Firmware update to brand new P2 Vision - and a video

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I just bought a brand new Phantom 2 Vision. I've flown it twice, and now I want to upgrade the firmware. My problem is that I'm finding conflicting information on this. One video I found (and I can't find it again now), the fellow says that after the update, you have to recalibrate everything - compass, GPS, RC controller, IMU, all kinds of stuff. He also downloads a default settings file. It took like 30 or 45 minutes. Is this necessary, or do you just do the update and your done? I wasn't sure if this was for the older Phantom models, or if this is necessary for the new one as well. The user guide does not mention recalibrating anything after a firmware update. The firmware update looks simple, all of the recalibrating afterwards does not look simple.

Another video (the German one), the fellow takes apart the RC controller and updates it. Yikes, do I really have to disassemble the RC controller right after I buy this thing? And if I do, does all of that have to recalibrated?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! Oh, and I know how much folks like videos.. so here's one from my second flight, shot two days ago:

http://youtu.be/0KAtZ5WZvJc

The first video you refer to sounds like someone was updating a first generation Phantom. With the Vision, there's no need for a default settings file, for example. You can use the Assistant software to check all your readings are within tolerances, and if they are - no IMU calibration required (even if it is, that takes a couple of minutes and requires no input from you). Instructions on updating procedure are in the manual. Incidentally there is another update just announced today...

Regarding the transmitter update... does your transmitter have an external usb port on it? If so, no need to open her up. If it doesn't then you will need to open it to get to the internal port. It's not too tricky, just be careful not to pull the antenna connection wire too much as that has resulted in problems.

FWIW my method for opening the Tx is to do it with the sticks facing down (i.e. looking at the back of the unit). I rested it on an old piece of packing foam to protect the sticks. Take the screws out, then separate the two halves a small amount at the bottom, by the battery tray. Once you have that done then apply some downward pressure (i.e. pulling the back part of the case gently in a direction away from the antenna) whilst wiggling the case from side to side a little. This should release it from the small collar at the base of the antenna.

Hope this helps.

This is very helpful, thank you!

My transmitter does not have an external USB port. I'm okay with opening it up and updating the firmware there too, I just didn't want to have to mess with a bunch of settings and calibrations after the update. So it sounds like all I have to do is update.

Thanks!
Stan

Yup, I did all the firmware updates and left all values as defaults. I did a standard IMU calibration because I might as well as the Vision was all plugged in. It took a couple of minutes. Flew next day without issues.

Just be aware that as you are going through the updates it will trigger an "invalid battery" error. Don't panic, just ignore it and carry on with the subsequent updates. It's part of the fix for the initial problems people were having with this and one of the subsequent updates you'll do clears the error.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj