Firmware updates

Reaction score
So I have read several threads about updating firmware. Seems like some say if everything if working fine don't up date and others say to go ahead and update the firmware. Which should I do?
Also should I make a new password instead of the 12341234? I haven't did it. I just pressed Cancel. Really didn't see any use and changing it. Should I make a new one.

As you may have guessed, updating the firmware is a very personal decision, often times shaped by previous experiences. Based on a visible number of less enthusiastic experiences found in this forum, there is some anecdotal evidence which may suggest that, under certain circumstances, you may encounter performance issues after doing an update. On the other hand, there is also a group which urges others to "man up", throw caution to the wind, and do the updates. Not surprisingly, that group has emerged from updates unscathed. I personally subscribe to the "if it ain't broke" philosophy, having endured a less than rewarding update experience. Again, that's my personal view. All I can say is to think your decision through before you pull the trigger. In any event, many of us have survived updates gone bad and lived to tell about it, and we're here to help should you find yourself in one of those unfortunate scenarios. Good luck with whichever path you choose. Just my three cents as two cents didn't cover it.

Which should I do?
It's up to you. I personally like to install the latest updates to take advantage of the latest changes.

should I make a new password instead of the 12341234?
Unless you're trying to prevent someone from flying your Phantom, there's no advantage to changing the password.

Seems like some say if everything if working fine don't up date and others say to go ahead and update the firmware. Which should I do?

My working theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Updating firmware can be a crapshoot, kind of like opening a can of worms. I've been ignoring an FW update notice on my p3p for almost a year now. It flies fine and I like it just as it is.

Also should I make a new password instead of the 12341234?

When I had my first Standard I never changed it.

I flew it today and ad far ad I know it did fine so I think I will leave it alone for now. I am not going to change the password either. Thanks for the advice. I need all I can get at this stage.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
My working theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Updating firmware can be a crapshoot, kind of like opening a can of worms. I've been ignoring an FW update notice on my p3p for almost a year now. It flies fine and I like it just as it is.

When I had my first Standard I never changed it.
I think it is a little wiser as well to keep on the known working condition. Heard some horrible experiences from new firmware updates on other devices.

My P3P is still on 1.4!! and have full use of the latest DJIgo app and Litchi app. Yea both parties say to have the latest firmware installed for safe flight, but this i chock to a safety thing on their part. I don't have a problem though running older versions of both apps and find that I get less restrictions and pop ups with using the older apps....(DJIgo 2.4.3 and Litchi 4.1.2).
But hey, If you need to know that a school is next to you or an "old no longer used hospital with a heli pad" close by...for all means...keep updated!!

I've been running v1.8.10 ever since the one and only update 18 months ago (which didn't go well). My P3S flies beautifully without any issues and gets some truly outstanding range, considering its inhertent limitations. In some ways, I enjoy it more than my P4. Call me superstitious, but I really don't want to risk losing any of that.

I have a model railroad museum project where the trains will be run by software on a computer. In this case, I would tend to hold everything regarding updates. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. On the other hand, for my own drown, I typically favor making updates when available. Updates are usually making more fixes than documented. The issue is you need to update everything according to the listing of the vendor for current software. For DJI, that includes DJI Go 4, the controller, and the drone. You want to make sure you have the components that DJI has tested together.

So I have read several threads about updating firmware. Seems like some say if everything if working fine don't up date and others say to go ahead and update the firmware. Which should I do?
Also should I make a new password instead of the 12341234? I haven't did it. I just pressed Cancel. Really didn't see any use and changing it. Should I make a new one.

Hi..I am not a technician and need to precisely follow direction from the creator of the aircraft..
Doing this establishes a base line for any problems you may have..
Most all manufactures encourage the buyer to upgrade firmware and software when available...
Semper Fi

I am still on firmware '509', released during the 1st QTR of 2017 and it still works perfectly !!! ... '509' is the last quality firmware update DJI released BEFORE all of the NO-FLY ZONE updates & the many 'feature' debacles following it ... some of the many logged issues may now be finally resolved (the jury is still out on that one) but there were so many horror stories as a result all of those jammed-in updates following '509', that it ruined my faith in any sound software regression testing practices being observed at DJI before any new release is sent out to the public.

If you own a DJI Drone, it is a significant $$ investment and the quality of the firmware controlling it is directly related to the successful safe operation and SURVIVAL of your drone ... so be wary of ANY updates until they have been well vetted by many other users over at least several months before even considering loading one in your expensive hardware.

Remember - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!"

Reactions: Timinator

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik