P4 Firmware Firmware update on my Phantom 4

Reaction score
I carried out the latest firmware update on my Phantom 4 in late January 2020. The firmware installation failed and the camera stopped operating. All was working correctly prior to the update. I tried the DJI Assistant 2 to no avail to repair the issue. I then contacted Ferntech NZ Ltd and sent my P4 to them in early February 2020. I was inform by their repair technician that the 3-in-1 board needs replacing, at a cost of $580.00 NZD.

Did this happen because of the firmware update, or was the 3-in-1 board faulty?
All seems somewhat strange as everything was working correctly, even after the update I had full control of the P4, only the camera wasn't working. The camera commands all worked as well, there were stills and video files. When played back, just a blank screen. When powering up the P4, it went through all the self checks, as it normally does, the remote had a green light, the P4 link button had a green light then after a few seconds the P4 link button started flashing I believe in the sequence of Red, Green, Yellow.

Hope this information can help others if they experience the same issue.
Regards
Biggles NZ

I’m a firm believer in the if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it routine. The firmware release notes are available to read prior to pushing that button. If there is something in that update that you can’t live without, push the button.
If the aircraft is working fine where it was, may be better off with leaving things alone. Sorry for your loss and hopefully you get it worked out.

Yes I am also a believer in "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it." Also where is the file relating to the firmware release notes are available to read prior to pushing that button ? I had no such file linking me to that info when the unit is up and running, it wasn't until the app linked to the internet stating there is a "Firmware update required" So one believes they are doing the right thing by pushing the button... And yes there was plenty of battery life in the P4 and the remote.
And your are sorry for my loss, how sympathetic you are, all is not lost as it has cost me $580.00 NZD to have it repaired. They had to replace the 3-in-1 board, apparently caused by the latest Firmware update. But one will never know as I didn't get the reasoning why the 3-in-1 board failed.

The question one has to ask then; Why are these so call required Firmware updates put out there?

Now being a new member of this website, I am reading through these forums, there nothing but issues with a majority of these so call Firmware Required Updates. Just don't put them out there, as there will many more like me who will get caught into this trap and at our expense, and DJI's profits so to say. These Drones are expensive as they are for the basic unit.

regards
Biggles

Release notes are visible via the assistant 2 on a computer. Updates are not required and that is the reason for the ever powerful “ignore” button.
I seem to remember there was a required update on the mavic mini, but it was the only one I’ve ever seen.

The Phantom 4 is a pretty old drone. You wouldn't think they would still be putting out firmware updates?

Apple updated their old phones and I understand it may have caused deliberate problems to slow the phone down to force new purchases.. just saying... also after I did the latest firm update the other day I was getting blank pictures going to my iPad and Memory card, I posted a comment or here as to what could be the problem after the update. Didn’t get any feedback so just for the heck of it I purchased a new card and all works fine now. I won’t be doing any more updates

Reactions: Capt KO
The Phantom 4 is a pretty old drone. You wouldn't think they would still be putting out firmware updates?
Nope, they’re all old. If it flies great, leave it alone. Hope the new card does the trick for him.

DJI is a foreign (Chinese) company. I must admit my support experience with DJI has been limited to only one instance, a crash caused by my own carelessness. I sent my DJI Phantom 4 standard to one of there USA repair facilities at my expense and I did receive good service. However, if one were to follow the DJI related forums, DJI hasn’t the greatest rep for being customer oriented. They are in the business to make a profit and that I understand. However, there would appear that there are numerous instances were they are aware of situations that are injurious to DJI products and they refuse to notify their end user. Mysterious hardware/software problems ESPECIALLY after updates. The Mavic Mini (and other models) are having flyaways and autonomous flight control issues etc. Yes, the logs sometimes attribute it to pilot error, but I’ve seen a large uptick in logs where it is “unexplained” after being reviewed by forum users. A host of new drone pilots came on the scene after the release of the MM and a lot of issues were directly related to inexperience, but I think DJI could be a lot more forthcoming with issues after so many reports of “unexplained” crashes, unexplained flyaways and erratic flight behaviors. A UAV is a complicated bit of tech, but DJI has been in the game numerous years. DJI drones can cost upwards of $2000.00 depending on the model. For the price of the DJI drone users should have confidence in a product. I know there are those on here that will fight to the death in support of DJI, but my opinion (and that is all it is) from observing this forum and others is that a large number of the issues that users are experiencing could be explained much better if DJI was honest about them. Not all instances can be explained away as pilot error when experienced pilots are experiencing them. It’s too easy to file it under “PILOT ERROR”. After all, what company wants to be held liable in a drone fly off where there are reported injuries or property damage??? Much easier to say “user error” and absolve themselves of any responsibility. Just saying.......

Apple updated their old phones and I understand it may have caused deliberate problems to slow the phone down to force new purchases.. just saying... also after I did the latest firm update the other day I was getting blank pictures going to my iPad and Memory card, I posted a comment or here as to what could be the problem after the update. Didn’t get any feedback so just for the heck of it I purchased a new card and all works fine now. I won’t be doing any more updates
Nope, they’re all old. If it flies great, leave it alone. Hope the new card does the trick for him.
I updated mine two years ago and it flys great so I would really think twice about a new update. I do think it's possible that they would want to ground the older drones.

I am a mavic 2 enterprise user and updated to latest firmware via DJI Assistant 2. Upon successfully updating I lost the ability to see my camera feed while utilizing an iOS device. I still was able to see the telemetry and take pictures and video - it could only be viewed in post however. It was then (lesson learned) I checked the mavic forums and learned to not upgrade if using iOS and DJI's official line was to get an Android. While DJI said the firmware upgrade was non-reversible, I was able to downgrade to a previous version, after trying for several days, and all is well. I had also upgraded my controller firmware without issue. However, I get a warning upon startup that my device and controller are using incompatible firmware - everything still works well though, just have to decline upgrading. So, don't know if that is an issue with the Phantom, but the symptoms seem similar. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Capt KO
Sort of an analogy, but I bought a Ford F-250 with the 6.0L diesel engine which was supposed to have a 20% efficiency increase over its predecessor and lead the pack among the "big 3" US auto makers in torque, HP, and mileage. When I first got it, I got 22 mpg fairly consistently and power was completely satisfactory. It had a few bugs, and one time my wife had to bring it to the dealer for a warranty issue for one of those bugs. I told her explicitly to not let them reprogram the engine computer to the latest firmware but of course they did. My mileage dropped to 17 mpg and performance sucked. Found out later the update was because Ford screwed up on EPA estimates and had to derate the engine. I would never accept one of those updates until I knew for sure the consequences (or possible consequences). Another vote for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Reactions: iowabucks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31