Firmware update?

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed over and over BUT, as a new p4p owner (still in the box) I honestly am scared to death to turn it on. Some say update the RC first. Others say update the Drone first. Which is it? Does the SD card on a new drone need to be formatted? I honestly don't know what to do. Thanks.

Right out of the box it should work without you doing anything. I suggest running it as is first. You can check the software version and it will tell you if an update is available. You will want to make sure it runs correctly now before making changes. I don't have the 4pro so others will surely chime in on any advantages or pitfalls of updating. In the case of the P4, some have had problems with the latest update.

Your SD card is ready out of the box. Fly and have fun!

Geo

Charge up the drone battery and use Assistant 2.0 from the DJI wesbite, set up your online account, do the firmware updates with it if it asks via a USB cable from Windows/Assistant 2 to the drone, and then calibrate the VPS sensors with Assistant 2. No need for the micro-SD card yet and I leave it out when I do mine. I'd also make a backup copy of the stock DJI SD card beforehand too just in case you need info off it later.

Then do the RC transmitter unit if it asks in GO 4 via your Wi-Fi. Might need to do a re-link to the RC and P4P too after all this. Then do your IMU and compass calibrations.

Then format the micro-SD card in the drone via GO 4 and not in a computer. The drone writes some extra files to the SD when it formats in the drone itself so do it there.

Some others may do it a different way, but so far I haven't bricked the unit...yet. Got bad updates that operate funky, but that's to be expected with DJI as normal it seems. If it does brick, exchange it immediately for another with your dealer rather than send it to DJI if at all possible as you'll likely get a refurb for the effort and a lot of wasted time and effort too. If it's a bad unit, better you find out now than wait and learn later you can't exchange it and need to spend a month or more with DJI Service matters. I did that with a new Inspire 2 out of Best Buy figuring if it tanks during all the updates, I have 14 days to take it back for another and DJI can have it back NOW! If I waited more than 14 days, I own it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I know this has been discussed over and over BUT, as a new p4p owner (still in the box) I honestly am scared to death to turn it on. Some say update the RC first. Others say update the Drone first. Which is it? Does the SD card on a new drone need to be formatted? I honestly don't know what to do. Thanks.

I just went though this, did a lot of research, got confusing data and advice.

Finally, chatted with DJI Support, the man asked me what phone or tablet I intended to use, I told him. He said, no problems, update every thing and go fly.

I figured I had to fly it before my return date ran out. I set it up, plugged in the controller and followed instructions as Go 4 4.1.4 said I needed to update, mainly yes, I want to update everything Then it had me calibrate the imu and was happy.

Flew a bit, no problems, had a good time in Beginner mode, so I
Could relax and learn.

Next day, it updated DJI GO 4, to 4.1.5. Again it updated everything, I had to calibrate everything but the imu, did compass out at my site. Flew with no issues, turned off beginner mode and ran a couple of batteries down.

No problems, all working, latest updates and firmware.

Can't tell you what to do though. Not an easy choice I guess?

Does anybody anybody out there know anything about taking a dji phantom 4 to la paloma lodge on drake bay in costa rica if you do PLEASE HELP ME i cannot seem to find anything on it or if i am even allowd toi really wanna take my drone any help is apreceated thanks

I just went though this, did a lot of research, got confusing data and advice.

Finally, chatted with DJI Support, the man asked me what phone or tablet I intended to use, I told him. He said, no problems, update every thing and go fly.

I figured I had to fly it before my return date ran out. I set it up, plugged in the controller and followed instructions as Go 4 4.1.4 said I needed to update, mainly yes, I want to update everything Then it had me calibrate the imu and was happy.

Flew a bit, no problems, had a good time in Beginner mode, so I
Could relax and learn.

Next day, it updated DJI GO 4, to 4.1.5. Again it updated everything, I had to calibrate everything but the imu, did compass out at my site. Flew with no issues, turned off beginner mode and ran a couple of batteries down.

No problems, all working, latest updates and firmware.

Can't tell you what to do though. Not an easy choice I guess?

I took BQ's advice and decided to just do it. Installed all updates. Flew in beginners mode just to check the flight and everything went just fine. I'll update later after I do a full flight. Thanks BQ. Btw, using iPad mini 2.

Ok, took the bird off of beginner. Didn't go far, always in line of sight, and flew perfectly. All firmware updates were completed and zero problems - so far. Have not tried RTH yet, will try tomorrow. Set to return at 400 ft since I am in the mountains, lots of really big trees. Not sure why all the problems with FW updating, but in my case it was flawless. Just lucky I guess. I did update the RC first, per instructions and then the drone. Have two batteries and did update each battery. So far, so good. Rebooted each time I did the updates.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
designerbags