off the remote with the P3P a mile away to show some friends how it would come back, and I wasn't even nervous.

There's something about radio communication over water. It seems that all frequencies benefit from propagating over water. Maybe it provides a better ground? I'll leave the science to those much more qualified than me. I'm just reporting my empirical observations. Even if it's not a massive body of water RF signals do better. I noticed this going up and down a river.
I've noticed it with flights over the ocean, and attributed most of it to the water, figuring a ground plane was at work. But I didn't have a field out in the middle of nowhere with guaranteed no interference to compare it to. So I thought some of it could have been do to the clean RF interference environment. At night, you can keep a quad in VLOS at incredible ranges because of the lights. Does the FAA say anything about having to fly it by VOS, or just having it IN VLOS? LOL

A good tip that saved me once on a racing quad, and could also be applicable to a Phantom under certain conditions: If your quad is a spec, orientation is about impossible. You want to make it come back to you. Make it go forward, and observe whether it's moving to the left or to the right. Whatever direction it's moving, turn in that direction, and try going forward again. When there is no left or right relative movement, it''s coming towards you.

Reactions: capposteve
Agreed ... I can see, as said above ... if I don't blink, maybe 1000-1500 feet. VLOS is required for both recreational or FAA licensed pilots. With a little imagination, you can do great photography, cinematography, and just have fun flying within VLOS.

Those saying "the rules are not for me" will be the first to complain when DJI updates their software with distance constraints that can't be removed.

Or better yet, that require a pilots lic. to access functions not available to hobbyist. I would hate to see this, but that is what it's going to come to.

I have very mixed feelings on the situation. I fully agree with the safety concerns when it comes to VLOS, however, We now live in a society where uber cars are driving themselves, Amazon is delivering via drone, we have military that is using unmanned AC all without VLOS. We also have seat belt laws yet motorcycle helmets are not required. Just an observation that all things should remain equal across the board. Now, I also believe it should be acceptable to fly without VLOS but require a training course(s) AND an additional license and fees IF you choose to opt in to such an agreement. As with anything, beginners should not go beyond VLOS. But I believe with the proper training we have drone pilots that are VERY capable of flying those distances safely.

I can't speak highly enough for the strobon strobes. I have 2 green one the rear and 2 red on the front in -45° mounts and a white one facing straight -90° down.

I can see my drone about 2 miles until the colors start to seem blue. During a bright day it's much shorter. But I can even tell orientation just by which colors I'm seeing on the left or right..

Reactions: ghutch
I can't speak highly enough for the strobon strobes. I have 2 green one the rear and 2 red on the front in -45° mounts and a white one facing straight -90° down.

I can see my drone about 2 miles until the colors start to seem blue. During a bright day it's much shorter. But I can even tell orientation just by which colors I'm seeing on the left or right..
What drone do you have and how are you mounting them?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj